04 CR250R

Just picked up a 250r with street legal papers that im eventually going to make into a supermoto.

I was driving the bike for the first time today and my friend was driving my old 01cr125 with me. In a drag race he was right beside me right up untill 4th gear.

I also dont feel like theres a powerband like the 125 had . I cant feel any top end in the lower gears..

Make sure you power valve is working.

My power valve wasn't working when I got my 05 and my 11yr old brother on a cr85 made me feel extremely slow. Take your rc valve cover off warm the bike up and rev it and the butterfly should open then shut when you let off the throttle.

Ok ill check that when i get home from hunting monday. The bike was sitting for the last 2 years with only a few rides on it. What would cause the power valve not to work?

Edited by Jharriet

Ok ill check that when i get home from hunting monday. The bike was sitting for the last 2 years with only a few rides on it. What would cause the power valve not to work?

your servo motor is probably corroded and rusted if all your wires are ok. Don't go to a dealer if you need a new servo you can buy one that fits perfect and operates the same for $4.99 at RadioShack or any hobby shop. I did this myself and the $4.99 servo is working like new so it's worth a try if it is your servo motor.

Im going to have to check it out monday night. I hope its nothing serious, ill start by taking out the power valve and giving it a good cleaning. Whats good to use to clean the pv?

Im going to have to check it out monday night. I hope its nothing serious, ill start by taking out the power valve and giving it a good cleaning. Whats good to use to clean the pv?

You can soak it in carb cleaner and scrub all the carbon off or try kerosine

I have a can of carb cleaner around ill clean it up with that.. Hope that my problem is either that or that servo motor..

Just take the powervalce cover off and start the bike and see if its working before you take your cylinder off to get powervalves out. Also to see if your pv is gummed up you can just take the pv cables off and see if you can move the pv by hand easily I would hate to see you do a bunch of work for nothing.

* take off the shrouds then the tank*

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1380456326.119513.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1380456526.451755.jpg

Edited by 2005cr250r

Just take the powervalce cover off and start the bike and see if its working before you take your cylinder off to get powervalves out. Also to see if your pv is gummed up you can just take the pv cables off and see if you can move the pv by hand easily I would hate to see you do a bunch of work for nothing.

^This^  You don't even need to take your cables off.  With the bike off move the PV butterfly all way to the right & left to check if they move freely manually (by hand). 

I can move mine with a broken wrist all the way so you have an idea. Don't take the cables off.

Sorry I wasnt aware it was that easy to move with the servo connected thats even better news 4 bolts and your at it. I would still start it and see if it works as well with the cover off.

The old man i got it off of had a plastic stopper in the rc valve. Took it out and its a animal:)

Awesome im glad your up and running brother.

Whats a good gearing setup for the woods ? With a bit of long end...

My bike has 12/48

Miss counted the front. It has 13/48. Witch im finding short. I was debating getting a 14 for the front. Would this give me more top end? I dont want to tame out my bike at the same time tho. Just want more high speed punch for long logging roads. The 14 front will take my ratio from 3.69 to 3.4.

Is anyone running this combo? (14/48)

Will my existing chain work with that combo?

And what are some similar combos you guys have tried and liked?

I dont mind switching the front sprocket depending on what im riding each day.

You have stock gearing. you would probably need 1 more link for 14. You would be giving up some low end with the 14 front and with our motors being a more mx style powerband It might not pull the slow stuff to well.

My 04 CR250R manual says stock gearing is 13/50. 3.846 final drive reduction ratio.

Maybe 04 is different gearing then my 03 but my 03 is 13/48