Sign in to follow this  

Beware of Honda Yamaha of Knoxville, Tennessee

Check out the email string below. Would love to hear your comments...

On Sep 26, 2013, at 4:58 PM, Benji Armstrong wrote:

Again, you might want to hold off on your comments.

On Sep 26, 2013, at 4:28 PM, Ronnie Hodge wrote:

As far as how long you have to wipe with a finger to remove the chain lube off your spokes is irrelevant as you are responsible for cleaning your own machine that is not something that is a service issue and allowing these foreign materials to set on the aluminum is In my opinion neglygents and can cause pitting in the future, further more just because a dealership sells a product dose not in any way mean you will not have to clean your motorcycle

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 26, 2013, at 3:59 PM, Benji Armstrong wrote:

Thanks for the test results - I will pass this along to Dobeck. Just odd that no one from here to Thailand, with the same bike, same parts and mods, has had this issue. But they didn't have the "stuck in 3rd gear" warranty issue like I did either. I have to ask, is the fuel pressure test something that you did prior to my request? Or did what I emailed you earlier spur you to check the fuel pressure? Just curious.

Back to aftermarket parts - I think we may have a big problem here. I was told that the aftermarket parts (prior to purchase and install) would not affect the warranty. I have the email from Eric back in April stating so - see below.

On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 2:30 PM, Eric Collins wrote:

It will not affect the warranty. I would do both items together. You are

not going to get much benefit from doing them separate. You could even hurt

the performance.

Honda/Yamaha Of Knoxville

5820 Clinton Hwy

Knoxville,TN 37912

865-688-8484

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 4:36 PM

To: Eric Collins

Subject: Re: CRF250L

Eric,

If I add a FMF muffler and header with a fuel programmer, how or will that

affect the warranty?

What are the implications of adding one at a time - add muffler. Later add

header or tuner, etc.

Thanks,

Benji

With what you've told me and what Honda has made clear to you, there's obviously a big difference in what I was told was warrantable and what is, in fact, correct.

I'm afraid that we may have a much larger issue at hand. I will say that the term "neglygents" (or negligence as I know it), is never a 'customer friendly' term to describe any issue with any customer. You may want to watch that in the future.

So, how long with a "finger" did it take to clean half the spokes? Just curious about that. I only used the chain lube that was suggested by your parts department (and purchased there).

No more work is necessary from your end, but again, I can't get the bike back until Saturday.

This question is for Eric - I have to confirm that all the paperwork for canceling the extended warranty is in order for when I pick the bike up - it was financed through Honda - I assume the payment will be reduced.

I will wait until I hear back from you before I come in - I will take the aftermarket/warranty issue up with corporate.

On Sep 26, 2013, at 3:12 PM, Ronnie Hodge wrote:

Sorry to bother you at work , I had the head technician Buddy Berney look at the unit today , we did check the fuel psi and the spec according to honda is 50psi and your bike has 52psi ,

He test rode the unit and the only issue or symptom it done for him was as he came to a stop with bike at idle the rpm fluctuated a little , and then when he came back to shop he pulled inside the garage shutting the bike off at the door to advise me the bike ran great other than the idle fluctuating , he restarted the bike after about 3 min of discussing the running condition, he the went to ride the bike back on the lift and the motor died, it restarted instantly ,, again today this is the only issue the bike has given us ,

I called Honda tech line @ 11:35 and gave them all known information including the fact I my self felt the stumble the bike has even though the tech did not experience the problem

Honda said with the modifications done on this machine honda factory warranty or the Honda extended service program can not warranty or pay for any diagnostic or repairs on these related issues until the unit is returned to a stock form

-- the spokes in the rear rim has NO pitting in it , the substance on the spokes seems to be chain lube and with some cleaner and a little effort in cleaning ,the spokes come clean as new , advised tech line of this issue and cleaning the chain lube off spokes is not a warrantable item either as the customer has to clean his own machine ,, I have cleaned half the spokes in the wheel to make sure there is no pitting and rest assured there is not and you need to maintain this area better

I am not going to charge you for anything done so far to the unit , if you wish for us to go any further charges will accrue as Honda has made it clear the issues at hand are to fault from the aftermarket extras installed and neglygents of cleaning the bike ,, thank you for your time and if you wish us to go no further with any repairs your motorcycle is ready to pic up at your convince

Hondas customer service # 1-866-784-1870

Claim # m022013-09-2600344

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 26, 2013, at 2:11 PM, Benji Armstrong wrote:

I saw you called - I haven't had a chance to call back - or to eat lunch.

