New Brakes Brake In?

Just wondering if new rotors and pads take a while to brake in.  I have a 2004 Cr250 and I Just got a new cheap e-bay rotor that came with pads.  The rotor is thicker than the oem one.  It works horrible on the test ride down my street I could barely get the tire to lock up.  Doesn't grab hardly at all.  Will this get better as the brand new rotor get broken in?

Did you clean the rotor before installing it? When was the last time you changed your fluid? If it was a cheap rotor I'm guessing the pads were cheap too and may not have much grab.......

The way to break in a new rotor/pads or just new pads it to get the bike up to 30 or so MPH and do a hard stop to about 5 MPH without locking up the wheel. Locking it up will embed pad material into the rotor in a bad way.

Do this about 10X then run it like normal.

What type of pads did you get?

Metallics take longer to break in, but they last longer.

organics don't, but they wear out quicker

Did you clean the rotor before installing it? When was the last time you changed your fluid? If it was a cheap rotor I'm guessing the pads were cheap too and may not have much grab.......

The way to break in a new rotor/pads or just new pads it to get the bike up to 30 or so MPH and do a hard stop to about 5 MPH without locking up the wheel. Locking it up will embed pad material into the rotor in a bad way.

Do this about 10X then run it like normal.

This is how I do it. Can't remember where else I read this. Found it on crfstuff.com's tech tips

Edited by Keith72

Thanks for the reply's guys.  No I didn't clean the new rotor before installing and it has been a while since I changed the brake fluid.  I'm not sure what the pads are made of it looks like there is metal flakes in them.  I'll try that break in procedure thanks.

A lot of rotors come with a oil based rust inhibitor. Once the pads soak up that oil they are less effective than what they were intended to be.

since you say it's got metal flakes, then it sounds like you got sintered metallic pads.

IF so, then one drawback w/ sintered metallic pad is that it needs time to heat up before it bites. So it might take 3-4 minutes of riding and braking before that initial bite feels right. 

Most riders like the non-metallic materials like the organic or carbon fiber type of pads because it starts to bite right away.

Also, what rotor material is it?

YOu have two types for dirt...carbon steel or stainless steel.