Sign in to follow this  

Motorcycle Stability Control - Godsend or Purist's Nightmare?

There's little doubt it would save lives.

But the added complexity of even fuel injection concerns me greatly.

We are talking about the end of being able to work on your own bike (read: end of CHEAP motorcycling) as this continues.

It's all the damn sensors and relays and servos that fail that make this stuff a nightmare for TRAINED TECH'S,  we'll be down to changing the oil and plug/s, like with cars. 

Can you picture a 20 year old bike with oxygeon sensors, fuel injection, computer brains, etc etc

Edited by MindBlower
  • Like 1

There's little doubt it would save lives.

But the added complexity of even fuel injection concerns me greatly.

We are talking about the end of being able to work on your own bike (read: end of CHEAP motorcycling) as this continues.

It's all the damn sensors and relays and servos that fail that make this stuff a nightmare for TRAINED TECH'S,  we'll be down to changing the oil and plug/s, like with cars. 

Can you picture a 20 year old bike with oxygeon sensors, fuel injection, computer brains, etc etc

Agree, you can always get home with carb, points, etc.

Fought fuel injection, computers, but have to admit I never had a failure.

But I'd just as soon do my own riding, operator error and all!

Mike

That's how I feel about it:

I want control of the bike, and it's what makes it fun to ride.

Save this stuff for some geekoid model meant for some training course.

I'll gladly take the ABS, but forget the rest.

The ABS has saved my car twice and my life once, therefore it has easily justified the added expense to the car.

I still do the brake work on my car, ie rotors, pads and regular brake fluid changes.

Before I get lectured, yes I do know how to threshold brake, but ABS allows even greater effectiveness in that regard and allows the driver to concentrate more on steering around a hazard while still maintaining full control of the car.

There are even more benefits with regard to ABS on a motorcycle, given a motorcycle's inherit instability when compared to a car.

If it's optional, doesn't add a crapload of weight, and it can be turned off, sure. I don't even mind wiring in a simple on/off switch myself.

If it's mandatory with a bike, 'not crazy about it.

If it adds a crapload of weight, no.

If it can't be bypassed without disabling the bike, hell no.

I've used ABS systems that sucked. I've used ABS systems that worked surprisingly well on ice to keep control while braking.

I've used EFI that was a sucky PITA. I've used EFI that gave good performance and MPG while being fairly simple to work on.

I have been a Cop for over 25 years now.  What I have noticed over that time is, as safety systems are put into cars the drivers get lazy, relying on the safety systems to keep them out of trouble.  As such driving has gotten worse over the years.  I have also noticed accident rates have gone up but fatalities have gone down.  I believe that is a result of the safety systems saving morons from themselves.  Just what we do not need in the motorcycle world is safety systems so we too can now not pay attention to what is going around us.

• Like 1