Sign in to follow this  

WR for my Wife - Height Issue...

Greetings all!  Love this site!

So my wife and I currently ride DRZ400's, an SM for me and an S for her.. Her DRZ seat height is too tall, but for onroad/dirt road rides she does pretty good.. Offroad single track is way too much of a challenge for her and she has no interest in doing it..

Moving right along.. We've decided to get back into straight dirt bikes, years ago she had a TTR125 to start with and was unstoppable on it.. As we are looking at bikes, the TTR230 is a good seat height for her, but lacks the power and suspension she is looking for. Over all she just doesn't like it and we've looked at the honda CFR230, etc.. Kids bikes are her statements..

I am going to pick up a WR450, and when we where looking at the dealer, she took a really keen interest into the WR250. Everything about it she likes, the power, the suspension, etc. The Seat Height is just a total deal killer..

In order to get this WR250 setup for her, we'd need the seat height dropped to roughly the TTR230 height.

Yamaha says the seat heights are currently:

WR250 - 38.6 inches

TTR230 - 34.2 Inches

So I have searched all over here on TT - I know about shaving the seat, YamaLinks, etc.. The issue is we are talking about 4+ inches of drop.. Links and seat won't get me that sort of drop, and I don't want to take the suspension so far out of spec that she rides a brick around.

I have read the entire posting on AVRider regarding shortypants riders (/chuckle) and searched all over and my understanding is I would need to send off the suspension to someone to have this modified and setup for her.. 

Need some help please! Who would you trust to do this work? What kind of money do I need to budget to have this done? We are both going to buy brand new bikes, at a dealer, am looking for a 12 left over and will take a 12 or 13 model her for hers. The goal is to work with a dealer who would be happy to sell two new bikes for a good price, but am back to how much money do I need on top of that to setup her suspension so she can ride it. My goal here is to have this done correctly while also giving her the confidence she needs to run the bike like she wants and not constantly be thinking about how she is going to stop/drop the bike..

Thanks for any assistance/advice I've not mentioned above and again love the site!

Are you two planning on staying on dirt roads, or are you two going to start riding bona-fide trails through the woods and riding all of the obstacles you come across out there?

Check out Race Tech. They have a lowering service that can be reversed when you would sell the bike.

Thanks for the heads up, Looked at their website last night and will give them a call later today and see what options they recommend. Had no idea they had such a specialization.

Are you two planning on staying on dirt roads, or are you two going to start riding bona-fide trails through the woods and riding all of the obstacles you come across out there?

No - headed to pure "bona-fide trails"

We use to live in Northern Minnesota, and started out just on dirt trails, her on a TTR-125 and me on an older KX250 2 stroke. Had tons of fun and we thought the DRZ's at that time would be a better fit. Trails and roads etc.. Just after we made the change and sold the dirt only machines, my job changed and moved us around the country a bit. Was able to stay mainly out in the country side on each of the moves and exploring with the DRZ's was fun.

We have now landed in MO and there are no trails here with out driving a distance, too far to ride the DRZ's too. Traffic is also a larger "threat" here so the plan is to keep the DRZ's and add the dirt bikes to the stable.. When we trailer/camp somewhere we'll have the DRZ's with us as well and have the option to ride into town say for dinner with them, but we both seriously miss the off-road only aspect of the bikes.

The plan is to also take several trips a year out west or back up north and stay 4-5 days at various spots to do dirt/trail only riding.

My Job now also includes having a CDL, with the DRZ SM setup with Cams, exhaust, etc.. It attracts too much attention and I can't afford to have any marks on my record. So moving to the WR450 on my end keeps me and the wheelies off the public roads.. =)

Edited by NightLite

Sold my yz450, wr450(plated), klx300r, tw200, klx300r(plated) and bought a 2005 ktm200 exc. If you bought one for your wife she would love it and you would be jealous. Pre 2008 have a low seat height. I used to be anti ktm so no bais here. I may even sell my KDXs.

Personally I think you do all three.  The link and the seat will bring you down 2.5 ish then take the rest with suspension.  Otherwise 4" is a ton to take out with the suspension.  You might find that the 2.5 you get with the link and seat is good.  Lower the triple clamps a bit and you might be there.

4" is probably not practical, usually suspension tuners will only take an inch of travel out of the shock travel.  When you reduce the travel in the rear of the bike either by link or modify the shock it will make the initial travel less plush.