Sign in to follow this  

Chains and tires

Im building a 125 for vintage mx. I didn't realize until I had road raced bicycles the difference small changes in tire size and rim weight made. I could actually notice the difference between a 32 and a 36 spoke wheel

So, what is the lightest reliable 520 chain and tires made?

Im building a 125 for vintage mx. I didn't realize until I had road raced bicycles the difference small changes in tire size and rim weight made. I could actually notice the difference between a 32 and a 36 spoke wheel

So, what is the lightest reliable 520 chain and tires made?

old 125's are a slight bit heavier then a bicycle

:bonk:

It's an 83 kx125. I know a small tire is the choice . I thought someone might know which brand of tire was lightest . Doubt all 110x19 tires weigh in the same.

Yes clearly when you are the engine on a bicycle, weight can be felt easily. But dont think it doesn't make a difference on a dirt bike.

I had a flat on my WR450 and robbed the rear wheel off my yz125. It was nearly 3 pounds lighter with smaller tire, standard tube and aluminum sprocket . I'm far from being a double digit pro mxer, but I was shocked how much better my bike went over nasty ground and how it accelerated quicker. If there is anywhere to save weight on a bike is anyplace after the linkage and end of the forks. Since I had to buy those items anyway I'd do a little research first.

It's funny now 4 strokes are here wieight isn't such a big issue to magazine testers or riders that buy them.

Back when 2 strokes ruled Moto if a bike was 7 pounds more than another model it was damned to Hell and was unrideable.

Now a 250f is 30lbs more than a 125 no one seems to care