76-79 yz125

Hello!

Just bought myself an old yz with a lot of work on...

Engine seems tight and fine, but miss the cdi-unit... 

I can not quite figure out wich year it is... It has the drive on left side but it has the exhaust on the right side... It also seems like it has the gastank of a 81 or newer...  Also it has a bar/tube behind the seat over the rear fender.... I cant find another one with that?? 

Is there someone here with good knowledge in theese bikes?  

PK

google image all the years.. 76 had aluminum tank and flat steel swingarm with monoshock,77 had a plastic tank and a steel round tube type swingarm,78-79 the same almost but had an aluminum swingarm

Hello!

Just bought myself an old yz with a lot of work on...

Engine seems tight and fine, but miss the cdi-unit...

I can not quite figure out wich year it is... It has the drive on left side but it has the exhaust on the right side... It also seems like it has the gastank of a 81 or newer... Also it has a bar/tube behind the seat over the rear fender.... I cant find another one with that??

Is there someone here with good knowledge in theese bikes?

PK

Google Yamaha OEM parts and you'll find some websites that has yamaha microfiche for every year. Just go through them and you should be able to figure it out.

i just traded a nitro rc car for this yz400 im not 100% on year i think its a 79 but idk i hope someone can tell the vin on the frame is 2x5-005*** and the motor is 2x8-001*** ive ben told its a it490 but i think its a 79 yz400 can anyone help?bow 008.jpg

Yeah i know about google....  :)  

But the thing is i could not find any match...  But i found a bike i did not even know about... The Yamaha IT 125.  That one has the tube over the rear fender behind the seat as i mentioned...  But mine has the square-tubed alu swingarm like the YZ...  

I cant find any good info about the IT... But it matches my pipe on the right and drive on the left, wich no yz have...  

So i guess it'll be even harder to find parts for...  

So what about the Engine?  Is it completely different from the yz in characteristics and HP?

I've sorted it out....   Damn bike is a good mix.....   Frame, front end, engine and exh is from an old DT125... Swingarm is from an yz.... Gastank i have no idea what is from but it is plastic and it has a 1978 stamp under...    Good thing i didnt pay more than two cases of beer for it...   

That feeling when you think you made a great deal and you are stuck with junk....

Think the best thing to do is part it up and sell

This is what the 76-77 YZX looked like , greg

yzx125.jpg

i just traded a nitro rc car for this yz400 im not 100% on year i think its a 79 but idk i hope someone can tell the vin on the frame is 2x5-005*** and the motor is 2x8-001*** ive ben told its a it490 but i think its a 79 yz400 can anyone help? bow 008.jpg

Looks like the 79 YZ400 but I am basing that mostly on the aluminum swingarm. Someone sure went to some trouble to extend that arm too.

ya the guy i got it from sed it was sent to a guy in SC who extended swing arms it will burn it all the way to 4th and i like having the disk brake its alot better the a durm brake i love the bike

No mx bike had a rear fender frame loop, thats enduro stuff.

Now i know....

The 73 and 74 MX Yamaha's had a rear hoop behind the seat. I think the 74 and 75YZ's had one as well. The first year that I remember that did not have the hoop was 76

Mark