'13 yz or '13 250sx-f

Hey all, 

Considering a new yz 250f or possibly the KTM 250sx-f since both of these bikes can be had pretty cheap right now.   I will use the bike for some mx but a whole lot of trail riding.

I'm recently getting back into riding after a 3 year layoff.  My son is now racing 85's again and i'm itching to ride!  Two weeks ago a buddy came to the track and I got to ride his and his son's bikes.  His is an '11 yz450, his sons a '13 ktm 250sx-f.

I did the first moto on the ktm and thought is was a dog.  No bottom end and just seemed slow.  Next moto was on the yz450.  Felt pretty good, could ride the whole track in 3rd/4th gear.  My buddy rode the KTM that round and after coming off the track raved about how good and fun it was.  He said ride it like a 125. So next moto I take the KTM out again and rev the piss out of it.  Holy cow! What a different bike.  Loved it.

So this brings me back to the little yz or the ktm.  I don't know anyone who has the most recent yz250f.  The ktm is about $1000 more than the yz.  I have had a bunch of Yamaha's in the past and they have always been solid bikes.  Does anyone take they yz trail riding too?  I do like the simplicity of the carb vs. the efi, but how is the bottom of the yz compared to the ktm?

The way I look at it is my son can step into this bike in a year or two when he outgrows the 85 and I can get something different if this works out to not be the bike for me. (A part of me thinks a 450 might be more versatile)

The electric start makes for a enjoyable starting experience when your all screwed up in the woods....

I really don't know much from the KTMs from first hand experience but I love my 07 yz450f. It really hasn't given me any problems I take very good care of it though as did the previous owner. I ride mostly desert and trails with it, and it does great for me.

The YZ is lighter and more flickable, most reliable bike in the class. I think the handling and suspension are great. I haven't ridden a newer ktm but I can imagine the motor is stronger and it seems to have more of a rev-happy powerband, as opposed to the YZ power which I feel is very bottom-end/mid oriented. The electric start on the KTM would be cool, especially for woods, like originalmonk said. Tough choice, for sure. I will say that with that extra $1000 you save on initial purchase, you can get a little more power out of the YZ and get the power, where you want it, or get some more add-ons that you might need. Maybe someone who has ridden both back to back will have a better comparison. I personally think the deals on the 13 YZFs right now are an amazing buy, as the bike is so solid. But there is also things about the newer technology of the other brands that is also intriguing. On the KTM, it would just be the monster of a motor and E-start.

Electric start for sure is sweet. I have had a couple ktm's with the button, an '09 250xc and an '08 450xcw.

My practical side is kicking in and maybe I should look for a 300xc for an all around great bike. Especially riding with the kids in the woods. But these 250f's are so damn fun on the track.

I have the '12 YZ250F and use it 95% for trail riding. I really like the bike. I have owned several YZ250Fs (03, 05, 07, 10, and the 12) and beyond reasonable doubt, the 12 is the best of the bunch. Light feeling, excellent combination of stable at speed yet sharp steering, good suspension. For trail riding, the stock suspension is a bit on the firm side, but with revalve it's very good. For top end power, the 12 YZ250F is probably not really that much stronger than the others, but for woods riding, that is just fine. As far as the low-low end and mid range power, which is where you will ride the YZ250F in the woods, it's very strong. 4th gear lower-mid range wheelies are easy, you can motor thru deeper whoops in 5th gear without feeling like it's going to fall off the power. Add this all up, and the 12-13 YZ250Fs are excellent woods bikes. E-button is nice, but it comes with extra lbs. Faster rider will prefer the lighter bike, while riders who spent time on the ground will enjoy the E-button.

I've had '04 and '10 YZ250F's, great motors and suspension on both but the newer bikes definitely turn and handle a lot better. I think Yamaha is giving $1000 rebates on the 2013's right now to try to clear them out before the new ones come out. The pre 2014 YZ's have more bottom to mid power that would be better for trails, and probably better for your son when he moves up to the bigger bike.

YZF for sure. A good friend has the 250KTM and he was miserable in the woods till he added the KTM280 kit. Spent a lot more money to make it almost as good as the stock YZF. And the KTM susp is terrible in the woods, the yzf stuff can be adapted without spending a lot of money.

Edited by YHGEORGE

Yeah I'm really leaning toward the yz at this point.  I did have an '04 with an Athena 290 kit.  Raced it in a few offroad events and it did great unless it was a total slop fest.

The '13 yz can be had for $4999, then I keep looking at the '13 300xc and 450xc and think they would be awesome too....except for the price tag.  $7500 for each of those.

Yeah I'm really leaning toward the yz at this point.  I did have an '04 with an Athena 290 kit.  Raced it in a few offroad events and it did great unless it was a total slop fest.

The '13 yz can be had for $4999, then I keep looking at the '13 300xc and 450xc and think they would be awesome too....except for the price tag.  $7500 for each of those.

Lowest price I have seen is 5999 in my area...can they really be had for 4999?