I'm in conference calls and meetings through the rest of the afternoon.

Just shoot me an email.

Thanks,

Benji

On Sep 26, 2013, at 9:35 AM, Ronnie Hodge wrote:

Sorry it took so long to reply , we will look back over the repair orders and revisit the other issues for you first thing this morning, I apologize for any wrong tone I took with you and never meant any disrespect , your issues are serious to us and we want to address them properly for you

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 25, 2013, at 7:33 PM, Benji Armstrong wrote:

Ronnie,

I only email because I'm covered up at work and don't have time to leave my office to discuss these issues.

Before I come to retrieve the bike, I looked back at my last service records and reviewed all of my questions/requests (for $336, I'd like to confirm). Further, nothing has been added performance wise since then or changed. It ran fine before - you guys checked it out. It's all noted in the invoice #13011069 or r/o #13001065 - you were the cashier listed.

Let's revisit the pitting on the rear spokes. I will say that the pitting is not removable with a "finger". I let that slide when I paid and picked up the bike, but you can go on and finger it all you want to see that it doesn't come off. That needs resolve.

Please revisit this before I retrieve the bike. It takes a lot of time out of my work day not to mention either trailering it over (when it had the warranty covered shifter issue - stuck in 3rd - please see that service invoice) or having to get a ride home - 2 year old in daycare and another on the way. That's been my major concern all along - when there's a factory issue at 7 miles, and other things go wrong, that makes me worry. Would it you?

Please note that I confirmed with Eric Collins in 4/3/14 before purchasing and installing the aftermarket performance parts that adding the tuner and exhaust to the bike would not affect the warranty, but now you're telling me differently. I've been on every forum and chat room from here to Thailand and no one has had these issues. I'm in talks with Dobeck Performance as well to try and pinpoint the issue. It's a first for them as well.

When all said and done, I should have bought the bike and not returned. I will not return for service at this dealership. I don't appreciate being told that everything that I've done (aftermarket) to the bike is causing all of the problems nor the tone you delivered it. I pay you - you don't pay me. I purchased an extended warranty that I will now cancel when I pick up the bike (when all I've requested is complete).

I'm certain your parts department sells aftermarket parts including exhaust pipes - I'm remember seeing the Yoshimura products on the wall. I'm certain that your service department installs it - I had even got quotes to do the work. And thus the reason why I paid $330 when it was serviced and your guy spent 3 hours all over it to confirm that all was installed properly and functioning as it should.

This was my first bike - I had hoped my dealings with dealerships and service departments would be different. I've had Honda vehicles for the past 20 years - 6 total not including the CRF. They've all been great products, but the worst part is dealing with service. If I told you everything that's happened over the past couple of years - with just 2 cars, you wouldn't believe me. I've worked in the field before and I know how it operates.

Let me know when all has been addressed so I can cancel the warranty and pick up the bike - I don't have any more time to spend on these issues. I won't be able to pick it up until Saturday at the earliest, so I would use the time wisely. I would appreciate and hope you explore every avenue of what could be wrong. If I pay someone else to find out it was the bike itself, rest assured, I'll be all over it.

Benji

Ok i read the whole thing --so what happened or is it still on going--Call the head Honda office and complain a LOT!! worked for me years ago--i even threatened to burn it on their lawn in So Cal ( i forget the town at the time ?Gardena?) in front of the news media--they sent a special mechanic to my dealer and found a piece of gasket was burning up the heads (3) in my CB350--this was in 72 as i remember--worked for me :excuseme: :excuseme: :excuseme:

• Like 2

Ok i read the whole thing --so what happened or is it still on going--Call the head Honda office and complain a LOT!! worked for me years ago--i even threatened to burn it on their lawn in So Cal ( i forget the town at the time ?Gardena?) in front of the news media--they sent a special mechanic to my dealer and found a piece of gasket was burning up the heads (3) in my CB350--this was in 72 as i remember--worked for me :excuseme: :excuseme: :excuseme:

The 450s of that era were very problematic also. I love my Hondas but Honda corporate can be very difficult.

