06 250 help needed

My friends got an 06, he's not ver mechanically inclined at all, and I haven't got a chance to rebuild/own a four stroke yet, id love to cause that's my favorite way of learning I just don't have the money, anyways, his crf just randomly started having a rough idle, and will go from rough idle, to high idle, and back to rough when idling, he describes it as "running crappy" (yeap, that bad) it seems like it runs lean, and backfires on decel, every shop he's talked to says it sounds like a carb problem, so his proposed solutuon is buy a new carb (he's THAT friend...) and I'm just trying to get any insight on what other problems that he may be having, just trying to be a good friend and keeping him from buying a new carb because his bike "runs crappy" any suggestions?

Nobody?

Take the carb apart and make sure there are no clogged jets, and clean it very good, most likely your problem.  What size jets are you running?

Check valve clearances, check for air leaks where header pipe bolts on. Was the bike running fine before? Has anything been changed on the bike before the problem started? Is the bike all stock?

Take the carb apart and make sure there are no clogged jets, and clean it very good, most likely your problem. What size jets are you running?

Check valve clearances, check for air leaks where header pipe bolts on. Was the bike running fine before? Has anything been changed on the bike before the problem started? Is the bike all stock?

All stock, they said it just randomly did it as they were riding, and my friends claims to have cleaned the carb, but I've seen him call spraying carb cleaner in the airboot of a running bike a carb cleaning, so ill clean that for him, he got the valve clearences checked like 4 hours ago (yeah, he can't even check em) and stock jet sizes

Clean the carb real good and put a new spark plug in it and see what it does.  Friend had a 05 crf250 that started acting up, put in new spark plug and ran fine after that.

Edited by Kawikx450

Spraying the wrong type of cleaner down into the carb can ruin the seal on the slide plate. Which will give you the type of conditions that you are describing.

Spraying the wrong type of cleaner down into the carb can ruin the seal on the slide plate. Which will give you the type of conditions that you are describing.

No that's not it, were gonna take his carb & clean it, when he sprayed the cleaner in the carb that was on a trail quad he has

Looks like you got it, he won't confess to it but when I asked him he started asking how much it would cost to fic and how one would do it, sooo, how much is a new seal (if its replaceable) and how would I go about getting a new one in