Will I be happy with a 250F ?

I currently have a klx400 which is a DRZ 400 incase you're unfamiliar and a 2012 klr 650. I just got started racing and my first gncc was awesome but hard, mainly from picking up my KLX up over and over. I've been riding for 20+ years but I'm new to racing. So I know the most obvious answer to my question is to ride one but I just wondered if you guys thought a 250 F would be enough juice for me to woods race in the GNCC and AWRCS? I'm 5' 8" and bounce around from 175 to 195 lbs ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1380239423.267687.jpg my current bike I use for racing

A 250f should be plenty of juice, a 450f and you can get in trouble real quick, almost too quick, especially if its tight woods. Wouldn't want to whiskey throttle on the 450f and find the nearest tree, you'll be in a helicopter to the nearest hospital.

250fs are great bikes, so are 250 2 strokes!

What about a Ktm 250 exc

I rode a DRZ400E so I can understand the weight issue. However, I had it in supermoto trim and didn't really ever see a trail. I have ridden a 450F, 250F, 125t. If you're more of a 4t guy, then I would stick with a 4t. 2ts are awesome, and you may want to research into one. KTM 200 would be pretty sweet bike. Back to 4t, if you're racing a tight course without a bunch of long straights, a 250f will feel like a feather compared to the 400.  And the handling of a 250f should keep you right up there with guys on the bigger bikes. If you do come up to long straights, you wont stand a chance against 450's, or 250cc+ 2ts. A 250f will top out very quick. (Depending on gear ratio will come into affect here) In the woods with a 250f, you shouldn't have a problem going really fast. BEWARE; Going from the KLX/DRZ to a 250f, maintence will have you pulling out your hair. You can negelct a klx and it will keep on running, a 250f, not so much.

As for juice, most 250f pump out around 35-40hp. Compare that to the klx/drz which is around 38-41hp(Depending on the mods ect. My E model pumped 40 I believe) Now, weight of a KLX/DRZ, 275-290lbs...a modern 250f will be around 230lbs and under. It's a night and day difference in weight and handling. I'm also speaking of MX bikes, enduro 250fs will be heavier. So keep that in mind.  

I rode a DRZ400E so I can understand the weight issue. However, I had it in supermoto trim and didn't really ever see a trail. I have ridden a 450F, 250F, 125t. If you're more of a 4t guy, then I would stick with a 4t. 2ts are awesome, and you may want to research into one. KTM 200 would be pretty sweet bike. Back to 4t, if you're racing a tight course without a bunch of long straights, a 250f will feel like a feather compared to the 400. And the handling of a 250f should keep you right up there with guys on the bigger bikes. If you do come up to long straights, you wont stand a chance against 450's, or 250cc+ 2ts. A 250f will top out very quick. (Depending on gear ratio will come into affect here) In the woods with a 250f, you shouldn't have a problem going really fast. BEWARE; Going from the KLX/DRZ to a 250f, maintence will have you pulling out your hair. You can negelct a klx and it will keep on running, a 250f, not so much.

As for juice, most 250f pump out around 35-40hp. Compare that to the klx/drz which is around 38-41hp(Depending on the mods ect. My E model pumped 40 I believe) Now, weight of a KLX/DRZ, 275-290lbs...a modern 250f will be around 230lbs and under. It's a night and day difference in weight and handling. I'm also speaking of MX bikes, enduro 250fs will be heavier. So keep that in mind.

thanks for your opinions and points I think I am gonna go with a mx 250f (yzf,RMZ,etc, etc) I did think about how maintaining it will be more of pain, how much more? I guess I'll find out. I don't really mind more maintenance, I started over doing it with the klx so hopefully it won't be too much of a shock. I'm just looking forward to something more nimble and lighter.

As for a 250+ 2t I'm gonna also consider those when I start seriously pursuing a purchase

thanks for your opinions and points I think I am gonna go with a mx 250f (yzf,RMZ,etc, etc) I did think about how maintaining it will be more of pain, how much more? I guess I'll find out. I don't really mind more maintenance, I started over doing it with the klx so hopefully it won't be too much of a shock. I'm just looking forward to something more nimble and lighter.

For maintenance, make sure to have a good supply of air filter oil. You will be cleaning the air filter after almost every ride.(depending on your area) You will also need the oil by the gallon and oil filters to match. I do 2 oil changes per 1 filter. 250f's have a limited oil capacity. Also, chain lube will be your friend. MX bikes come with standard chains. I would recommend swapping to an o-ring whenever time permits. Make sure to clean, clean,and clean some more. You gotta keep 250f looking spotless, any spec of dirt that gets into that engine, say goodbye to your valves.

