2013 drz400sm neutral problem

Hello everyone first wanted to say I've been a fan of this site quite a while and found all the info helpful and finally joined the community..

So after not riding for 6 years I decided to buy a new sm and i couldn't be happier with it except for one issue, when the bike is idling in first gear with clutch pulled in i cannot get it into neutral unless I shift REALLY hard into 2nd and tap down to neutral...

Now what's odd is that when the bike is off I can shift into neutral like butter, but if the bike is off with the clutch pulled in its difficult to get into neutral....?

Oil levels are good, I changed oil at 100 miles and I'm currently at 200 miles, I've noticed this issue first time I had it out

Just went out to the garage to mess with it, motor is cold and I can shift in and out of neutral no problem, it seems like when the bike is warmed up the clutch held in it does this.. Also I'd like to note that when coming to a stop with clutch pulled in and i downshift into 1st there is this winding down sound and it seems to originate from the rear tire sprocket area

I am not having the issue on my 2013, I get butter smooth shifts but I am running Amsoil. During break in on Rotella the shifting was not as smooth.

I would check the chain tension, guides and sprocket.

Since it is still under warranty may let the dealer get it document in case you have problems down the road.

Yea I'm not having an problem shifting whatsoever it's only the issue I stated earlier, I will adjust the clutch tomorrow but when the motor is hot it does not want to go into neutral at a stop from 1st and this has me worried.

Hopefully the dealer has an answer

i have noticed that it doesnt take much at all to get to neutral... now im not being a smartass and stating the obvious but seriously when its warm and you come to a stop all the way down in first gear ever so slightly pull up on the shifter... like literally barely touch the shifter and it should click right into neutral unless there really is a problem with it...

I had this problem your clutch cable needs adjusting or the perch does or the push rod shaft is not in the correct postion therfor not pushing the pressure plate off as far making it hard to change gear. Or worst case would be your selector drum would ve damged but im %99.9 its not that

I just find this really odd that it would come from the dealer this way, when I get home from work today I'll play with the adjustments and see what happens. I hope I don't have a clutch issue here, i went with the Drz for the reliability but anything can happen... Good thing for warranties I suppose

I just find this really odd that it would come from the dealer this way, when I get home from work today I'll play with the adjustments and see what happens. I hope I don't have a clutch issue here, i went with the Drz for the reliability but anything can happen... Good thing for warranties I suppose

return it to the dealer dont worry about things when it someone elses fault

Rolling the bike back and fourth has no effect, it's a clutch issue rather then trans it seems.

Supermotomad1 - I agree with you there, but I contacted my dealer and if adjusting the clutch does not solve this I'm having them have a go at it.. I'm being optimistic about this