sum1 please help me choose a bike

hi guys im new here and new to bikes I have probly 1 hr total riding time over the space of 15 years so basically non existant I have seen 2 bikes that I like but I am open to suggestions on what would really suit me

im 6'2

220-230lbs

mostly want to ride trails but would prefer to be able to do trail and some track riding not racing tho

2 bikes that stuck out to me were the ktm 150sx and the ktm 250xsf like I said im looking to ride the bike and not have the bike end up riding me so please drop a reply if ur willing to help me out with this dilemma thanks in advance :~)

Honda CRF 250.  

Out of the 2 you like ... The Ktm 250

my bro n law has a crf250r that hes rather anal about letting me ride its brand new so I can c why he wont let me jump on it lol

To be honest at 6'2 230lbs a 125 is not a good idea your gonna want a ktm 300 or yz450 rmz450 kx450 i feel track bikes do better on trails then trail bikes on tracks and no Hondas to much maintenance for a first bike and please don't think that cc size has anything to do with difficulty a 125 2 smoker might end up being harder to ride then a 450 if you struggle with power bands I would say get a 450 4stroke you don't out grow them.

so a 450 is ok for a total noob getting into riding aslong as it a 4 stroke I was going to get a 250 4 stroke didn't really want a 2 stroke as ive heard they are all or nothing when it comes to power so what is ur guys perferd 450 + 250 models then and Im 28 and don't think my height and weight is really going to change much I pretty athletic so only thing I may get lighter

so a 450 is ok for a total noob getting into riding aslong as it a 4 stroke I was going to get a 250 4 stroke didn't really want a 2 stroke as ive heard they are all or nothing when it comes to power so what is ur guys perferd 450 + 250 models then and Im 28 and don't think my height and weight is really going to change much I pretty athletic so only thing I may get lighter

what are you looking to spend the yz is always a good first bike things pretty bulletproof 450 or 250 I just like the bottom ends on 450s make it nice for a trail/track bike good luck man and let us know what you end up getting

You could buy an older trail bike like an xr400 or drz 400 to learn on? After you get used to it and want to change you could probably sell it for what you paid for it. Maybe ride some friends bike and get a feel for what you like best. I'm glad I didn't start on a full blown racing bike. I've actually enjoyed my xr250 better for the terrain I ride due to it's size and height. Im 5'9 and 155 though!

I really do like a ktm unfortunately in my area atm theres an oil boom so evrythings just rocketed in price including craigslist and a brand new bike just aint going to happen just yet so may have to travel to pic one up the closest one I found a ktm 250sxf at a decent price was in new mexico it was nearly 1500 bux cheeper than identical models in my area still looking at the 450 option nothing arround here but 250s also looking at moving up to Colorado in a few months so I thinking ill just get a 450 as ill prob be doing a lot of trail riding up there not a lot of trails here just small patches of waste land and a few lil tracks so what is the difference in weight between a 250 and 450 then roughly? like 20-30lbs? and is it really noticeable on a trail like I said im not going to be doing any racing maybe go to a track once in a while but not doing any serious racing just hanging with friends really

Edited by village_idiot

I really do like a ktm unfortunately in my area atm theres an oil boom so evrythings just rocketed in price including craigslist and a brand new bike just aint going to happen just yet so may have to travel to pic one up the closest one I found a ktm 250sxf at a decent price was in new mexico it was nearly 1500 bux cheeper than identical models in my area still looking at the 450 option nothing arround here but 250s also looking at moving up to Colorado in a few months so I thinking ill just get a 450 as ill prob be doing a lot of trail riding up there not a lot of trails here just small patches of waste land and a few lil tracks so what is the difference in weight between a 250 and 450 then roughly? like 20-30lbs? and is it really noticeable on a trail like I said im not going to be doing any racing maybe go to a track once in a while but not doing any serious racing just hanging with friends really

Crf450x. Nuff said

I would also second the motion on a Drz400 or XR400. Those bikes are everywhere. They are cheap, reliable, and low maintenance. Any MX bike you are searching for will be high strung, and maintenance through the roof. At your size, the weight of the bike wouldn't really matter too much, you should be strong enough to whip anything around.

