Sign in to follow this  

Do we REALLY need kick starter any more?

Kickstarters  

132 members have voted

1. 1. Do we really still need a kickstarter these days?

• It's all I need. eButtons are for girlyman riders! ;)
    • My ebutton has never let me down. Ditch that kicker!
    • I love my ebutton, but a back-up kickstarter is a must.
    • I like cookies & boobies.

Today why do we still have to kick? KTM has shown us that by removing all the parts and design cases without it there is no weight penalty! And with the new batterys Antigravity has a new 4 cell 220 CCA 13oz that can start a 1300cc VTwin you can put it in your pocket! So bike can be even lighter. Ok im going to hear I want kickstarter for a backup. I heard that one 40 years ago when elec start showed up on street bikes! You would not even dream of putting a kick on street bike now. A buddy with CRF450X said he has never touched the kick. Now with EFI the standard work better with a battery to run pump. So why are they still there?

• Like 1

I've never been wronged by a kick start. Well, except for the time where the bike backfired and I went flying through the air.... (That's happened on two different occasions) Anyway, I don't see a dire need for the easy button.

Edited by DirtRider500R
  • Like 1

no weight penalty? can you elaborate that?

whats the weight of battery, generator (coil), startermotor, and heavy wiring.

and on the other side; aluminium kickstarter.

don't forget the starter.

Anyways, I'll always want kick for back up in the woods. Ad it saves weight on the track.

Simplicity. I have 6 bikes in my garage right now and the only one I can count on to start is my kickstart only YZ 450. The others are.constantly on the batter tenders to keep the batteries charged. I agree for a bike that is ridden daily it is a good idea but for a dirt bike that might sit for weeks at a time I am not 100% sold. The ktm 450 is the worst if it is left off the tender for a few days it will not start. Batteries last 6 months if not constantly plugged in.

• Like 1

Had to tow a DR650 last weekend because the battery died and it was too muddy to push start it. Towed it behind a TTR250 for about 300 yards until we got to solid enough ground to get it started. Sure would have been nice to kick it instead.

Have also push started my Brother's Wee-Strom.

I would prefer a kick backup on everything. It could even be storable on a street bike- store it under the seat and pop it on if needed.

Seems now that many batteries die suddenly instead of slowly getting weak for a while. Not good when you don't have a kick backup.

• Like 1

Had to tow a DR650 last weekend because the battery died and it was too muddy to push start it. Towed it behind a TTR250 for about 300 yards until we got to solid enough ground to get it started. Sure would have been nice to kick it instead.

Edited by jqueen

Here are the numbers from 2013 MXA 450 shootout

Yam 238

Hon 236

Suz 242

Kaw 239

KTM 240

So use the 13oz Antigravity battery thats 5 or 6 lbs off KTM that makes KTM the lightest!

And I have a Antigravity battery thats been on shelf over a year it tested 13 volts!

Thats the facts! You guys need to wake up and smell the coffee

Kick starters are not bulletproof I have seen then break and take out cases. I lost one because it fell off.

As far as having to be towed out because battery died. I have been towed out from broken chains, CDIs, Stators. Battery is one of many parts that can fail. If im dual sport riding I have small set of jumper cables in my tool kit!

Simplicity. I have 6 bikes in my garage right now and the only one I can count on to start is my kickstart only YZ 450. The others are.constantly on the batter tenders to keep the batteries charged. I agree for a bike that is ridden daily it is a good idea but for a dirt bike that might sit for weeks at a time I am not 100% sold. The ktm 450 is the worst if it is left off the tender for a few days it will not start. Batteries last 6 months if not constantly plugged in.

This would really irritate me.

Here are the numbers from 2013 MXA 450 shootout

Yam 238

Hon 236

Suz 242

Kaw 239

KTM 240

So use the 13oz Antigravity battery thats 5 or 6 lbs off KTM that makes KTM the lightest!

And I have a Antigravity battery thats been on shelf over a year it tested 13 volts!

Thats the facts! You guys need to wake up and smell the coffee

Kick starters are not bulletproof I have seen then break and take out cases. I lost one because it fell off.

As far as having to be towed out because battery died. I have been towed out from broken chains, CDIs, Stators. Battery is one of many parts that can fail. If im dual sport riding I have small set of jumper cables in my tool kit!

Are those weights ready to ride

I prefer the Kick start as Backup

Like I said I heard that 40 years ago when they started removing kick starters from street bikes! And now you dont here that anymore! Thats allmost like saying they should have kept the hand crank on cars in case the battery went out!

Like I said I heard that 40 years ago when they started removing kick starters from street bikes! And now you dont here that anymore! Thats allmost like saying they should have kept the hand crank on cars in case the battery went out!

Ok , have you ever had an E start fail , miles from home ?

I have

• Like 1

Seen way too many ktms with starting problems to own one, I like my kickstart to be honest.

If what is said above rings true, drop all the e-start crap off a ktm and have the lightest bike in the class......

Yes on my truck! Not bike again its just one of many parts that can fail and leave you on side of road!

You are right, there are already many parts to fail, why add more???

My e start on my KTM has failed note than my kick starter. It even caused Dungy to dnf one moto this season because of e start failure, and that is with factory support.

I do wonder why other companies don't at least have an optional add on estart though.