Sign in to follow this  

And the bike that came home with me this afternoon is......

After much research, chatting with friends (especially a few new ones from here!  Thx guys!), and taking everything in that folks had to say...it all came down to basically two machines.  I never thought I could go wrong either way as each had merit, as did everybody who expressed their personal opinion.  I came to the conclusion that if one deal didnt work out I would go and be very happy with the other.  I actually stumbled across this bike when I was seeking a 13 350sx-f leftover. It sounded very attractive but was pretty set on the 350sx-f.  But as a little time passed I was able to gain a little more clarity and insight from others.  My bud Rob (who is riding a 13 450sx-f) logged some time a a 14 350sx-f and I got the 911 from him.  All good by the way!  I have owned enough 450's in the past so it certainly was not a new concept to me....so when the 13.5 450sx-fe presented itself it became a bit of a draw!  So research began to get the skinny on that bike..which is a very very very close cousin to the 14 450sx-f with few exceptions.  

Long story short.......2013.5 KTM 450sx-f Factory Edition #511 now resides in the garage!  Pics will come tomorrow.  It is a beautiful bike! Truly gorgeous!  I was able to chat with enough guys that ride the bike to feel comfortable and confident in the machines manors.  So...here we go!  Power to the pumpkin baby!  My first orange bike...wooohoo!  

Thanks again to EVERYBODY who took a few minutes to weigh in on all this.....made the whole process fun!  So again, will post pics tomorrow!

Thanks,

PaulP

Very nice, excellent decision, perfect bike. :)

Thanks for letting us know what you wound up with, I was waiting for you to update the other thread!

Congrats and pix/video are necessary when making a thread like this, so hurry up! heh ;)

A couple more.  I still have a bit of work to do.  Have not run it yet either. Pull steering stem and grease, Front wheel alignment, grease linkage/swingarm, Lock-tite/zip tie some handlebar wiring, font disk cover, frame guards, adjust chain, set sage/preload, cut bout 1/4" off each side of the bars and replace grips (cause i will likely destroy them getting them off.  Uh....I'm sure there is a few more things that need doing!

Also, rumor has it that I am not the only one with a fresh Factory Edition that needs some breaking in.....I will let him (who ever he is...vbg) post on that, but good chance we will both be breaking them in together on Sunday!  

Oh yea...last pic is with the KTM Lower Seat installed that I went and picked up at one of the local KTM dealers this afternoon!

FactoryEdition6.jpg

FactoryEdition8.jpg

FactoryEdition4 .jpg

Edited by PaulP

PaulP- Congrats! A couple of recomendations from a fellow old guy rider:

1. The KTM power parts progressive dampining bar clamps have been a great addition. Besides taking out a lot of bar vibration they also assist on hard front end landings. I believe another benefit is less arm pump and better endurance.

2. Shorai battery -For about $140 you can shave 2lbs off your bike and have a stronger battery.

3. Add throttle play, bike is very easy to whiskey throttle

4. Order a spare set of the "Red Bull" related items. Between the shrouds and the decal package it is about $170. These are hard to come by, they may not be avaible when you need them.

5. Even though the FE chain is an upgrade it still sucks! Mine stretched out to the max in 20 hrs- get an O ring!

6. Loc Tite the sprocket bolts

7. Have fun!

Recent pic of my bike

http://stonedartphotos.com/stonedartwp/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/MG_1093-copy.jpg

Congrats and that is an awesome looking bike; enjoy!

PaulP- Congrats! A couple of recomendations from a fellow old guy rider:

1. The KTM power parts progressive dampining bar clamps have been a great addition. Besides taking out a lot of bar vibration they also assist on hard front end landings. I believe another benefit is less arm pump and better endurance.

2. Shorai battery -For about $140 you can shave 2lbs off your bike and have a stronger battery.

3. Add throttle play, bike is very easy to whiskey throttle

4. Order a spare set of the "Red Bull" related items. Between the shrouds and the decal package it is about $170. These are hard to come by, they may not be avaible when you need them.

5. Even though the FE chain is an upgrade it still sucks! Mine stretched out to the max in 20 hrs- get an O ring!

6. Loc Tite the sprocket bolts

7. Have fun!

Recent pic of my bike

http://stonedartphotos.com/stonedartwp/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/MG_1093-copy.jpg

I m ordering the PHDS tomorrow...green.  It has been on the list since before I brought the bike home!  

The battery is also on the list for sure!

I will def check the Throttle Cable play tomorrow and make sure there is a little play!  Thanks for the tip!

It has been suggested that I should order an extra set of graphics for the bike....I think N Style actually makes replica graphics now but I will check it out.

Yea I figured the chain was an upgrade from stock but wasn't sure if it was just a gold OEM or truly upgraded......I will watch it.

Tomorrow I will pull the sprocket bolts and blue locktite them!  Thanks for that.

I pulled the steering stem the other day and was pleasantly surprised at how much grease was in there so I was gonna let the swingarm and linkage slide, but since I had the time I pulled it off this afternoon and was again very pleased to see a descent amount of grease in the needle bearings.  However, The linkage bolts, Swingarm pivot bolt, and shock bolts were virtually dry!  The shock bolts were dry!  So I packed the bearing with a bit more grease, greased all the bolts, torqued everything to spec (It seems that  from the factory it seemed like it was all very very tight....over tightened, but I did not actually check).  Rear feel smoother and less draggy when pushing on it.  

So hopefully get out on Thursday for a first ride!  I am looking forward to it!

PaulP

The shock bolts are supposed to be dry and never greased.

The shock bolts are supposed to be dry and never greased.

....they certainly WERE!  I mentioned it above.  Also the rubber chain guide bolt (the lower one that threads into the the lower linkage bolt) was just barely "snug".  I recommend everybody check and locktite the chain guide bolts for sure!

PaulP

Spokes were fine.  I always check after first ride.  But thanks for the reminder!

PaulP

I cant believe you found a Dungey replica this late in the year!   They were sold out around here almost immediately.  Nice bike!

there are still a few around, but getting harder to find.  i know East Hanover Power Sports here in NJ had one left as of last week.