Sign in to follow this  

Battery Charging Issues

Hey all

When I have the battery charger plugged in. At 8 second intervals the fan, fi light and what sounds like the fuel pump turn on. Also if the healihht switch is turned on it will also turn on.

Anyone have an idea why this is? And if it is bad for the bike? I have pretty much figured that it is obviously not normal.

Here is the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcHduJYjmts&feature=youtu.be

Thanks

Edited by MrEnduro96

Are you using an Optimate charger?  My '10 FE 450 would cycle the fuel pump if I used the Optimate, while there were no issues if I used the "normal" older model Battery Tender.  I think it has something to do with the pulse nature of the Optimate charger.

I used to pull the fuel injection fuse (middle fuse in the block under the seat) to avoid this.  Then the OEM battery died and I put in a Shorai which needs no tending. Problem solved and the weight loss (about 4 pounds, high and under the seat) is very notable while riding.

Try pulling the fuel injector fuse first.

Right now I'm using a "battery tender mini". I guess taking the fuse out would be less of a hassle than unscrewing a battery terminal aha

And currently I have a shorai in it. Only 1 year old, but sometimes my bike acts like the battery is dead and has a hard time cranking, so I just keep it charged all the time.

Edited by MrEnduro96

Smart chargers pulsating is the cause for sure, it is sending a signal to the bikes pcm and the pcm or ecu is signaling the other modules such as the fan and fuel pump. Best to disconnect the battery always as who knows how reliable smart chargers really are and what damage they could cause. Anyways your smart charger turns off when battery is charged and then turns on when it sees a draw or loss of voltage, this is why the fan and fuel pump signal as the charger spikes voltage each eight seconds and the pcm reads it. My bike has a shut down relay and everything turns off after the bike stops running, but when signaled it opens the relay this could be happening when the voltage increases from the charger?