Sign in to follow this  

Black sludge on 2 stroke pipe

Ive been getting black sludge running all down my 2 stroke pipe at the head and the end and it was running rich so I leaned it out and it runs amazing but my friend said there should be a pinky width of sludge, is he right and I'm running to lean?

I've never hear of the pinky width of sludge? I don't think that applies, if it does I've never gone by it, and that sludge is called splooge, I see a lot of sploogey two strokes, I don't really worry about it as long as its running fine

• Like 1

Dont use the amount of splooge to determine your jetting, it is irrevelent. Splooge will accumilate in the pipe. The hotter the pipe, more splooge will burn. Just putting around will produce splooge drips. Useally you should be lean enough to have to use the choke on a cold start.

Yeah, spooge production doesn't always have a lot of correlation to jetting, or how it's riden. My KDX is jetted pretty close to perfect, gets leaned on most of the time, but still spooges quite a bit (more than I would like it to anyway).

If it's running out of your pipe flange/head joint, it sounds like you need to replace your crush washer and pipe o-rings to seal the exhaust leak. Then just keep your silencer repacked and it should slow the drool stream to a trickle. 

Ive been getting black sludge running all down my 2 stroke pipe at the head and the end and it was running rich so I leaned it out and it runs amazing but my friend said there should be a pinky width of sludge, is he right and I'm running to lean?

Like the other replies, I have never heard of pinky sludge.  My buddy mixes his gas 32:1, and his whole swingarm is covered in black tar at the end of a ride.  I told him lean your mixture, and rejet your bike it'll run far better.  I don't know if he's done it yet.  My KTM 300 might get a small small little spot of splooge on my silencer where the exhaust comes out, but only if I have to babysit slow riders or something.

running my 125 after i rejetted it produces much less spooge.  However as mentioned it is also affected by how you ride, just putting around always causes more.  When my buddy rides my 125 there's almost none, hes almost always on the pipe adn railing corners making me feel like a chump:P When I ride it im much slower and there's always noticibly more spooge because I'm not running it as hard