KX 65 Rebuild - Crank and top end

KX 65 Rebuild - Crank top end
Hi,
My son's '00 kx65 started making a rattling noise when he was riding it. We shut it down thinking top end. Disassembled, Piston and jug are intact, no scratches on cylinder walls. Pulled on the rod, there is up and down movement, a lot.

So, correct me if I am wrong, the rod bearing on the crank is toast.

I would like to do the rebuild to learn how to do it and have my son learn at the same time. We plan on selling the bike, however, because he rides a bigger bike now, it is too small for him. Bike is in great shape other than this that just happened.

Would I be better off parting it out and saving the rebuild experience for one of our other 2 stroke bikes? (none need a rebuild at present)

I found this kit which was very affordable: (Wiseco Crank kit and top end kit from MotoSport for $260 - Included all bearings gaskets, parts and seals) However, reading other forums, a user said Wiseco top ends are fine but Wiseco bottom ends suck, and that you could not Give him one.
http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/Wiseco-Top-And-Bottom-End-Kit-2Stroke

Do they suck?

For $40 more, same Parts house offers the Hot Rods Brand of same kit. 

2000 KX65 7-8-13 (1).jpg

I would do some research and find out what a good running bike is going for and how much it will cost you to fix it.

Do the option that gets you the most money.

I don't have any experience with wiseco cranks but I believe the general opinion is to stay away from them.

If you want a quick cheap get-it-running deal to sell, then Wiseco may be a good choice. But if you want the new owner to hunt you down because it blew up in 10 min. Run Wiseco. :rolleyes:

But if you really want to make it a bike worth selling or using as a pit bike, Then, get an OEM crank & bearings, vertex piston and pop it on CL.

As for parting it out, Yes will probably come out about $100 ahead than what you would get out of selling it rebuilt, BUT, you will never get rid of it all and have crap laying around. Rebuild it right and make it a good bike for the next little fella to be a happy rider.

If you want a quick cheap get-it-running deal to sell, then Wiseco may be a good choice. But if you want the new owner to hunt you down because it blew up in 10 min. Run Wiseco. :rolleyes:

But if you really want to make it a bike worth selling or using as a pit bike, Then, get an OEM crank & bearings, vertex piston and pop it on CL.

As for parting it out, Yes will probably come out about $100 ahead than what you would get out of selling it rebuilt, BUT, you will never get rid of it all and have crap laying around. Rebuild it right and make it a good bike for the next little fella to be a happy rider.

So where do hot rod cranks fit in? Seems like everything i am reading (for my rebuild) says to stay away from Weisco and go w/ either OEM or hot rod.