As for bikes, any Jap mxer should work. I would search which years are the best and find that particular year. I've had enough jap bikes, and for me, I wouldn't buy another. (Not that I think they are bad) In my experience, I prefer European made bikes. I feel they are a more simple design and a little better thought out.

Depending on where you live, you may have a Husqvarna dealer near by and you could snag a TC250 brand new for cheap. Or a used one on CL. My TC has been amazing, and I wouldn't trade it for any other 250f. Plus, I feel kinda unique because not many people have them.

If you do go the 250f route, and you're buying used, make sure to get the lowest hour, most stock looking, none stickered bike. Most young kids ride them and tear em to shreds.

As for a 250+ 2t I'm gonna also consider those when I start seriously pursuing a purchase

My riding buddies are on 300cc two strokes, and those things can just lug! GasGas, Beta, KTM, Husqvarna, and Husaberg all make a 300xc bike. As well as a 250xc. If you've never owned a smoker, you may really want to try and ride one. I bet you will love it. (I own both 2 and 4)

My riding buddies are on 300cc two strokes, and those things can just lug! GasGas, Beta, KTM, Husqvarna, and Husaberg all make a 300xc bike. As well as a 250xc. If you've never owned a smoker, you may really want to try and ride one. I bet you will love it. (I own both 2 and 4)

huskys and ktms are available with them I worry about price and availability of parts. Is it just as easy and cheap as jap bike replacement parts? And I have rode a few 2-Strokes 250s of my friends and i do like them.

Haha you're pushing towards a 2stroke now. I just hope I can set it up right because I'm sorta used to that forgiving bottom end of a 4

huskys and ktms are available with them I worry about price and availability of parts. Is it just as easy and cheap as jap bike replacement parts? And I have rode a few 2-Strokes 250s of my friends and i do like them.

Haha you're pushing towards a 2stroke now. I just hope I can set it up right because I'm sorta used to that forgiving bottom end of a 4

For KTM, you can get OEM parts from most online stores. Rockymountain carries them. So parts shouldn't be an issue. Ktm is just as big, if not bigger than jap bikes. At your HS races, you should be noticing a sea of orange.

Huskys are a bit tricker in parts. I had to do a lot of searching to find an OEM dealer online. Well come to find out, there's plenty. Halls cycle, Bills motorcycles, motoxocita, and I'm sure I'm missing a few. I haven't had any issues getting parts. Head over to cafehusky, plenty of info.

as for the 250t, was it a MX or xc? Remember, a lot of the smokers can be setup for low end. Plus they are way lighter, and easier to maintain.

There sure is a lot of ktms at the races . And I rode mx smokers never rode a xc 2stroke now that I think about it

There sure is a lot of ktms at the races . And I rode mx smokers never rode a xc 2stroke now that I think about it

A XC two stroke will be a better lugger with a broader powerband. Instead of the instant hit of a MX bike. However, it will take some time adapting to a 2 stroke. Weight wise, you will be saving 40lbs give or take a few.

Go Green and get a KX250 03-04. Great powerful but controllable motors for hare scrambles and enduro. The 04 particularly shines with off road oriented power. These bikes require very little jetting and no motor mods (unlike a 02-07 CR250). Money you save there should go right into suspension tuning. 

Go Green and get a KX250 03-04. Great powerful but controllable motors for hare scrambles and enduro. The 04 particularly shines with off road oriented power. These bikes require very little jetting and no motor mods (unlike a 02-07 CR250). Money you save there should go right into suspension tuning. 

And maybe throwing a fly wheel weight and an 18" wheel? Will the KLX 450/400 wheels fit on an older KX?

And maybe throwing a fly wheel weight and an 18" wheel? Will the KLX 450/400 wheels fit on an older KX?

If you are a newer rider to technical single track then yes a FWW otherwise those motors track well just with clutch use. You'd hafta check with a wheel manufacturer on the 18" option or just PM Jeekinz. :thumbsup:

Try the 250 TwoStroke man,

You'll have a blast.

I went from a 2003 KX125 to a 2007 Honda Crf250R (I bought new in 08) to my current bike 2005 RM 250

I absolutely love it! Im 5'10" and 165lbs and it screams. Its stock other then a FMF Fatty and reeds and I can lug it wayyy down low, the Bottom End on this thing is awsome (almost like my 250F), Then when you want screamm the piss out of it on the long straights and big climbs

Also there is a ton of goodies you can toss on to impove on the low end power if you want (flyweel weight, gearing, FMF Gnarly Pipe).

The weight savings/feeling of the 250T will help a lot on longer rides/races and GNCCs