Sign in to follow this  

Do we REALLY need kick starter any more?

Kickstarters  

132 members have voted

1. 1. Do we really still need a kickstarter these days?

• It's all I need. eButtons are for girlyman riders! ;)
    • My ebutton has never let me down. Ditch that kicker!
    • I love my ebutton, but a back-up kickstarter is a must.
    • I like cookies & boobies.

Simplicity. I have 6 bikes in my garage right now and the only one I can count on to start is my kickstart only YZ 450. The others are.constantly on the batter tenders to keep the batteries charged. I agree for a bike that is ridden daily it is a good idea but for a dirt bike that might sit for weeks at a time I am not 100% sold. The ktm 450 is the worst if it is left off the tender for a few days it will not start. Batteries last 6 months if not constantly plugged in.

Complete B.S.. I own a KTM 530 XC-W. I have put over 1,100 miles of remote trail riding on it this year. I have never used my kick starter. Not Once! Never plugged it in once. Starts every time. I have owned 3 road bikes(Yamaha, Kawi, Victory) and riddin over 50,000 miles on them over 10 years. Not once did I ever have a problem with my E-start. Had a friend tease me on the trail for being lazy. Said I'd be screwed if my E-start died. I bump started it on the trail without my E-start or kick start.

Complete B.S.. I own a KTM 530 XC-W. I have put over 1,100 miles of remote trail riding on it this year. I have never used my kick starter. Not Once! Never plugged it in once. Starts every time. I have owned 3 road bikes(Yamaha, Kawi, Victory) and riddin over 50,000 miles on them over 10 years. Not once did I ever have a problem with my E-start. Had a friend tease me on the trail for being lazy. Said I'd be screwed if my E-start died. I bump started it on the trail without my E-start or kick start.

What is BS?  I actually like electric start.  All I was getting at was that bikes that are not ridden consistently require a lot of battery maintenance to keep them reliable.  Good for you for maintaining your bikes and not having issues. 

Complete B.S.. I own a KTM 530 XC-W. I have put over 1,100 miles of remote trail riding on it this year. I have never used my kick starter. Not Once! Never plugged it in once. Starts every time. I have owned 3 road bikes(Yamaha, Kawi, Victory) and riddin over 50,000 miles on them over 10 years. Not once did I ever have a problem with my E-start. Had a friend tease me on the trail for being lazy. Said I'd be screwed if my E-start died. I bump started it on the trail without my E-start or kick start

You shoulda never said that...now you've put fate to the test ...You've just jinxed yourself....I love E-start...go do yourself a favor and knock on some wood, fast

• Like 1

You shoulda never said that...now you've put fate to the test ...You've just jinxed yourself....I love E-start...go do yourself a favor and knock on some wood, fast

Don't have to knock on wood. Superstition is a trait of the uneducated.

What is BS?  I actually like electric start.  All I was getting at was that bikes that are not ridden consistently require a lot of battery maintenance to keep them reliable.  Good for you for maintaining your bikes and not having issues. 

O.K. the B.S. remark was harsh. I have had a great E-start experiance for the last 15 years with motorcycles.

• Like 1

I am new to dirt bikes and own a 13 350 exc. I am vertically challenged and can get the balls of me feet on the ground, so I love the e-start. Done about 17 hours so far without using the kickstart but all this talk had me curious. So, I decided to go out to the shed and kick her over. It was pretty easy actually, so I am glad that it is there for me when I need it!

All the maintenance in the world won't stop a freak occurence twice in A race i crashed and ripped the wires out of the connector. Without the kick backup i would have had to fix it there and lost a bunch of places

• Like 1

Wow, a lot of Maintenance,   PLUG IT INTO A TENDER,  I'M EXHAUSTED BY THE THOUGHT!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

Well im saving lot on mine as two 4cell Antigravity batterys weigh 1.6 lbs vs a ytx9 stock one and all that box etc is gone. Plus im 54 now so I play race when I do and just for fun now. But still have to ride Master A as my past championships. But can still run mid pack. As far as its HEAVY yes but sometimes thats a good thing. Guess nobody told Scott Summers that you cant go fast on heavy bike. Im doing some more work on my toy

Are you saving weight like everybody is talking about wanting to save? you are on a huge bike, I would never want to race serious with that in a harescramble. (long distance maybe) and of course you won't have problems with that, you have such a bigger system than the other bikes, you need it, but again, are you saving more any pounds that way.

