Sign in to follow this  

possibly cdi weak?

at the beginning of the riding season I installed the 50hp package on my 06 sm. My brother has a stock 09 sm with only jetting, 3x3 and a slip on. His bike is just as strong as mine which is extremely irritating considering the money I just threw at mine.

I've been dealing with a bad bog when I crack on the throttle. doesn't matter if its low, mid, or high, it just doesn't have the snap it should. I just installed a R&D powerbowl on my fcr-mx to try and tune the accelerator pump a little more since I suspected a rich bog from the AP squirt. I was able to make it a little better than what it was by adding a leak jet and leaning it out some but its still not where it should be.

We got our bikes around the same time and at one time we had the same mods and his always ran way stronger than mine did.

I'm trying to think if there is anything I may be overlooking that may cause a lack of performance. Is there any way it could be the the cdi box could be just worn out or weak? I don't have any issues starting the bike or any issues with lights being dim. SOMEBODY SAVE ME!!!

If I cant get this figured out, I may have to sell my beloved drz and switch to a 2013 wr450f...

You are pretty close to me, and I found that the recommended jetting settings were just way too rich.

Usually a CDI is going to work or it won't. I have two spare CDIs right now, but I don't think that is your problem.

• Like 2

You are pretty close to me, and I found that the recommended jetting settings were just way too rich.

Usually a CDI is going to work or it won't. I have two spare CDIs right now, but I don't think that is your problem.

What jetting are you running? Right now I've got 158 main, emn clip 3, and 45 pilot. No pilot air jet

Try a 150 mj

I think I would go a smaller pilot jet as well since you have the bog problem everywhere (So it's probably rich on both the MJ and PJ). You may want to try dropping the needle a clip as well.

Its best to make one change at a time, but you may want to change both jets at the same time and see what you get.

Edited by OhioYJ
  • Like 1

Ditch the emn needle and get an ncy-r or ncy-u. I just helped a fellow in the thread "dyno numbers". Check it out.

45 to 48 pilot

Ncy-u needle 3rd from the top

145 - 155 main depending on altitude and exhaust

Pilot air jet removed

Regular fcr mx bowl with changeable leak jet # 40

Merge racing acc pump spring

I've got a fair amount of mods, but I'm still on the stk crank and putting out 51 HP. It's soo hard to tell you exact jetting without a dyno, but I've done a fair share of them now for myself and customers, and mine and theirs fell within the specs I just gave you. It's all in the needle. Many will argue, but once I installed that needle, I immediately gained a HP and a half, and I hadn't even really started tuning. Lol.