Sign in to follow this  

Washington Buying a Vehicle with a Lost Title in WA State.

Hey fellow Washington residents, I'm looking into buying a project car from a family member and the title was "mis-filed" and is now lost. Since I'm working with someone I trust how would you go about securing the title and transferring ownership?

Go to DMV and get a lost title application, since it's a family member you don't have to go thru the certified letter process, just fill out the paperwork, get it notorized and file it with DMV. Piece of cake ;)

Second Rider 41.  No big deal if it is just the piece of paper that was lost.  The legal owner can also release interest in the vehicle on the same "Affidavit of Loss of Title/Release of Interest" form.  You should be able to download it on the DOL/DMV website.  I've done it several times when buying vehicles.

• Like 1

So If I get the current owner to sign the "Affidavit of Loss of Title/Release of Interest" form (and get it notarized) then I can go to the DMV and apply for the a new title in my name? Doesn't sound too bad.

Second Rider 41.  No big deal if it is just the piece of paper that was lost.  The legal owner can also release interest in the vehicle on the same "Affidavit of Loss of Title/Release of Interest" form.  You should be able to download it on the DOL/DMV website.  I've done it several times when buying vehicles.

Yup, I did this when I bought my first dirt bike.  Seller and I went down to the DOL together and took care of it right there.

So If I get the current owner to sign the "Affidavit of Loss of Title/Release of Interest" form (and get it notarized) then I can go to the DMV and apply for the a new title in my name? Doesn't sound too bad.

Yes, as long as the family member is the current legal owner.  It gets a lot more complicated if they never properly titled the vehicle in their name.  If that is the case, then you are back to filing for a lost title and waiting a few years before you can get a real title.