Sign in to follow this  

Help me with 'the list'

So the snow will be here before too long and the drz will be going under the knife. I bought the bike pretty much stock this year and have loved every second in the saddle. I really can't see parting with this bike anytime soon as it just does pretty much everything for me. So it's time to sink a little bit of money into it to make next season that much better. So my list is as follows:

-Mrd/ssw

-TT fcr kit

-ACT wide ratio gear set

-Locktite fixes

-New chain/sprocket setup for my dirt and sm wheel sets to go with the wide ratio gears. Can't wait to not change sprockets when I want to drive on the highway!

While I have the engine completely apart is there anything else I should do? Gasket set? Single layer base gasket? I plan on taking my time so if anything is worn I will replace. The bike has fairly low kms so hopefully I won't run into many issues.

Looking to keep costs low as the parts listed above will probably set me back around 2-2500 all said and done. No big bore kit or stroker crank. Looking to keep the bike reliable and solid for years to come. And just add a little bit more power.

I just want to make sure I am not forgetting something while I am ordering parts and have the whole thing apart.

Recondition the cylinder head

The bike has pretty low kms. What do you recommend doing to recondition the head? Take it somewheres or clean it with solvent or something like that?

Definately get the Hot Cams, they make a real good power difference, and a freaking bargain at only around $250 IMHO.

Id get some TT case savers too.

Already have the case savers. Not TT ones but they get the job done.

I'm hoping that the fcr and pipe will be enough of a power difference for me. I already like the power with the stock pipe and jetted carb, just want better throttle response really.... Cams are something I can put in at any time so maybe next winters project. Did you really notice a big difference with them?

• Like 1

Already have the case savers. Not TT ones but they get the job done.

I'm hoping that the fcr and pipe will be enough of a power difference for me. I already like the power with the stock pipe and jetted carb, just want better throttle response really.... Cams are something I can put in at any time so maybe next winters project. Did you really notice a big difference with them?

More then i was expecting,   one of those things that once you have them on your bike,   you will never want to go back to stock,   they get you up to speed faster and extend each gears use by 3+ mph. 

you will need to raise up the idle a bit for them,   with the stockers i was around 1400,  and with the Hot Cams that almost made them stall,  so i raised it up to about 1650 and now it idles perfectly. 

• Like 1

More then i was expecting, one of those things that once you have them on your bike, you will never want to go back to stock, they get you up to speed faster and extend each gears use by 3+ mph.

you will need to raise up the idle a bit for them, with the stockers i was around 1400, and with the Hot Cams that almost made them stall, so i raised it up to about 1650 and now it idles perfectly.

... And my wallet gets even lighter....

... And my wallet gets even lighter....

Dont blame me,  its the forum's fault   :smirk:

Still they are the most affordable performance upgrade compared to the BBK, MRD/SSW, FCR-MX.  

You can order the pipe direct from MRD btw,  great company. 

Dont blame me, its the forum's fault :smirk:

Still they are the most affordable performance upgrade compared to the BBK, MRD/SSW, FCR-MX.

You can order the pipe direct from MRD btw, great company.

I have read through some threads Dave has posted in. Seems like a great guy. I am trying to save a bit on shipping/ border fees by getting everything through TT (Canada)

• Like 1

Cams will make the carb and pipe sing, synergy, the standard cams are only worth putting in the scrap bin

Cams will make the carb and pipe sing, synergy, the standard cams are only worth putting in the scrap bin

You guys aren't making this any easier... But what else should I expect? I kind of asked for it... Does anyone have any feedback on the wr gears? I posted in the other thread already.

Thanks everyone!

Get the 9.05mm 238 lift hotcams, they are extremely good value, single layer base gasket, the pipe and carb will work as they should, proven combo, in effect you will create an E model spec with a pipe, those hotcams are gentle on standard valves, you have got low miles so your valves should be ok, standard head is good for 50 hp with a stroker/big bore combo, , or get a cheap set of A and B stamped E model cams second hand off the net, its all about the combination providing results greater than the parts, synergy, 42-44 hp, cheers

Get the 9.05mm (lift) 238 (duration sorry) hotcams, they are extremely good value, single layer base gasket, the pipe and carb will work as they should, proven combo, in effect you will create an E model spec with a pipe, those hotcams are gentle on standard valves, you have got low miles so your valves should be ok, standard head is good for 50 hp with a stroker/big bore combo, , or get a cheap set of A and B stamped E model cams second hand off the net, its all about the combination providing results greater than the parts, synergy, 42-44 hp, cheers

Edited my own post

A well built big bore or stroker motor won't sacrifice reliablity...

If your splitting the cases and have some bucks to spend......It would be something to think about...

I have a bit of money to spend but in the end I would like to keep it under 2500 bucks all said and done. The big bore and stroker will add another 1-2000 to that at least. While the idea of way more power sounds awesome... I like how the bike drives now. At the moment I can only have one bike but in a year or so we will be buying a house (garage :) ) and then I will probably add a 300 ktm to the lineup and use the drz for road duty and light offroad / dual sporting. So I will probably stop at the gears/pipe/fcr and now possibly cams. But hey. I can always split the cases again in a year when I change my mind...

I have a bit of money to spend but in the end I would like to keep it under 2500 bucks all said and done. The big bore and stroker will add another 1-2000 to that at least. While the idea of way more power sounds awesome... I like how the bike drives now. At the moment I can only have one bike but in a year or so we will be buying a house (garage :) ) and then I will probably add a 300 ktm to the lineup and use the drz for road duty and light offroad / dual sporting. So I will probably stop at the gears/pipe/fcr and now possibly cams. But hey. I can always split the cases again in a year when I change my mind...

fair enough, you mite want to bump up the compression with a single layer base gasket then...you would probably will want to install a new piston and rings ,.(at least rings as a minumum).. so for the cost of a couple of hundred bucks you would have yourself a Cylinder Works big bore kit