Sign in to follow this  

trail riding upgrades for a 2 stroke?

Need a little advice here. Just picked up a 2000 cr80 for my gf to ride, we will be doing mostly trail riding. I have a 2000 rm125. I know a 4 stroke would have been a better avenue to start her out with but a two stoke is what I choose. I have heard of some things you can do to make a 2 stroke more trail friendly i.e. crank weights. She seems to be struggling not to foul out the plug, and now I’m starting to foul them out time to time as I wait for her and help her get going. So what are you guys doing to help your 2 strokes out on the trails? Are there any upgrades I can get to help calm the little cr80 down for her and make it more manageable, as well as extend the plug life a bit? I don’t mind throwing plugs at it but two or three a day is excessive. I’m sure as she/we ride more she will get better with the bike, but for now, what can I do to help her out. I wouldn’t mind making the same changes to my rm125 so that it’s a friendlier bike for my buddies to come out and ride from time to time.

lean out the pilot a bit or go to a hotter plug while she is learning to ride to prevent or prolong fouling.  Once she is getting higher in the revs and pushing the bike more you can switch that back. 

• Like 2

sell it and get a crf150 or ttr, 2 stroke is a bad idea on a girl.

jetting is setup for moto, 2 strokes are meant tobe ridden wide open. Lugging a 85 is a scary first bike. 

if you keep it

drop the needle one clip position,

go 1-2 sizes smaller on the main

least 1 size smaller on the pilot

flywheel weight

clean premix oil like amsoil interceptor at 40:1 is a very clean burning oil

Its the wrong bike for the job.  crf100-150 or ttr would be what i would get her.

i hope any fast "girls" don't see this   :lol:

if you get my drift  :thumbsup:

bigger rear sprocket or smaller front would give it more low end.. I don't think you'd want that with a new rider, I got my wife into ridin a couple years ago, her parents have an open field she rode in the field for like 8 to 10 hours before we hit the trails, kinda boring for me around empty field, but I let her get comfy on the bike, i'd follow her or watch her and tell her what she was doin wrong,  she started on a crf 150f, great beginner bike, I recently bought her a ktm 200exc, let her ride in the field again for a few hours then hit the easier trails now startin to hit a little more technical stuff, so girls can ride 2 strokes just fine, but its just you gotta be patient with them, and let them get comfy at their own pace.

i hope any fast "girls" don't see this   :lol:

if you get my drift  :thumbsup:

No beginner girls are "fast" girls, at least concerning bikes. That 80 is a dumb choice.

No beginner girls are "fast" girls, at least concerning bikes. That 80 is a dumb choice.

That's just ignorant. Your position on the matter makes it sound like girls cant ride 2 strokes. A crf or ttr would be outgrown by anyone including girls faster than an 80. Any 80 would have enough power to be scary at first then crazy fun when they learn to be "one with the bike" like everyone does. And my fiance and I bought her a yz80 for her to learn on. A few whiskey throttles and a lot of broken plastics later she's a compitent rider. That doesn't happen on a ttr. Theres no pusshing yourself. The bike cant get away from you. Theres no sticky situations. Nothing to challenge yourself with. An 80 is a fine choice.

your prolly right,i just meant that some people take thing's the wrong way on tt,as in.......... certain comment's may be percieved as sexist.

hey thanks for the input on jetting and needle placement. i did a quick google search for crank wieghts and came up empty handed. any brands you guys can suggest or places to pick one up at.

as for a poor choice in a bike. i only half agree. no its not the best bike but she can ride and will grow into it quickly. she rode 4Wheelers and learned on a kx140 four stroke so its not like she can't ride and is starting from scratch. she is awesome and will be out kicking ass in no time. just doesnt hurt to help her out by setting the bike up a little better.

Depending on how much money you wanna put into a little 80 cc bike, you could get a small flywheel weight to make the bike's powerband more linear, and get an FMF Gnarly exhaust pipe to give it more bottom end.  A spark arrestor will also help calm it down.

The jetting being leaned out will help not foul plugs so badly.  Give her some time, she'll get on the RPMs and ride it like its designed to be ridden.

If she isn't really wrapping it out, I've gone pretty lean with my oil mixture. As lean as 50:1 for an extended period of time on trails. 

Depending on how much money you wanna put into a little 80 cc bike, you could get a small flywheel weight to make the bike's powerband more linear, and get an FMF Gnarly exhaust pipe to give it more bottom end. A spark arrestor will also help calm it down.

The jetting being leaned out will help not foul plugs so badly. Give her some time, she'll get on the RPMs and ride it like its designed to be ridden.

fmf doesn't make a gnarly for 80cc but a flywheel weight would help a bunch.

1. Flywheel weight.

2. Jetting & premix, get it right to prevent fouling. This may include 1-2 heat ranges hotter than stock on the spark plug.

