Sign in to follow this  

Motorcycle shipping?

Do any of you know an inexpensive shipping company that can take a bike from Las Vegas to Indianapolis area? Any help will be appreciated. .

Do any of you know an inexpensive shipping company that can take a bike from Las Vegas to Indianapolis area? Any help will be appreciated. .

Forward Air.

You have to crate it your self and at most locations drop it off (and or pick up ) dock side.

+1 for Forward Air 

I like that they have fully enclosed containers designed for motorcycles with tie down points. You provide your own locks and tie-downs. Tank has to be drained before locking it in but that's not a huge problem. 

I looked into truck/freight carriers and most of them were nearly the same cost as Forward Air, take twice as long and typically give you a pallet and some moving blankets to protect your bike. 

https://www.forwardair.com/prepaid/MCmainpage.jsp

Using their crate

Estimated shipping costs for one motorcycle from LAS VEGAS, NV (LAS) to INDIANAPOLIS, IN (IND):

Regular - EXC
(98 L * 44.6 W * 47.6 H) 
$ 1010.61

Somewhere in the $800 range if you can crate it yourself and keep the dimensions smaller then above

Here's a quick Google search:

http://www.uship.com/LandingPages/custom/us_long-form_motorcycles_v1_B.html?page=motorcycles&-_motorcycles&gclid=CIKBtrKW1rkCFRPl7AodOAEAHw&alwaysShowCCTA

http://www.funtransport.com/

http://www.dasautoshippers.com/motorcycle-transport

I haven't used any of these myself, I got lucky and found a guy here on TT that was driving his RV and trailer load of bikes across the country and picked mine up.

https://www.forwardair.com/prepaid/MCmainpage.jsp

Using their crate

Estimated shipping costs for one motorcycle from LAS VEGAS, NV (LAS) to INDIANAPOLIS, IN (IND):

Regular - EXC

(98 L * 44.6 W * 47.6 H) 

$ 1010.61

Somewhere in the $800 range if you can crate it yourself and keep the dimensions smaller then above

Damn,  that seems really pricy to me for some reason,   i thought shipping a bike would be about 400-500 max anywhere in the states. 

Id go with a recommended company.  My brother shipped his XR this past summer it turned into a huge hassle, getting it shipped out and picking it up (I can't remember company name).  Granted it was 800$ it would have been 3 weeks late if we didn't drive to pick it up.

Damn,  that seems really pricy to me for some reason,   i thought shipping a bike would be about 400-500 max anywhere in the states. 

Its gone up apparently. In 2009 it was only $550 to ship a DRZ in their crate from Portland OR to Dallas TX

• Like 1

Its gone up apparently. In 2009 it was only $550 to ship a DRZ in their crate from Portland OR to Dallas TX

Did you get it in the Small crate?

Small - SMC

(61 L * 44.5 W * 44 H)

Not seeing how it'll fit.. but that one from OR to TX is only$600

At those prices hauling it myself looks even better. I love to travel but would be doing so with my handicapped wife. Which is a blessing cuz she loves to travel too. Wont be the same as when she had both her legs though...

The round trip by my F-150 (17 mpg) would be about a thou. I guess riding it is out'a the question. Depending on what yur driving, a Harbor Freight cheapy trailer with a single rail would make sense. Invest the $300 or so and you'll still have the trailer when ya get home.

Just ran numbers on uship. $447 lowest $554 70% average. Out of my ball park on both. Oh well....

Did you get it in the Small crate?

Small - SMC

(61 L * 44.5 W * 44 H)

Not seeing how it'll fit.. but that one from OR to TX is only$600

Funny thing about that, I ran the numbers on the small size and the regular size and just couldn't see the small one working either. Its not like you can show up and upsize at the last minute if you book the wrong container so I went with the standard container. My riding buddy and eternal thrifty-skate insisted he could fit his DRZ into the small container and would risk things. I liked the sure thing (former paratrooper) and he wanted to put the big object in the small space (former tanker) :-D

His plan included removing the front wheel, sliding forks up, pulling bars out of mounts and removing rear wheel and fender if needed while placing bike diagonal in the small container. Sadly we never made it to Portland (riding Western TAT) due to another riding buddies WR breaking down to a point we lost too much schedule time to finish.

I checked my old email conformation from Forward Air and the actual amount for PDX to DFW for the standard container was $509.85 in July 2009. 

Edited by ROMAD