From what I have read, they are not refusing warranty, but they are requesting you to return it back to stock configuration so they can properly diagnose the fault. I think that is a reasonable request.

There are definitely some issues with the EJK controller which can be remedied if you are willing to make adjustments, there also appears to be a problem with the idle when cold in the morning (ie as winter approaches), I suspect it could be condensation on the O2 sensor, once the bike warms up the hunting goes away, ie at least on my bike.

Do you have an issue temporarily returning the bike back to stock configuration to diagnose the fault? 

• Like 3

IT as in Information Technology. As in, meetings and conference calls and so on. And dumbasses that don't understand that you can't always do private calls like that when you're at work. 

In the wonderful world of Ford .... when your vehicle is under warranty ... 

If you take your vehicle to a non authorized Ford repair facility and they diagnose that you need a TPS (or any other part)  and then you buy a TPS from Ford you can then take a copy of the invoice from that repair facility along with your old part and return the part to said Ford dealer. Then the dealer will file a claim with Ford Motor Company .... after the claim is approved ... said dealer will refund you the price of the part.  But they will not pay labor unless you had it repaired at a Ford dealer.

I do not know if this would apply to Honda but, I do believe this is the law of the land ....  :excuseme:

Edited by gnath9

Huh?

No - I work for an international conversion company. When one company acquires another, banks acquire other banks, etc., we are the folks that implement, design, manufacture and install. The conference calls usually prove worthless and are mainly with the customer.

The problem isn't returning it to stock, the issue is that I've been told 3 different contradicting things in regards to the service, aftermarket parts and the warranty and no one wants to own up to it. It's crap. The issue is that dealer.

After I have it tuned and if things aren't running properly, I'll take it to stock and to another dealer.

• Like 1

The problem isn't returning it to stock, the issue is that I've been told 3 different contradicting things in regards to the service, aftermarket parts and the warranty and no one wants to own up to it. It's crap. The issue is that dealer.

After I have it tuned and if things aren't running properly, I'll take it to stock and to another dealer.

That is

what i would do--Did you ever call the head office in

Torrance Kalifornia??

Edited by USMCVietVet

That is

what i would do--Did you ever call the head office in

Torrance Kalifornia??

I called customer service, but they said since dealers were independently owned, there was nothing they could do. The owner here has a Harley shop too - thinking that may be the route I'll take, but first I will file a complaint with the BBB and send him a copy of the letter I'm sending to the local paper.

I was so close to breaking that service manager in half when I came to pick the bike up, it was ridiculous. He was stumbling, studdering, etc. He wouldn't even crank the bike, he walked it from the back of the dealership to my trailer. Just an idiot punk.

• Like 1

Sorry for your troubles--How far to the next Dealership?? I don't trade at my local (5 miles) one either long story--i go the extra 100 miles to the next one in Washington--so i hear you--good luck tho!! :thumbsup::blush: :blush: :cheers: :cheers:

I would be contacting Honda USA directly to get the issue sorted out. I think you will have more success complaining to them.

The dealers won't do anything without first consulting Honda and most of them are too busy (arse holes) to fill in the paperwork.

Edited by Positron007
  • Like 2

I'm on my phone right now but ... I am sure Honda has a regional representative for such matters as your. Honda does not like unhappy customers.

A Google search may lead you to an 800 number

• Like 1

I'm on my phone right now but ... I am sure Honda has a regional representative for such matters as your. Honda does not like unhappy customers.

A Google search may lead you to an 800 number

This what i have been saying since post #2--it worked for me tho i had to threaten then and in todays world that is not advisable--Don't let them KISS you off--

• Like 2

This what i have been saying since post #2--it worked for me tho i had to threaten then and in todays world that is not advisable--Don't let them KISS you off--

Yes ... I am just trying to reitarate your message :p

• Like 1

Yes ... I am just trying to reitarate your message :p

I couldn't spell reiterate cause i are not a college graduate -me :p :p

Edited by USMCVietVet
  • Like 2

I couldn't spell reiterate cause i are not a college graduate -me :p :p

I do have an eye appointment this Friday ... :p

• Like 1