A drz 400e plated would be a great starter bike. I would say the xr400 would be better however if you do plan a trip to the track at times. Respring, and revalve and the bike would be awesome.

Edited by High Society

I also agree with the DRZ400. I had one for my first street legal bike and have one today. I never got bored with it and it never let me down.

Hey if you are planning to move to Colorado....I recommend not getting a YZ450F or CRF450F or KX450F for riding here.  They are a handful for the trail and cant be ridden slowly.  The only people who can trail ride an MX bike effectively are very experienced riders (in my opinion).  I would look at something like a WR450F, CRF450X, KLX450R, KTM 450 XC-W, KTM 400 XC-W

Even at altitude, these bikes have plenty of juice for an inexperienced rider.  A 250 four stroke bike would probably be fine in Texas, but at your size and if you are riding in Colorado usually at 8K+ altitude, you will probably want more power.

The bikes you are looking at are MX bikes.

Also..if you are moving in several months to Colorado...just wait to buy up here.  Best time to buy is during the winter (low demand). 

The bikes you mentioned would be an excellent choice. A nice clean yz 250 would be s good choice also. 4 strokes can be a big gamble if you buy used and 450s aren't forgiving in tight terrain. Someone mentioned the rmz 400 and that would be a good choice if it was clean

No the the 250's IMO.  Go with a 450 of your liking (price range) and save a couple extra bucks for a rekluse clutch to help you out some.  I've always been an advocate for getting the most powerful bike you can afford.  they only go as fast as your throttle wrist tells it to.  Good luck

ok ive done some looking around and these are the choices I have in my area with the funds I have available a ktm 450sxf or a kx450f both are 08 models and theres like 250 bux difference both have upgraded exhaust but other than that they both stock and I forgot theres a yzf450 also but thas a 07 model and bone stock what would benefit me looking for a good solid low/moderate maintenance cost bike and what would most likely hold up better with correct maintenance

found a left over 2012 yz250f for just under 5k is that a good deal its brand new 0 hours I hear they are super durable and I aint racing it so not worried about speed just low maintenance and easy on da wallet

Honestly I would get a dirt cheap bike first like $1000-1200 bike talk someone down for $1500-1800 like a older yz250f if your a beginner you will drop your bike a bunch (i know i did)and you wont need a bike that new with all the perks and power response then once your kicking ass sell it for what you got it for and get that nice 2012 yz or rmz or w/e but if your set on that yz I will say they are awesome bike for a great price I have a 2006 yz250f bought for 2000 with put a header and pipe and rejet I love my 450 but the 250 plenty of power for me

It is indeed a rough situation . You are a bigger guy  as am I , and i dislike the 250fs  all together  imo they are weak . YOU are a beginner  though  that makes a difference  for sure , so if it helps i am about 6ft 1  about 240  and i have ridden every thing from 250 smokers to a 2011 kx 450  in the woods on the track  and they work fine , but a 450  for a newb may not work man there super torqy and  some what heavy . I live in southern wv  btw  and ride a kx 500 now , but i tend to agree with the other guys pick up a cheaper bike to start and ride it a while then move up you will so apreciate a nice new tight bike after rideing a warn one for a while . Xr 400 would be cheap easy to maintain  there basicly bullet proof  and have good power to pull  us full figured  gents around lol . Good luck bro hope u find what u are looking for 

found a left over 2012 yz250f for just under 5k is that a good deal its brand new 0 hours I hear they are super durable and I aint racing it so not worried about speed just low maintenance and easy on da wallet

That sounds like a good price for a leftover 12 yz 250f and you will know exactly what you are getting. Make sure you save enough money for decent gear, and bike maintenance. A 250f will suit you fine for quite some time. With good air filter maintenance and regular oil changes a yamaha 250f is quite reliable and will not need much valve train maintenance. After you get the basics down you will want to upgrade the springs for your weight. I ride a lot of the technical trails here in CO and a 250f is not the most optimum bike but they do work very well for most normal riding. My son used to ride a YZ250f and 2 of my riding buddies are currently riding YZ250f's with 290 kits on them. Both those guys are B level riders and are able to navigate the most technical trails here in CO, and in UT.

CoKTM