Sign in to follow this  

Old yz250 vs xr250, what to buy

K so there's two bikes I'm looking at, I'm partial to Honda so I thought I'd post here, one is an 89 cr250, which I think looks really nice, the other is a 94 yz250, which is missing one side panel and it has the goofiest clear desert tank that sticks up really high

The yz is seized up, the cr turns over but has no compression

Just curious which way you guys think I should go, the cr thinks he has a hole in the piston, but last time I dealt with no compression it was because the bore was damaged.. the yz might be able to get away with a hone and new piston kit

I'm sure I could get either working, just curious which one has a stronger engine? Or a stronger frame, or better suspension for jumping?

Heres some pics of each

1380318464808.jpg

1380318471663.jpg

How much are these bikes? To me they both sound like basket cases which will take more $ to fix then what there worth. You can get a better condition bike for not much more $. Just my opinion.

Well I've got my own xl600 that needs new valve stems and valve seals and valves, I would be trading this bike for the cr, plus he'd give me $100 cash, or for the yz plus a ps3 and some ps3 games and Xbox games and a second front tire, I could probably sell fhe ps3 stuff for around $200 as I alrredy have one.. other then that there's really not a lot of options in my price range.. there was a running ark 406 for $600, but I want to get away from heavy air cooled engines

Those look like junk!!! 1000.00 to get either one right again. Really! I could make you a list of what they need .

Go for the ATK,,that motor is the perfect trail bike motor! (iv'e owned one)

That Yamaha looks like someone who thought they knew what they were doing did the mods.  It is probably hacked up pretty good under that tank and hack-job seat.  Don't bet on a simple piston and hone job getting it running right, you may have a seized crank.

The Honda looks more stock than modified.  Not sure how the parts availability looks for either bike.

The Yamaha would have better brakes and suspension (when rebuilt to factory specs), the two motors would be fairly equal.

As others have said, you are looking around $1000 per bike to get them running properly.  Neither is what I would consider a good project, unless you had one back in the day and just want another for nostalgia (ie my IT490).

I'd stock with a 2000-up of either model. You could put the same money in the old bikes fixing them up, or just buy a nice good condition newer bike

Out of those 2 id take the Honda. But I agree unless you want those specific bikes keep looking. Just saw an 01 go for $500. Was a fresh rebuild. Crank and everything but the guy didn't know he had to gap the rings. Siezed up right away...

• Like 1

Thanks for the tips guys, ya, I was jumping into it to fast, didn't go with either, I did end up gettin a cr250 though, 1988, so its old but in good condition and was fully built, wiseco piston, some fancy reeds, port and polished, ect.. and holy crap it is freakin fast!!! And I have a spare frame, second plastics and 3 sets of rims with a paddle tire :)

• Like 1

I would run away as fast as possible.. I see 1998+ kdx220s all over cragislist for 1000

• Like 1

Thanks for the tips guys, ya, I was jumping into it to fast, didn't go with either, I did end up gettin a cr250 though, 1988, so its old but in good condition and was fully built, wiseco piston, some fancy reeds, port and polished, ect.. and holy crap it is freakin fast!!! And I have a spare frame, second plastics and 3 sets of rims with a paddle tire :)

Overwhelming advice said you shouldn't buy either. Seemed like you listened to the voices shouting DONT.

You wrote you didn't, but somehow you got the CR250. What happened? follow you home?

Hey, glad you had fun on the first ride and its an 1989 model by the way. SCORE!

Fun bike with a reputation for harsh forks, fast motor and good reliability. You'd do well to buy a set of new tires unless you're partial to riding up and down your gravel driveway. Check out a set of Kendas for good wear and performance at a lower price.