96 cr250 vs 00 KTM 250 exc

I sold my 96 cr 250, 6 months ago then bout a yz426 which I don't like because that bike will leave u in the desert stranded cause of the random starting failures they have so I'm just looking to replace it then I stumbled across a 2000 KTM 250 exc bout it had 80 miles sat for 12 years though I'm working on it to get it ready. How will it compare to the 96 cr250, power and handling?

Edited by joethedirtbikerkid

I'd be surprised if you get any knowledgeable answers on this one, as both bikes are so old.  I've had both CR and KTM 250 smokers at the same time (loved them both), but more recent models.  My only guess would be that while the CR motor from the pre-electronic powervalve era is fairly smooth, the exc version of KTMs motor will likely be even smoother.  It will still have plenty of power however.

I sold my 96 cr 250, 6 months ago then bout a yz426 which I don't like because that bike will leave u in the desert stranded cause of the random starting failures they have so I'm just looking to replace it then I stumbled across a 2000 KTM 250 exc bout it had 80 miles sat for 12 years though I'm working on it to get it ready. How will it compare to the 96 cr250, power and handling?

Power on the EXC is not even in the same league as my stock 95CR250 but it was perfectly adequate and totally usable for woods work. I loved the engine, did not love the wr trans gaps. But I sold the exc within three months due to the beyond awful handling. Absolutely would not turn in tight conditions, worst bike I have ever ridden. If not in tight conditions it was fine and I actually liked the susp in the woods. But I went from getting trophys regularly to a straggler in the HS/Enduro conditions I typically ride. Sold it to a DEA agent and went straight back to my Honda dealer. Just my experience.