Sign in to follow this  

Tires for cold weather riding

I use my DRZ to commute to work everyday including through the winter.  I live in the NYC area and have to deal with some pretty cold weather.  Currently I have the tires that the prior owner installed which are the original dunlop on the front and a Pirelli Sport Demon on the back.  The Pirelli is fine in the summer but terrifying in the cold.  I went riding on a 50 degree morning and nearly wiped out 3 or 4 times in the first few miles.  

I'm looking for something that heats up really quickly, can handle some rain, and has passable tread life.  I never go on dirt (beyond a well packed dirt road once in a blue moon), and I'm not a 10/10ths rider.  That said I do like to go have fun in the twisties on the weekends.  

I've read all the other tire posts but haven't found any conclusions.  Recommendations?  Especially from the commuters.

The tires I have been considering are:

The Pilot Powers 2ct

Conti Attacks

and the Q2s

Through the winter in NY, wow... I ride daily in Georgia unless there is ice, but you get a LOT more cold weather than we do down here...

You might want to look into the Michelin Pilot Road 3 tires, or maybe another high-end sport touring tire.  I would expect the tire compounds to be a little friendlier for the colder temps than with the full on sport bike tires.  I typically run a Pilot Power 2ct front and a sport touring rear like a Mich Pilot road 2, Road 3 or a Bridgestone BT-023.  I doubt that anything will warm up fast when it's 10 or 20 degrees outside... I always allow a much longer warm-up time before expecting much out of the tires when it is that cold.  My ride to work is about 1 hour, so I can always get the tires working even on the cold days, but I take it easy until I know they are OK.

How far is your commute?  If it is less than 20 minutes, you may not have decent tire grip until after the first 10 minutes of riding depending on the type of road and speed...  

Control covers and grip heaters for the cold days...  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I use my DRZ to commute to work everyday including through the winter.  I live in the NYC area and have to deal with some pretty cold weather.  Currently I have the tires that the prior owner installed which are the original dunlop on the front and a Pirelli Sport Demon on the back.  The Pirelli is fine in the summer but terrifying in the cold.  I went riding on a 50 degree morning and nearly wiped out 3 or 4 times in the first few miles.  

I'm looking for something that heats up really quickly, can handle some rain, and has passable tread life.  I never go on dirt (beyond a well packed dirt road once in a blue moon), and I'm not a 10/10ths rider.  That said I do like to go have fun in the twisties on the weekends.  

I've read all the other tire posts but haven't found any conclusions.  Recommendations?  Especially from the commuters.

The tires I have been considering are:

The Pilot Powers 2ct

Conti Attacks

and the Q2s

try knobies on a cold day on long island = fun times