Rough Rough!

I have an 86 XR600R that I'm  restoring I guess. I've had the dual carborators rebuilt, which started on the second kick. I finished installing my Baja Designs lighting kit and then took the bike out for it's first ride. It didn't run as good as when I installed the carboraters, would only want to run with the choke in the half way position. I checked to see if there might be a vacumn leak but the boots look good. I did have the bike serviced a few months back and was told the valves were adjusted. Any suggestions?

Drain the tank and float bowls, and get fresh gas. Todays fuel sux!

Has it sat without running for awhile?  Sounds like a clogged jet.  If the main is clogged  it will start and idle fine, but die when you open the choke fully. 

It has fresh gas and I just had the carbs rebuilt. I rode it a couple of weeks back and it ran good, it's just recently that it took a dump. I did check the stator to make sure it's good and it is. I'll pull the spark plug and replace it. 

Checked the gap on the spark plug, it was set at 25,000ths, bought a new plug and set the gap at 30,000 ths, started much easier but still ran a little rough. I think I'll take into the dealer that did the carborater rebuild and have them finish it for me. It is a lot of fun to ride. 

It has to be something in the carbs not done right. Now if I understand this correct, it ran good a couple weeks back, then between then and now the carbs were rebuilt and now it doesn't run? If that is right, then it is an issue with the service on the carbs not rebuilt correctly and not fuel or stator related. They shouldn't charge anything for the fix then either.

Edited by jjktmrider

It's very possible. I first had the carbs rebuilt, installed them and it started right up, ran pretty good but not like my other 600. I didn't get back to it for a couple of weeks and that's when the problems started. I do think it's the carbs and I'm planning on taking the whole bike back and let the dealer who did the work on it fix it. Runs like it has a vacumn leak, when the choke is in the half way position, idle shoots up, when the choke is off, the idle is weak and dies easy. Under acceleration it pulls like a John Deer tractor, love it!

Do you hear any hissing sound? Like a hose is open . Spray some WD-40 around the intake boots between the carbs and motor, if the idle cleans up or changes that is where the problem is. If no change then it's internal.

It's very possible. I first had the carbs rebuilt, installed them and it started right up, ran pretty good but not like my other 600. I didn't get back to it for a couple of weeks and that's when the problems started. I do think it's the carbs and I'm planning on taking the whole bike back and let the dealer who did the work on it fix it. Runs like it has a vacumn leak, when the choke is in the half way position, idle shoots up, when the choke is off, the idle is weak and dies easy. Under acceleration it pulls like a John Deer tractor, love it!

I had this problem on a boat.  Rebuilt the carbs, ran great for a few hours.  Then, mysteriously, stopped running well.

Turned out that the fuel lines (while appearing new and flexible on the outside) were disintegrating from the inside out from ethanol.  Replaced old fuel lines with new ethanol resistant hose and problem solved.

I had this problem on a boat.  Rebuilt the carbs, ran great for a few hours.  Then, mysteriously, stopped running well.

Turned out that the fuel lines (while appearing new and flexible on the outside) were disintegrating from the inside out from ethanol.  Replaced old fuel lines with new ethanol resistant hose and problem solved.

Good Point! Tried spraying WD40, no differance

It has to be something in the carbs not done right. Now if I understand this correct, it ran good a couple weeks back, then between then and now the carbs were rebuilt and now it doesn't run? If that is right, then it is an issue with the service on the carbs not rebuilt correctly and not fuel or stator related. They shouldn't charge anything for the fix then either.

Turns out when they rebuilt the crabs, they didn't change out the jets. Replaced the jets and now it runs very well.