Sign in to follow this  

California Moved to Tehachapi

I recently retired and moved to the Tehachapi area, and am looking for some folks to ride with and show me around. I am familiar with the desert, but am really interested in the Kern Valley area and the Piutes. I have been to the Kern area on a dual sport ride a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. I have been to the Piutes once, but spent the day clearing trees with Chris from SOS, so I didn't get to see much.

I have a plated KTM and prefer mountain jeep roads and single track to wide open desert. I am 59 years old, have ridden for 45 years, and am a capable rider. I am up for pretty much any kind of DS riding. Prefer mid-week, but am good for any time.

Gary

Brother, if I can't talk the Boss into moving out of state we'll be in Tehachapi in about 4 years. Only problem up there are the horse people, they think all trails are for horses only. If enough of us move to the area we can over run them like.....well you know what I mean =^]

I haven't run into any problems with the horse folks. I really like it in Tehachapi. Quite a change from North San Diego County. There is supposed to be some great riding in this area, I just need to find it.

Brother, if I can't talk the Boss into moving out of state we'll be in Tehachapi in about 4 years. Only problem up there are the horse people, they think all trails are for horses only. If enough of us move to the area we can over run them like.....well you know what I mean =^]

I've thought about moving there myself, after my son goes away to college next year. Went up there about a year ago to check it out. I would imagine there's all kinds of riding up there if you're discreet about it.

Edited by Aaron8

It's definitely really nice, I've only been out that way for work and drove around a bit afterward.

Is it Kern county?  I work out on the west end of rosamond blvd and there's signs all over saying to go to jawbone, dove springs and other such places but it looks like you could ride from there to Tehachapi; tough looking stuff too.

Edited by helix66

Considered it as well.  Decided against it, but that's a different thread.....

Hey Gary - the guy from "thebannerisup.com" http://thebannerisup.district37ama.org/about.shtml - Billy Dean - lives in Tehachapi or more likely Bear Valley I think.  At least the last time I talked with him which was ages ago.  Nice guy.  Rides a Husky last I heard.  I'm sure he's be up for a mid week ride with a neighbor.  Bill

Considered it as well.  Decided against it, but that's a different thread.....

Hey Gary - the guy from "thebannerisup.com" http://thebannerisup.district37ama.org/about.shtml - Billy Dean - lives in Tehachapi or more likely Bear Valley I think.  At least the last time I talked with him which was ages ago.  Nice guy.  Rides a Husky last I heard.  I'm sure he's be up for a mid week ride with a neighbor.  Bill

Bill, thanks for the link. I live in Bear Valley now and had heard of Billy Dean, but last info I had was he had sold his bike and wasn't riding any more.

Makes sense.  Last time I remember Billy riding was 2-3 years ago.  I met him out at Krammer Junction.  That day was the last ride of the season for him.  Never heard about or saw him out the next season... or since.  :excuseme:

Always fun to ride with a local legend...  wish I met him earlier.