2006 drz400e ca with mikuni jetting help please and thank you

i have searched and searched but very confused.  i have 2006 drz400e ca model with the hated mikuni carb.  i know the fcr is the way to go but being a student its not in the price range.  i have removed snorkle and have added a pro circute t4 slip on pipe.  bike back fires once off the throttle.  was told by pro circut a rejet is not needed for a slip on pipe but have heard otherse say different.  what should my jetting be on a 2006 drz400e ca model with snorkle removed and pro circut slip on?  it has stock jetting now.

any help would be great thanks in advance to all the great people on this site

-jeff

Probably you are hearing the pops more as the muffler is a bit louder.  In any case you should rejet with the James Dean kit for the Mikuni for optimal performance if the carb still has the stock parts in it.

Edited by npm

is the james deans  kit the best jet kit for the crappy mikuni carbs?  and i have also heard that i may have had a vent line fall off thats causing my popping once off the throttle.  any ideas?  ooked around and cant find any blank hoses

thanks jeff

I have the Mik, with a DJ kit(needle/spring only used) and it carbs very nicely. There is apparently better response from the FCR. The Mik is not 'crappy', IMHO.

The mikuni is actually a great carb imho,  once jetted correctly (which is super easy and cheap to do),  along with the 3x3 mod and an after market exhaust,   it goes very well,  pulls strongly and does very good.

I know the FCR is better,  but i can still wheely in 1st gear by just pinning it,  and still get 55mph even when riding the bike hard.

but yeah,  if i found $560 bucks in the couch or in me wife's secret stash,  id be on TT hitting the submit order   :smirk:

Serioulsy tho,  nothing at all wrong with the mikuni,  get a jet kit,  do the 3x3 mod,  you will feel a good noticeable difference.

Edited by 150ron

Me too, and I fixed it today.

I'm at 500' above sea level with a 2001 400e and the mikuni.  3x3 mod and stock exhaust responded beautifully to the thumpertalk store's moose racing (dynojet) stage 1 jet kit for the 400s and thumbscrew mixture screw for the 400s.  I changed out the needle, spring, and main jet per instructions, just use the jet they recommend for a free flowing exhaust system and go up one in size for your "little bit more motor" than an s model situation.  This really opened up my e with the mikuni.  You might need about three turns out on the mixture with an exhaust system like that, but the thumbscrew makes that super easy to adjust. 

Me too, and I fixed it today.

I'm at 500' above sea level with a 2001 400e and the mikuni.  3x3 mod and stock exhaust responded beautifully to the thumpertalk store's moose racing (dynojet) stage 1 jet kit for the 400s and thumbscrew mixture screw for the 400s.  I changed out the needle, spring, and main jet per instructions, just use the jet they recommend for a free flowing exhaust system and go up one in size for your "little bit more motor" than an s model situation.  This really opened up my e with the mikuni.  You might need about three turns out on the mixture with an exhaust system like that, but the thumbscrew makes that super easy to adjust. 

You should have an Fcr fitted as stock on that E M8....

I have the Mik, with a DJ kit(needle/spring only used) and it carbs very nicely. There is apparently better response from the FCR. The Mik is not 'crappy', IMHO.

The only aspect I like about the mikuni carb is that it is better than no carb at all..!!!!!   :)

No it's ok, only mess'in with ya.....relying on engine vacuum for throttle slide movement does has it's positives, though the list is short....

1)....It is more tolerant to altitude and climatic changes....

2) ...also more tolerant to changes in exhaust gas flow.....

:thinking:   mmmmmm, I guess that's where the list ends.... :shocked:   .... :D

Edited by Craigo 485sm