Hi guys, can anyone tell me the differences between cylinder heads for the 2002 to 2007 CR250's?

Looking at the part numbers.....02-04 are the same with a part # change in 2004?

And 05-07 are the same # numbers.

Obviously the piston has a lot to do with the changes, going from flat top (02-04) then to dome top (05-07).

Any owners out there who know the differences and more importantly if the heads are interchangeable between years.......taking into account squish clearances etc?

Thanks

Ironic that I'm going through similar troubles right now myself. I purchased a head off a fellow member for my 06. The part number on the box was for 05-07, but the head is for an 02-04. Anyways that doesn't matter, but what does matter is that the bolt pattern is different. Irregardless of the fact they used different pistons the heads simply won't swap between the cylinders. However I do believe if you buy the cylinder, piston and head of the same year it should bolt to any bottom end from 02-07. And the 05-07 crank, which is the best of the 3rd gens, will work in 02-04 cases as well. Short answer to your question is no the heads themselves do not swap.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Curt what was done to the 03 head you received. I may be interested if you need to sell.

It is still stock from what I can see. Doesn't look to have much run time on it. I don't see myself using it anytime soon, if ever, so I'd sell it if you want it. If your interested PM me and I will give you my email or phone number.

I put an 04 cyl. on my 02. The bike ran great! I was only able to ride it in one race tho and that wasn't the greatest test because the ground was pretty much frozen. I was made an offer on the bike that I couldn't refuse so I was not able to fully test it. Some people don't recommend swapping years because of the porting changes.

• 1 month later...

📎image.jpg

I won these reshaped CR250 heads on eBay ......

02-04 is on the left and 05-07 on the right.

You can pick the differences straight away!

The 02-04 head is noticeably bigger as well as having a different bolt pattern than 05-07

📎image.jpg

I won these reshaped CR250 heads on eBay ......

02-04 is on the left and 05-07 on the right.

You can pick the differences straight away!

The 02-04 head is noticeably bigger as well as having a different bolt pattern than 05-07

hi would you be interested in selling the cylinder head  for the cr 250 05 -07 ?  as i have been sold a 03 cylinder head re assured if would fit onto my 06 cr 250  so went and had it fabricated  to have a decompressor fitted  as due to a leg injury i cant kick mine over  and dont want to tamper with my original head incase i ever come to sell the bike    ps   any body wanting to buy a 03 cr 250 head thats been fabricated for a decompressor  i would resell this one one 

Edited by twanger

hi would you be interested in selling the cylinder head  for the cr 250 05 -07 ?  as i have been sold a 03 cylinder head re assured if would fit onto my 06 cr 250  so went and had it fabricated  to have a decompressor fitted  as due to a leg injury i cant kick mine over  and dont want to tamper with my original head incase i ever come to sell the bike    ps   any body wanting to buy a 03 cr 250 head thats been fabricated for a decompressor  i would resell this one one 

twanger, i would prefer to keep my spare 07 head in case i need it.

i have seen used heads on ebay for as little as $40 if you want to go that way, or even a new head is under $100.

good luck with it

• 11 months later...