I've had about 15 mins saddletime on a 13 250 sxf. I liked it somewhat, or i should say I found no real flaws in it other than stock suspension was harsh in the middle of the stroke.

that being said, I agree with your assessment that it has no real bottom end. it needs to be revved and clutched to keep it in the sweet spot. The yzf, if jetted right, has much more bottom end. Change the gearing (lower 1-2 teeth) and it works really well in the woods and well on the track.

Now if you ask the pumpkin guys about this, they'll tell you the pumpkin is better. your choice. bear in mind the dependability greatly favors the yamaha.

i have demo'd the 13'/14' 250sxf's the past 2 years and compared them back to back with my 12'kxf250 last year and 13'rmz250 this year. The ktm feels at LEAST 20lbs heavier, and has very weak lo/mid and then rips on top keeps pulling and pulling. Their tech is good with the new motor (pankl crank etc), but for ktm $$ in a short enough time you can probably get the 14'yzf250!!

Yes, the Yz 250f's are $4999 at most dealers here.  The '13 yz450 is '5999 and the '13 ktm 250f's are 5999.

Since this is going to be a do-all bike for me at the moment I"m rulling out the ktm 250sx-f.

Yes, the Yz 250f's are $4999 at most dealers here. The '13 yz450 is '5999 and the '13 ktm 250f's are 5999.

Since this is going to be a do-all bike for me at the moment I"m rulling out the ktm 250sx-f.

HUH? I'm sorry but the KTM is going to be a better "do it all" bike then the YZF. Add 2 things like a 6spd transmission and electric start make it more versatile right out of the box..... A lower first gear vs the YZFs quite tall 1st will make the KTM wayyyyy better in the bush alone....a lighter clutch pull (hydraulic vs cable), EFI and of course if they were both kick, the KTM would be easier to start anyway because of this....

The only 2 things the YZ250F is going to have over the KTM is better suspension right outta the box. It's also lighter but not by leaps and bounds......

Nothing wrong with the YZFs, great bikes and I owned a '10 but they are not in the same league as a KTM....

pull a 350sxf/xcf clutch and tell me how "light" the pull is!! hyd clutches and light pull do not always go hand in hand is all i'm saying...250sxf is fine tho...

HUH? I'm sorry but the KTM is going to be a better "do it all" bike then the YZF. Add 2 things like a 6spd transmission and electric start make it more versatile right out of the box..... A lower first gear vs the YZFs quite tall 1st will make the KTM wayyyyy better in the bush alone....a lighter clutch pull (hydraulic vs cable), EFI and of course if they were both kick, the KTM would be easier to start anyway because of this....

The only 2 things the YZ250F is going to have over the KTM is better suspension right outta the box. It's also lighter but not by leaps and bounds......

Nothing wrong with the YZFs, great bikes and I owned a '10 but they are not in the same league as a KTM....

I'm missing something here- Why would a hyd clutch make a bike start easier? Pls explain?

The '12/'13 YZ250F is definitely an upgrade from the 2010, so not really an apples to apples comparison.

The newer Yams have diff clutch cable routing that the older Yams, and the clutch lever pull is quite light and substantially less than older YZFs (not sure which yr was the switch). If the clutch pull of a YZ250F is a problem for you, then it's probably time to find a diff hobby.

Six speed tranny could be an advantage, depending where your ride, but you would want to analyze the gear ratios to see the speed spreads.

The E-button is nice at times, but the added weight will always a handicap. If you spend a lot of time wadded up alongside the trail, yeah, get a button. But- if you spend a lot of time wadded up alongside the trail, then a bike with much less low end power is probably a very poor choice.

Edited by BazookaJoe

I'm missing something here- Why would a hyd clutch make a bike start easier? Pls explain?

The '12/'13 YZ250F is definitely an upgrade from the 2010, so not really an apples to apples comparison.

The newer Yams have diff clutch cable routing that the older Yams, and the clutch lever pull is quite light and substantially less than older YZFs (not sure which yr was the switch). If the clutch pull of a YZ250F is a problem for you, then it's probably time to find a diff hobby.

Six speed tranny could be an advantage, depending where your ride, but you would want to analyze the gear ratios to see the speed spreads.

The E-button is nice at times, but the added weight will always a handicap. If you spend a lot of time wadded up alongside the trail, yeah, get a button. But- if you spend a lot of time wadded up alongside the trail, then a bike with much less low end power is probably a very poor choice.

EFI makes for a easier starting bike....

lets face it, the e-button is nice ALL the time...not just sometimes lol

Yes the e button is sweet. I've had a ktm 250xc and a 450xcw.

So tonight I went and bought a new bike. I picked the yz. It was an easy decision, bike was $4999.00, came with a full Pro Circuit T4 exhaust and got a $500.00 contingency card to use and anything. Works for me.

schweet!

the ebutton is nice, but in a dead engine start, i'll take my tired, old, '06 and my twitchey right leg against ANY ebutton 250f.