Sign in to follow this  

Another Transmission shifting issue question

2010 RM-z 250....

So long story short, bought the bike, had shifting issues....

I replaced the detent spring with the 450 spring and put the +10 hammerhead shifter on.... It does not want to seem to shift from 2nd to 3rd most of the time... Takes a few tries to get it to shift most of the time, especially when it's heated.... I'm willing to do just about anything to a bike except open the tranny, I've watched a few videos and I could see it costing me way more than if I took it to a shop. So I'm going to call around and get some quotes but I need to know what to tell them the issue may be... A few of the threads I've read mentioned the gear doggs and the shift forks... Is there anything I need to ask them to check?

I plan on taking the motor out to deliver it, does anyone know about what a fair price would be? Anything else I should be sure to ask, I've never took a bike in for service, don't really want to now but I'd rather it be done right....

2010 RM-z 250....

So long story short, bought the bike, had shifting issues....

I replaced the detent spring with the 450 spring and put the +10 hammerhead shifter on.... It does not want to seem to shift from 2nd to 3rd most of the time... Takes a few tries to get it to shift most of the time, especially when it's heated.... I'm willing to do just about anything to a bike except open the tranny, I've watched a few videos and I could see it costing me way more than if I took it to a shop. So I'm going to call around and get some quotes but I need to know what to tell them the issue may be... A few of the threads I've read mentioned the gear doggs and the shift forks... Is there anything I need to ask them to check?

I plan on taking the motor out to deliver it, does anyone know about what a fair price would be? Anything else I should be sure to ask, I've never took a bike in for service, don't really want to now but I'd rather it be done right....

The tranny is nothing to be afraid of if you are moderately good with wrenches, The rmz service manual (07 - 12) has a very good step by step on the tranny. unfortunately the design of the shifting mechanism in the above mentioned models is subpar and inherently notchy. the issue was remedied in the 2013 models with a complete transmission redesign. if your thinking its not normal than it probably isnt so it wouldnt hurt to get in there, especially if the previous owner put a lot of hrs on it.

What and where does the detent spring go? I'm on Rockymountainmc.com looking a a schematic of the transmission and I don't see it.. is there another name? I have my 13' torn down and want to replace it with a 13' 450 spring.

It's number 22 on the schematic  for 2013 450.... Although from what I understand they've redesigned everything for 2013 and all should be good.

It's number 22 on the schematic for 2013 450.... Although from what I understand they've redesigned everything for 2013 and all should be good.

you probably right man. Because I called a lot of people yesterday and no body has done the swap from what they said.

you probably right man. Because I called a lot of people yesterday and no body has done the swap from what they said.

i havent heard of any legit problems with the 2013 tranny as of yet so you are probably good to go. the detent spring can be found under gear shifting section of the microfiches and not the transmission section. it is located behind your clutch basket and actuates a rolling lever that runs on the shift drum cam. for the 2013 model its part number is 25355-49H10