Help choosing a dirtbike

Hey y'all, I'm Jackson, I'm 5'5 or 5'6, and I weigh 120 pounds. I went riding once with my dad when we were both learning, I was on a crf100 and while it was alright for learning, it felt pretty small. Anyway, I won't be able to ride unless I get myself a bike. My mom says I can't get a 2 stroke. As for the type of riding I'll be doing, I think it'll be a combination of track and trail, after all this will have to be my all around bike, so I guess my question is what size four stroke should I get? Thanks in advance!

The logical size is 250f.

I dunno how they stack up these days but if I were to go 4 stroke it would be Yamaha or KTM.

These things are about as reliable as 250fs get, from what I've seen/heard:

http://www.yamahamotorsports.com/sport/products/modelspecs/66/0/specs.aspx

Probably considered a little outdated now, but WR's are good bikes.

Edited by BushPig

How old are you and what kind of budget are you working with?  Why doesn't your mom want you get get a 2 stroke.  They make some of the best all around bikes.  Light weight and nimble on the trails and can still be ridden on the track without issue.  

Tell your mom you want a 125 2 stroke, it's really the best bike for your situation..

How old are you and what kind of budget are you working with?  Why doesn't your mom want you get get a 2 stroke.  They make some of the best all around bikes.  Light weight and nimble on the trails and can still be ridden on the track without issue.  

Im 14, and I don't really know my budget, but I'll have to buy used. My mom didn't specify why I couldn't get a 2 stroke, she just felt strongly that I had to get a 4 stroke, I would love to get a 2, but my mom is adamant, so 4 it is.

Im 14, and I don't really know my budget, but I'll have to buy used. My mom didn't specify why I couldn't get a 2 stroke, she just felt strongly that I had to get a 4 stroke, I would love to get a 2, but my mom is adamant, so 4 it is.

does your mom understand the differences/mechanics of the two it seems like a pretty arbitrary stipulation to me.

does your mom understand the differences/mechanics of the two it seems like a pretty arbitrary stipulation to me.

Essentially what happened was that my mom talked on the phone with her brother who used to ride, and he recommended that I get a 4 stroke, and now my mom wont even consider my getting a 2...

Essentially what happened was that my mom talked on the phone with her brother who used to ride, and he recommended that I get a 4 stroke, and now my mom wont even consider my getting a 2...

hmmm okay that make sense I would talk to your uncle and tell him you want a 125 that fits what you needed either that or a 250f but in the long run the 125 is going to be wayyy cheaper to own/maintain

Big wheel crf150f.

Big wheel crf150f.

hes too big I rode the big wheel when I was like 5'2" he needs a bigger bike for his height/weight

hmmm okay that make sense I would talk to your uncle and tell him you want a 125 that fits what you needed either that or a 250f but in the long run the 125 is going to be wayyy cheaper to own/maintain

He seems to think that I really have to get a four, so sadly I guess a 2 isn't really in the cards. :?

Crf150rb with flywheel weight

He seems to think that I really have to get a four, so sadly I guess a 2 isn't really in the cards. :?

omg don't listen to the crf150rb people you will just outgrow it and fast I'll admit theyare bad little bike but for you go with the 250 so you won't outgrow it for a few years and or ever

tell your mom that while you're friends with 4 strokes are in the shop working on their bikes you will be out riding yours if you get a 2stroke. Plus your or your parents wallet will still have money left after the initial cost, and especially after some maintenance. Only logical move is for a 125.

tell your mom that while you're friends with 4 strokes are in the shop working on their bikes you will be out riding yours if you get a 2stroke. Plus your or your parents wallet will still have money left after the initial cost, and especially after some maintenance. Only logical move is for a 125.

I'll be sure to tell her that, I've made all of these arguments before though... It doesn't help that she's never ridden and knows nothing about dirtbikes...

I'll be sure to tell her that, I've made all of these arguments before though... It doesn't help that she's never ridden and knows nothing about dirtbikes...

okay well show her the forum. Every one says 2 stroke because is logical.

okay well show her the forum. Every one says 2 stroke because is logical.

That's exactly what Im going to do

hes too big I rode the big wheel when I was like 5'2" he needs a bigger bike for his height/weight

Then lay of the fish sticks!

omg don't listen to the crf150rb people you will just outgrow it and fast I'll admit theyare bad little bike but for you go with the 250 so you won't outgrow it for a few years and or ever

Hey man...hes asking everyones opinion, not just yours. FWIW, I weigh 185 and have gotten in trouble on a 250f.

Hey man...hes asking everyones opinion, not just yours. FWIW, I weigh 185 and have gotten in trouble on a 250f.

experience and skill is key.