Sign in to follow this  

Florida Buying A Dirt Bike With No Title In FL

Does it matter if you buy a dirt bike in the state of Florida without a title. The seller said he would  provide a bill of sale for it. If it does matter how so and how hard is it to get one?

Thanks

No worries unless you're suspicious of the seller.

I've only sold them with a bill of sale.  The certificate of origin always accompanies it though.  Titling a dirt bike in Fl is not popular, it's just another tax.  

I believe Florida requires a title on dirt bikes from '03 and up.  If the bike has a clear title, you can be sure it's not stolen or has (unpaid) lien on it.

Likewise, if it gets impounded for some reason, you'll have a better chance of getting it back because you can show legitimate proof of ownership.

But, no doubt, a lot of dirt bikes in Florida never get titled and the owners make out just fine.

RB

I had heard that to ride areas like Croom, they require a title to put a decal on it, never been out there though.  One of the bikes I sold, the new owner called and asked about a title so he could ride Croom.  He had to go through the tag office and apply for one and pay a substantial fee.  

• Like 1

Title is not needed to get a Croom sticker. I just had two bikes stickered a couple weeks ago, didn't have the title for either. If you don't have the title they only need the VIN off the bike. So long as the bike hasn't been reported stolen you won't have a problem.

Edited by GoFastDONTCRASH

The problem is, when you go to sell/trade in that bike you will end up getting hit with the sales tax when you register it. This happened to me when I traded in my YZ450 to the dealer when I picked up my new bike. Ended up costing me well over $200.

The reason there is no title is because the seller was too cheap to register it.

I'm too cheap to register mine too.  No reason the state needs to collect tax every time it changes hands in a sale.  It's not street legal and this is just another way to collect tax on a tangible item.  When the state opens up state forests state wide for riding, then I will consider paying my fair share..

• Like 1

Digging up an old thread. Bought my KX 250 without a title, printed the application for certificate of title with/without registration, supposedly a $77 fee attached to it at the local DMV. 

The Link below states all OHVs must be titled to get a permit:

http://www.freshfromflorida.com/Divisions-Offices/Florida-Forest-Service/Recreation/Off-Highway-Vehicle-Recreation-on-State-Forests-in-Florida

Are the employees that lazy and don't care?

Title is not needed to get a Croom sticker. I just had two bikes stickered a couple weeks ago, didn't have the title for either. If you don't have the title they only need the VIN off the bike. So long as the bike hasn't been reported stolen you won't have a problem.

Interesting. I had to bring my bikes with the green sticker or bring a title to get my kx and yzf stickered. Guess it depends on the ranger on duty. i had to loan my kx title to a friend so he could get a pass for a used bike with no title. They could careless about the name on it but they requested it have the title or green ohv sticker.

Whats a green OHV sticker? 

I put the stock fender on ,my KX back on, noticed it has a ORANGE Florida Trail Riders sticker on it. Is that a group or something?

Ohv sticker is from the state showing the bike has a title. The orange is ftr which is a club in fl

Worst case scenario just pay $15 and get the day pass no question asked.

I think Croon should enforce more and check titles.

One of my bikes got stolen from my garage, the weekend before the break in the sticker came off the bike left it in my car and now I'm using it in the new bike even dough I let them know my bike was stolen and give them the vin #.

Technically I'm riding a stolen bike and they don't even check, If they check the pass # they probably will freak out cuz same bike model and year :p  good thing I have both titles...