Sign in to follow this  

From start to the holeshot

Hey guys! Thumper newb here Aka, Robert.

So first as a little background on myself. I have been riding quite a while now, since I was 8 and I'm 21 now. Always on trails and on mellow, boring bikes (aka, Ttr's) Also had some experience on my fathers Xr650, a real pig. Recently I apprehended a nice YZ450 with a megabomb, rekluse, KYB, suspension and what not. Since I have been getting comfortable on this machine of course Im considering racing.

The part im so curious about is getting the best starts. On facebook I saw where rekluse mentions starting in 3rd, Which kind of threw me off. Is that typical, or something characteristic of using a rekluse clutch? I would be worried of looping out off the line. Does that also mean most people start in third and ride it out unless absolutely necessary to do otherwise?

Edited by Treton

I run a rekluse in my bike and in my opinion it's the best thing you can have on your bike. While you feather the clutch off the line, the rekluse does a much better job than you can ever do. Third is probably a little to much to pull off consistently and get good starts, but second is perfect. Second would be the most common gear people start in. A third gear start you would have very little chance of looping off the line

Here's a shot from my last race.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EUG_0u_uSw

Yes, I'm slow, but that's a rekluse in second gear off the line. That's the only moto I didn't holeshot that weekend, but also the only one the camera recorded. Go figure..

Edited by wes513v

The higher the starting gear, the less likely you are to loop it. I have a 250F and would never do a third gear start. A 450 though could pull it off. It also depends on the start line traction. Use higher gear for hard pack loose top soil and cement.

The thing I read was speaking in terms of concrete starts. It would definitely be hard the on clutch, but maybe that is the marketing plan. Regardless they told me all you have to do is send it in and they will repack in for $50 at least I believe that is what they told me 

Rekluse is a great product, takes time to get use to it, but once you do, it can pay off with better starts, better grip exiting corners and most of all, when ya crash, its most likely never gonna stall. There are a few Rekluse clutches in use during the AMA nationals, you can see the guys who pick-up their bikes when running and forget to pull in the clutch lever, yet the bike stays running... yea, they've got a rekluse in there. heh ;)

There sadly isn't one magic trick to getting a perfect start. It does take a lot of practice and even the pro's blow it on a regular basis. There are many parts from reading the gate to reaction time, which play critical roles. The physical act of launching isn't too difficult, but its all the ancillary things which go around it, that causes the slowness. Once ya get it down, its a piece of cake to repeat over and over again, Rekluse or not. ;)

Ohh and I don't run a Rekluse, I've got great clutch skills instead. :D