Old cr vs yz

K so there's two bikes I'm looking at, one is an 89 cr250, which I think looks really nice, the other is a 94 yz250, which is missing one side panel and it has the goofiest clear desert tank that sticks up really high

The yz is seized up, the cr turns over but has no compression, the cr is asking 500, I could probably get him down to 400, the yz wants to trade me for my xl600 which I just rebuilt, and he's throwing in a ps3 with games, Xbox stuff and an extra tire.. my xl600 has been such a headache, I'm glad to get rid of it, plus I still have a second one.. or I have a third guy that might buy my xl6 for $850

Just curious which way you guys think I should go, the cr thinks he has a hole in the piston, but last time I dealt with no compression it was because the bore was damaged.. the yz might be able to get away with a hone and new piston kit

I'm sure I could get either working, just curious which one has a stronger engine? Or a stronger frame, or better suspension for jumping?

1380303518480.jpg

1380303527372.jpg

Or if I take the cash I also have the option to get an older ktm550 2 stroke that has a cracked piston, but if there is bore damage then I can't buy a new cylinder, not even used ones on eBay

I would sell the xl an save some cash and go for something newer, older bikes can be a headache if not maintained properly

I would sell the xl an save some cash and go for something newer, older bikes can be a headache if not maintained properly

This is the clear  best option. Listen to the man!

I've got experience rebuilding stuff, I can make it like new and maintain it right for a lot cheaper then buying something that's only 10 years old and still could have been maintained wrong

Yep, if cost effective it is always fun to resurrect a bike.

I've got experience rebuilding stuff, I can make it like new and maintain it right for a lot cheaper then buying something that's only 10 years old and still could have been maintained wrong

this is true but I think it would be more cost effective to get something newer because parts will be easier to get, and when it comes time to resale it will be a lot easier to sell a newer bike. But it's your decision in the end I'm just saying what I would do.