3. Get the bike to fit her, I.e. bar risers or taller bars. Get her standing not sitting!

4. Once she gets good on the 80, move her to a KX 100, big wheels and power valve 2 stroke will make all the difference.

Have fun,

ams oil suggests to run their pre mix at 100.1, i have been mixing it at 75.1 just fo be safe. haven't had an issue yet. anyone else running ams oil?

i still cant track down a compan that makes or sells a crank weight.

Need a little advice here. Just picked up a 2000 cr80 for my gf to ride, we will be doing mostly trail riding. I have a 2000 rm125. I know a 4 stroke would have been a better avenue to start her out with but a two stoke is what I choose. I have heard of some things you can do to make a 2 stroke more trail friendly i.e. crank weights. She seems to be struggling not to foul out the plug, and now I’m starting to foul them out time to time as I wait for her and help her get going. So what are you guys doing to help your 2 strokes out on the trails? Are there any upgrades I can get to help calm the little cr80 down for her and make it more manageable, as well as extend the plug life a bit? I don’t mind throwing plugs at it but two or three a day is excessive. I’m sure as she/we ride more she will get better with the bike, but for now, what can I do to help her out. I wouldn’t mind making the same changes to my rm125 so that it’s a friendlier bike for my buddies to come out and ride from time to time.

In stock form the 80 is a tough bike to ride on trails.  With some money it can become awesome on trails.  The flywheel weight is a must, that would be the first thing I would do to it.  Put a 5mm exhaust spacer on it for more low end torque (these are things that can be done today).  Like was stated above, you need to lean out the jetting, get a 1 stage smaller pilot, put the needle in the second clip position and drop the main a size or two depending on altitude.  Get a factory Honda service manual and follow the jetting chart, it is pretty accurate on what to jet the bike at what altitude.  If you want to spend some money making it the perfect trail bike, send it to EG and either have him put his 105cc big bore kit on it with low/mid porting or just have him do low/mid porting for it.  I can tell you that the 105cc big bore kit with low mid porting turns the bike into an awesome beginner bike and it will lug with any 4 stroke on trails.  I had an 01 that I did that with and it was awesome.  You have to really lean out the jetting with the bb kit though.  to build the exhaust spacer you may need to have someone machine one for you unless you can take some 5mm aluminum stock and build it yourself using your exhaust manifold as a template.  The exhaust spacers make a huge difference.  If you get the bike bb'd or ported you won't need the spacer.  Here is a flywheel weight for it:

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/44/54/228/926/3060/6068/Steahly-Heavy-Flywheel-Weight

Edited by frdbtr

ams oil suggests to run their pre mix at 100.1, i have been mixing it at 75.1 just fo be safe. haven't had an issue yet. anyone else running ams oil?

Mix your gas at 32:1.  You foul plugs because of jetting, not oil/gas mix ratio.  75:1 is way too lean of oil for a small bore 2 stroke.

If she isn't really wrapping it out, I've gone pretty lean with my oil mixture. As lean as 50:1 for an extended period of time on trails. 

Mix your gas at 32:1.  You foul plugs because of jetting, not oil/gas mix ratio.  75:1 is way too lean of oil for a small bore 2 stroke.

75:1 is way rich and 50:1 is Rich ...32:1 is leaner . The less premix, the more rich the fuel mixture.

Leaning out with the carb is prolly gonna work better and 32:1 in a 80 is better anyway.

I dont know about crank weights but i'd HIGHLY SUGGEST AVOIDING Fly wheel weights on any  SMALL BORE up to and incl a 125, they rob small bores of the precious little bottom end they have, making them even harder to ride. Try a G2 adjustable cam throttle tube, install the 400 cam longest throw throttle , it's very hard to get whiskey throttle with the 400. Later on When she wants quicker power then put the 200 cam in. MX bikes come with a very short throttle twist b/c ...well you know what they are meant to do ........ Good luck.

Edited by avocasingletrack

75:1 is way rich and 50:1 is Rich ...32:1 is leaner . The less premix, the more rich the fuel mixture.

Leaning out with the carb is prolly gonna work better and 32:1 in a 80 is better anyway.

I dont know about crank weights but i'd HIGHLY SUGGEST AVOIDING Fly wheel weights on any  SMALL BORE up to and incl a 125, they rob small bores of the precious little bottom end they have, making them even harder to ride. Try a G2 adjustable cam throttle tube, install the 400 cam longest throw throttle , it's very hard to get whiskey throttle with the 400. Later on When she wants quicker power then put the 200 cam in. MX bikes come with a very short throttle twist b/c ...well you know what they are meant to do ........ Good luck.

Awesome, Thanks for the help. I will run my mix at 32.1 from now on.

I will order one size smaller jet, one tooth larger front sprocket, flywheel weight and start working on making a spacer and lower the needle tonight.

I'm 100% fine with taking power away from the bike. works out to my advantage at the moment. She can get on it and enjoy the bike right away, and isn’t that what it’s all about, having fun. When she starts getting bored in a few months I can make the changes back to the way the bike was, she will get the exhilarating feeling, fall in love with it all over again, and the best part is, it won’t cost me a dime. Win Win for me.