Odd electrical issue. Headlight dims as revs increase. Trail tech 40w stator.

I've recently purchased an 02 CRF 450R that has been converted to a supermoto. It has a weird issue where the light gets dimmer the higher the revs go. I would think it should get brighter as rpms increase. Makes me believe something is wired wrong...? The trail tech digital dash will turn off (no battery in trail tech) around mid rpm range and only flicker back on once the rpms fall close to idle again.

The previous owner did a hack wiring job with low grade wire and wire nuts on almost every connection on the bike. I've started to clean up the wiring. Soldering and heat shrinking the permanent connections but would like to be sure what wires are coming off regulator??

Only other concerns I currently see is I can't find any frame ground... where is my frame ground? What should be grounded to the frame? Also there is not s single fuse on the bike. I like having fuses over burnt wires if something were to happen. Where should I put the fuse/holder and what size fuse should I use?

1380194387319.jpg

So you're running ac or dc? If dc you need somewhere for the excess power to go. Small battery or a capacitor. It will either burn up your regulator/rectifier or something else. Energy will dissipate one way or another. It is heat @ the reg/rec if nowhere else to go. I know it doesn't make sense, but I had the same issue. Running a BD Kit. I'm assuming you are running dc being a SM.

Put a 20a fuse dc side of the regulator/rectifier. Everything will be protected that is dc past that point. You should be able to find the reg/rec. it looks like a small metal sealed box that has small heat sync fins. Usually under the seat. You know you are running dc if you have blinkers. Well at least part of your electrical anyway.

The previous owner claims to have installed a trail tech kit. He gave me the battery pack but it isn't installed on the bike.

1380235651834.jpg

1380235668528.jpg

Anyone know where to locate the battery or have a wiring diagram I could follow?

Also I have no idea how long the kit has been ran without a battery. Is it possible that could have damaged anything? Any test I could do to check? Ive got an ohm meter

Put a 20a fuse dc side of the regulator/rectifier. Everything will be protected that is dc past that point. You should be able to find the reg/rec. it looks like a small metal sealed box that has small heat sync fins. Usually under the seat. You know you are running dc if you have blinkers. Well at least part of your electrical anyway.

No blinkers. Just headlight tail light and a trail tech vapor. The reg/rec is in the picture in my first post. Its in the bottom right corner of my frame.

I've found the wiring diagram for my bike I just need on for the trail tech stator, reg/rec, & battery kit.

1380242215479.jpg

Thank you very much for the info & links!! That looks just like the battery pack I received with my bike.

Is it possible reg/rec or anything else could have been damaged from running without the battery PAC installed?

Thank you very much for the info & links!! That looks just like the battery pack I received with my bike.

Is it possible reg/rec or anything else could have been damaged from running without the battery PAC installed?

Yes. Its also possible that the regulator is wired in incorrectly. The way those rec/regs work is by grounding the alternator so they don't over charge. Its possible that the diodes in the rectifier are cooked. 

Finally had time to look over the wiring again today. My reg/rec looks a little different from the one in the kit. It has 5 wires coming off it instead of looking like the 4 wired reg/rec in the kit. Mine had a 5th wire that is half red and half yellow. What is this wire for?? 

1380597338641.jpg

1380597367251.jpg

1380597388414.jpg

Edited by sumosquid

Finally had time to look over the wiring again today. My reg/rec looks a little different from the one in the kit. It has 5 wires coming off it instead of looking like the 4 wired reg/rec in the kit. Mine had a 5th wire that is half red and half yellow. What is this wire for?? 

http://gallery.trailtech.net/media/instructions/lights/regrec/010-ELV-116.pdf