Sign in to follow this  

California Holy Grail: Post 2002 GREEN stickered 2 stroke

hey all,

figured i gather some thoughts on this....

in the market for a 2 stroke, and i guess call me what you will, ive got to try the orange cool-aid....so im eyeing out 300s and 250s

anyway, i found an 08 300 xcw originally bought in california with a green sticker.....i checked the VIN on bike and registration myself, it all checks out.....original owner too

would you think that when i went to re-register it, they would catch that mistake? just curious what some of your thoughts or experiences have been

also as far as i know, the guy bought it in CA, original owner, never been registered out of state or had an engine swap

I can't help you with the green sticker question at all.

Have you considered the husqvarna wr300?

If the VIN says its a red sticker they will probably catch the next time around. So don't pay any more for it....

I bought a 2006 gasgas ec250 2t a few years ago. It stayed green stickered when I re registered it. Wish I hadn't sold it...

Damn that would be sweet if you didn't lose the green  . . . I would think if you have AAA that would be the best bet to go thru them for the transfer.  300 xcw IMHO would be the best bike for what you are looking for . . . best of both worlds with the 300.  XCW is the enduro model so you've got the wide ratio and bigger tank.  I looked at a new Husky 2T at the HD dealership when I was buying my smoker . . . not a big difference in price and I went with the used KTM if that tells you anything.  I was not impressed with the Husky at all . . . their 4 strokes might be different, but the smoker I looked at just seemed cheap, especially sitting next to a Husaberg 2T.

Edited by schmo

Does the vin have a 3 or c at the eight digit?

If it does, it's a red sticker bike, and I'm sure it does....Any ranger with half a brain at a state OHV park or a National Forest will probably call BS, regaredless of the DMV's mistake in issueing a green instead of a red sticker for that 08. AND - my AAA office does not do offroad registration....So I wouldn't by the 08 thinking you're gonna get anpther green sticker.

Gasgas did import a number of 2t bikes around 06 with a zero in the eighth digit spot, thus making them technically green sticker bikes....

Thanks for the replies all, at this point I see it as a 50/50 gamble

No the 8th digit it's not a 3 or C

Thanks for the replies all, at this point I see it as a 50/50 gamble

No the 8th digit it's not a 3 or C

Wow - interesting! What is it? Are you starting your count from the very first character, which I'm guessing is the letter V?

If it does, it's a red sticker bike, and I'm sure it does....Any ranger with half a brain at a state OHV park or a National Forest will probably call BS, regaredless of the DMV's mistake in issueing a green instead of a red sticker for that 08. AND - my AAA office does not do offroad registration....

Stay out of Gorman...  AAA now does offroad.  Never heard of individual offices being hold outs.

I bought a 2006 gasgas ec250 2t a few years ago. It stayed green stickered when I re registered it. Wish I hadn't sold it...

I'm not selling it back :p

• Like 1

If it does, it's a red sticker bike, and I'm sure it does....Any ranger with half a brain at a state OHV park or a National Forest will probably call BS, regaredless of the DMV's mistake in issueing a green instead of a red sticker for that 08. AND - my AAA office does not do offroad registration....So I wouldn't by the 08 thinking you're gonna get anpther green sticker.

Gasgas did import a number of 2t bikes around 06 with a zero in the eighth digit spot, thus making them technically green sticker bikes....

There are so many brands and bike styles and years out that all look similar nowadays that no ranger could possibly keep up with it, let alone be picking people off for having new green stickered bikes when there are many 'legit' brand new bikes everywhere. In addition, if his vin and engine numbers match he is legal and the ranger could do nothing.

There are so many brands and bike styles and years out that all look similar nowadays that no ranger could possibly keep up with it, let alone be picking people off for having new green stickered bikes when there are many 'legit' brand new bikes everywhere. In addition, if his vin and engine numbers match he is legal and the ranger could do nothing.

Agree.... same with the DMV clerk. They will look at the pink slip for proper signatures and value to tax on... and ask for your $$$.. that it..  ...

Take the Beta Rev3 trials bike... none of the newer ones should have any OHV sticker. Still the ones that do have stickers are sold between member of our trials club and the sticker always transfers... or a plated 06 450exc.. should have never got a plate. . but once in the system. I have never hear of one not transferring.

Edited by DrKayak

The Rangers are well aware of the 3 or c in the eighth digit...  they know bikes better than you think...  and at some SVRAs they have picture books on specific models to help them.

10 years ago I had a SVRA Ranger stop me on a Banshee in Red sticker season.  My Banshee was 1997 and Green sticker legal...  but I never used it and it looked brand new.  He did not accept that it was green sticker legal...   demanded registration...  and got on the ground to verify the VIN on frame and motor.

Another time about 10 years ago I saw a lady get a ticket for riding red sticker bike in green sticker season.  The Ranger recognized the bike was a 250R vs a 250X from 1/8 mile.   State OHV parks are looking to burn anyone on a technicality and have the data and knowledge to do it.

They've been up to speed for years.

CA state gov is totally tied in... State Parks harassing bikes with plates... CARB telling DMV what to do... CHP doing more smog related stuff than patrolling for drunks and speeders.

Best to just stay out of the state run OHV parks (SVRAs).

I still love CA but our state Gov is NUTZ... and my fellow voters just don't get it !

• Like 2

Agree with Jeff about SRVA's, but if you must go on a questionable bike, best to get in before 8:00 when they man (this goes for both male and female Rangers, fugly females look more like men than the men do) the booths. Go ride the forest, come back, load up and go home.

CA state gov is totally tied in... State Parks harassing bikes with plates... CARB telling DMV what to do... CHP doing more smog related stuff than patrolling for drunks and speeders.

Best to just stay out of the state run OHV parks (SVRAs).

I still love CA but our state Gov is NUTZ... and my fellow voters just don't get it !

Well, if they ever try to stop me with my plated 2T....

3tvkho.jpg

This is what they'll see as I drive by

• Like 1