Sign in to follow this  

30 PSI or 13 PSI -- What should your tires be?

I read a lot that people really never have their tires above 15 psi (like 10 psi on front and 12 on rear, etc.), but then the tires say on the sidewall that max psi is 32 (on the rear).  I know it largely depends on what you are doing and where you are riding, but would having a low psi like 12 be damaging to the tires?  Or would that low psi cause rocks to bottom out into the tire and you get a pinch flat?  

i got stuck every 2o feet with tires past 30 psi  when in desert sand  so when i bought new tires the shop automatically put them at 12 

soo much better  but on road they are lacking in the cornering  dept  so I just ride more cautious  if  I had to ride far to get to a trail I would carry a pump and adjust

I also bought rim locks

• Like 1

For 50/50 riding I stick too 14psi front and 17psi rear on the stock tyres.

For long distance road riding I set them both around 20psi

Edited by Positron007

I am running 18/19.  I had my front/rear tire at 15/15 for some dirt riding, but when I got back on pavement it was too "loose", and I was afraid I was going to roll the tire off the rim in corners.   :ride:     

I had no idea you could drop the psi that low without issue. I did my first single track at around 22 psi, oops haha.

No problem. I have scraped pegs at those pressures the only reason I go higher in pressure for full road is to maximise fuel efficiency.

• Like 3

I run around 20 psi now.  I probably do close to 50/50.  I didnt check the tires for a long time and the bike was starting to feel "different", I checked the tires and they had about 17 psi in them.  When I got the bike I was maintaining them at 22 psi like the bike recommends.

Just because the sidewall on the tire says 32 psi max, really means nothing.  You never go by the sidewall.  Always look what the vehicle specs for tire pressure.  This goes for bikes, 4wheelers, cars, trucks, anything.  The vehicle recommends tire pressure based on weight of the vehicle.  The sidewall of the tire just says the absolute max PSI you should ever run the tire at.

• Like 1

The vehicle recommends tire pressure based on weight of the vehicle.  The sidewall of the tire just says the absolute max PSI you should ever run the tire at.

I do the same as you !!! Run them around  20 - 22 

Edited by gnath9
  • Like 2

I'm apparently the odd one. I run mine at 30 and leave them there. However I don't run deep sand or gnarly trails. I ride paved roads 50/50 with fire roads of gravel dirt and granite.

My reason for doing so is that a harder tire (more pressure) resists punctures through the tread. And a nail in the tread 100 miles from home sucks---I know; been there. Not an insurmountable problem if you are prepared (I wasn't then, I am now), but still a pain in the ass. So I've got 2500 miles on her with hard tires and no more flats, and no problems with the way she rolls.  

• Like 2