CAM00116.jpg

CAM00117.jpg

I have a crf450x and I'm kicking it all the time, and it's way easier to get started by kicking them my 250 two stroke. The properly adjusted decompression works wonders. What's all this noise about finding tdc, fiddling with things and what not? I just kick it once and off it go. Even after a crash, pull in bypass, kick, ride.

• Like 1

so what happens when your battery dies? starter motor gets bashed? and your tired or stuck in the mud or god knows what? youll really be wishing you had that kick starter. now if its closed course motocross, I could see it being a benefit. but still, even then, its just much more conventional to have a kick start. in every way, id much rather prefer a bike with a kicker than a bike with e-start, with the exception of a bike that has both. and still then, it would depend on what extra weight was added. and if I really had a need for it.

tbh I don't know what this topic is about. the start of it was about street bikes, but why would we be talking about street bikes? they don't really need a kickstarter, and if you kill it, you can always get a push, so there is no worries.

now if this is about riding off road, then there is big confusion there. but is this about one or the other? which would you prefer, if you had to choose one or the other for riding off road. lets say the woods, which would you choose? I already said my answer.

weight issue:  Most pro that ride KTM aren't weight concerned as you are, you must really be good, and are utilizing all the performance capabilities of your bike? How many hrs do you train every day? are you on a perscribed diet, how many hours of training you have from a pro rider each week??   Wow 1-4 lbs is really going to slow you down, now isn't it!!!!!!

No kick starter, push start bike, call AAA!

Kick starter, Kick bike,push bike

Electric start push  button, push bike

Really are we all trying to justify this,     LOL!

All the maintenance in the world won't stop a freak occurence twice in A race i crashed and ripped the wires out of the connector. Without the kick backup i would have had to fix it there and lost a bunch of places

The EFI system on modern 4 strokes is far more sensitive, so if you were riding a 4 stroke, you would be unable to start the bike after a crash like that no matter what.

Again, I don't think anyone is trying to argue the point that kick starters belong on 2 strokes, I have no idea why KTM puts an electric start on 2 strokes at all, seems pretty redundant to me. On 4 strokes however, bikes that generally don't want to start without some serious intervention, its a different story.

The EFI system on modern 4 strokes is far more sensitive, so if you were riding a 4 stroke, you would be unable to start the bike after a crash like that no matter what.

Again, I don't think anyone is trying to argue the point that kick starters belong on 2 strokes, I have no idea why KTM puts an electric start on 2 strokes at all, seems pretty redundant to me. On 4 strokes however, bikes that generally don't want to start without some serious intervention, its a different story.

My e-start bike is a 2 stroke.

Trust me ride kick only and an estart bike offroad you will change your tune. 

Wow, a lot of Maintenance, PLUG IT INTO A TENDER, I'M EXHAUSTED BY THE THOUGHT!!!!!!!!

Lol off road bikes require a bit more than that but point taken. The real hazard is not tripping over all the battery tender wires in my garage!

My e-start bike is a 2 stroke.

Trust me ride kick only and an estart bike offroad you will change your tune.

I have... but generally speaking, the E start adds a lot of weight to a little 2 stroke which is suppose to be simple, light-weight and non-complex. Most of my buddies with E start 2 strokes, ditch the system because it has too many gremlins, especially when dealing with extreme conditions like riding in and around water or in situations like yours.

IDK man, for off-road... I think a 200cc machine with a kick start would work great.

I have... but generally speaking, the E start adds a lot of weight to a little 2 stroke which is suppose to be simple, light-weight and non-complex. Most of my buddies with E start 2 strokes, ditch the system because it has too many gremlins, especially when dealing with extreme conditions like riding in and around water or in situations like yours.

IDK man, for off-road... I think a 200cc machine with a kick start would work great.

Sure it would work great....as long as you never stall it in a race and need to get going fast again.....

Or if you dont go trail riding with guys that like to stop a lot and are constantly shutting off the bike.

removing the estart would be silly might as well have bought a used YZ 

• Like 2

Both my KTM 450 and 300 are e start equipped. I've only kicked the 450 once just for grins in the garage. Still haven't gotten around to kicking the 300. No point in it. Only reason I see the kicker being there on either bike is as a fail over and I've never had the button fail to work. I spend energy kicking when it can be used actually riding? Not to bash on a brand but I've seen countless guys kicking the red bikes over and over until their goggles fog up. I'll keep my button and the minimal amount of weight it adds.

• Like 1