2002 RM 250 Motocross Build / Need Advice

May have a line on a lightly used 2002 RM 250. Had on 03 back in the day set up for the trails. Currently I have an 05 YZ sete up for the woods but it does not work well on the track. I have always wanted to "build" a 250 2T motocross bike and think the RM might be it. I was planning on having the suspension revalved and sprung for my weight and remember having to replace the basket on my 03. Are their any other "necessary" mods to make a solid MX ride out of the RM? What years are compatible with the 02?  Thanks in advance for your help.

PS Cool pics of other RM's with the same body style appreciated as I am looking for ideas for graphics/ color schemes etc.

First off make sure that you replace the piston, '01 & '02's ate stock pistons (including mine), I recommend using forged Wiseco's (I did).  Engine wise you also might want to consider the smallest flywheel weight that you can find, and my '02 really did respond well to an FMF Fatty pipe.  These models also liked quality fuel, if you can find it try running a non-ethanol premium, I used pump 93 with no ethanol sold by my local Mobil gas station.

Here's my old '02 RM250, set up for woods.

2002%20RM250%20R25.jpg

First off make sure that you replace the piston, '01 & '02's ate stock pistons (including mine), I recommend using forged Wiseco's (I did).  Engine wise you also might want to consider the smallest flywheel weight that you can find, and my '02 really did respond well to an FMF Fatty pipe.  These models also liked quality fuel, if you can find it try running a non-ethanol premium, I used pump 93 with no ethanol sold by my local Mobil gas station.

Here's my old '02 RM250, set up for woods.

2002%20RM250%20R25.jpg

Thanks for the advice. Do you know if there were any major changes between 02 and 03?

I've tried to give my 02 125 a fresher,more modern look whilst also making it a bit different at the same time. Setting mine up for XC sprints though.

001_zps18fb004e.jpg

Here's my 07 which I'll be doing next, I've just mocked it up ATM so I could check a few things out. The rear guard is from an 05/07 RMZ 450 but I have modded it. Need to do some plastic welding before It's finished but happy so far.

I'll post more pics once It's finished but basically It's the rear part of an RMZ guard and then the front section which goes under the seat etc is stock, the plastic weld will be under the rear part of the seat. Just in front of where the guard bolts to the frame.

You don't really need to plastic weld them together, you could just cut them so one slips over the other, maybe a couple of Zip-Ties as well. I just want mine to look like It's supposed to be there. I plan to do a few in different colors.

Much better match for the front guard IMO. Although, I may even use a YZF front guard and plate yet but have always liked that rear guard.

Got a different shaped, custom made Alloy tank coming as well. The plan for this one is, once finished people will have to ask what it is.

Or maybe make it look like a new 2014 RM 144. The "Intended" shape of the Alloy tank would actually make that pretty easy  :goofy: .

001_zps78f7ab42.jpg

002_zpsc8e215cf.jpg

Edited by AddictedToBling

the stock clutch components are junk on most mx bikes Rm250 of all years is no different.

02 is a fine bike, I liked the showa suspension on the newer rm250s but the 02 is still a great bike that is just as competitive.

suspension with proper springs and valving for your weight.  After that its all on how much you want to spend. Pipes and silencers help a little. I would put down a few $ for porting.

my 2005

varner mid-top porting

race fuel only head mods (c12)

case porting/matching

#808 yz250 wiseco single ring racers choice piston with tin ring (lighter, revs faster than rm250 piston)

hinson everything

race tech suspension

applied clamps

factory fatty pipe.

ran stock silencer, shorty made it hit to hard in the mid.

Loved the graphics, they were from ceet but they dont make them anymore.

it was the fastest bike i have ever owned. Handful at times if i wasn't in shape or got sloppy it would just try and cut my head off.

rm.jpg

Edited by adam8781

Different exhaust valve is the biggie.

Read page 199:  http://www.eric-gorr.com/incl/pdfs/modeltuningtipsSuzuki.pdf

the stock clutch components are junk on most mx bikes Rm250 of all years is no different.

02 is a fine bike, I liked the showa suspension on the newer rm250s but the 02 is still a great bike that is just as competitive.

suspension with proper springs and valving for your weight.  After that its all on how much you want to spend. Pipes and silencers help a little. I would put down a few $ for porting.

my 2005

varner mid-top porting

race fuel only head mods (c12)

case porting/matching

#808 yz250 wiseco single ring racers choice piston with tin ring (lighter, revs faster than rm250 piston)

hinson everything

race tech suspension

applied clamps

factory fatty pipe.

ran stock silencer, shorty made it hit to hard in the mid.

Loved the graphics, they were from ceet but they dont make them anymore.

it was the fastest bike i have ever owned. Handful at times if i wasn't in shape or got sloppy it would just try and cut my head off.

rm.jpg

Different exhaust valve is the biggie.

Read page 199:  http://www.eric-gorr.com/incl/pdfs/modeltuningtipsSuzuki.pdf

After reading the info from Eric Gorr I wonder if I could bolt a later model cylinder on the 2002 RM 250 to eliminate the exhaust port issiue?

I've tried to give my 02 125 a fresher,more modern look whilst also making it a bit different at the same time. Setting mine up for XC sprints though.

Got a different shaped, custom made Alloy tank coming as well. The plan for this one is, once finished people will have to ask what it is.

Or maybe make it look like a new 2014 RM 144. The "Intended" shape of the Alloy tank would actually make that pretty easy  :goofy: .

Is this the gmx alloy tank? they say it uses the rmz shrouds but there are 3 different generations of rmz250 shrouds. I would love to see this when you get it.  I tried emailing them but received no response 

Is this the gmx alloy tank? they say it uses the rmz shrouds but there are 3 different generations of rmz250 shrouds. I would love to see this when you get it.  I tried emailing them but received no response 

Yep :thumbsup: . I'm guessing you mainly want to know which tank shrouds they use :p  :lol: .

Took me a while to get in contact with them as well. They are extremely bust ATM and said the tank will most likely take about 2 months. If you want one best to give them a call. Might also be a good Idea to order it now as well and then he can do both at the same time.

:lol:  2013 RMZ Shrouds   :cool: