Sign in to follow this  

Theft prevention

After hearing about a rash of bike and ATV thefts around here and reading posts about stolen bikes I decided to do something to make mine harder to steal.  It's in a locked garage but as we know, home locks are not too hard to break.  I used an expansion bolt in the floor, cable with loops and padlock.  All nuts and bolts welded.  I know I'm gonna hear this tool or that could go right through that but it will slow thieves down.   The average meth head is probably not coming prepared to deal with the cable and lock.  

What do you do?

lock.jpg

Well the only time I lock my bike is if I'm going away for a day or two. Then i have a chain and a big master lock that i lock to a big metal table. Other than that its always kept in a locked garage, plus I have two big German Shepards lose in there....

I just keep them in the garage with the alarms on. I also have hidden trail cams around the house and in the garage.

I forgot to add this guy actually kept my bike from getting stolen. My house got robbed a few years ago and they broke in through a window when we weren't home. They took a bunch of stuff and there was 4 of them, but my 3 bikes and $$$$ in tools in the garage, they couldn't get in there because of the dog....

1380332817617.jpg

• Like 1

I forgot to add this guy actually kept my bike from getting stolen. My house got robbed a few years ago and they broke in through a window when we weren't home. They took a bunch of stuff and there was 4 of them, but my 3 bikes and $$$$ in tools in the garage, they couldn't get in there because of the dog....

A natural theft deterrent .

• Like 1

I generally keep mine locked inside the trailer, I haul with. It's way more difficult to break into, or even steal the trailer...versus breaking into my garage. My neighbors on each side, plus myself, have dogs. Generally, my neighborhood is pretty quiet...but you just never know.

A vicious animal in the garage works. A friend had his R1 stolen parked in front of his car cabled to the carport post. Thieves picked it up and carried it out.

need to keep it in a LOCKED BLD,with alarm,and cameras,don`t depend on insurance to replace,whats stolen,insurance company screwed me over on what was stolen,they factored in condition,book,depreciation,wear and tear,age,they tacked on so many "things" I only got a couple hundred bucks back, not a drop in the bucket to even start replacing what I had lost....

• Like 1

In all honesty locks and chains and ropes and wires are all just going to keep honest people honest. 15 seconds with a chain breaker and he's got your bike. If it doesn't have wheels, that just makes it lighter to carry. If a theif wants it. Hes gonna get it. Any can og insta freeze or a portable plasma torch is going to blow right thru anything you try to lock your bike up with. Its the harsh reality we live in today were nobody wants to earn what they want. Sad but true.

• Like 2

Insurance.

FTW because being bike less and dealing with insurance and police is soo much more fun than riding  ?

I choose to make mine a little more difficult to jack  then the one parked next to Mine 

at Home  it's  in the back yard  and We have no alley just fences and neighbors   on the road the steering is locked and a rotor lock for Me          makes it a pain to try and roll up a ramp with the steering turned and locked  and it won't roll

Mines in the shed. Has to locks on it. If someone were to come, I'd think theid break into the big shop than the shed. That's if they can get past the dog and 12 gauge...

After hearing about a rash of bike and ATV thefts around here and reading posts about stolen bikes I decided to do something to make mine harder to steal. It's in a locked garage but as we know, home locks are not too hard to break. I used an expansion bolt in the floor, cable with loops and padlock. All nuts and bolts welded. I know I'm gonna hear this tool or that could go right through that but it will slow thieves down. The average meth head is probably not coming prepared to deal with the cable and lock.

What do you do?

I never used to lock my stuff up just locked my shop, and the big shed. But then someone broke in. Didn't steal a bike but over 10K in my shop tools... I now have a lock in my tool box, tool box is locked into the shop floor, and every bike is locked pretty good. And my shop and she'd have some pretty gnarly locks on them. It sucks that it's a time were this is a real worry. I have nearly $1000. Into having my shop and tools and bikes locked up. It's ridiculous anymore..

I always keep a big chain and lock around my back wheel, to a steel workbench. IMO the dinky little cable that you have is just for decoration.

why put it on a wheel that can be taken off the bike?,surely better off through the frame?

my mate had his bikes chained up in his garage to proper ground anchors with thick chains etc. wheels were removed and kept in the house.one day a gang waited for his wife to go out and went to the rear of his house and smashed the patio doors in,ramsacked the house stole his x-box, dvd player,mobile phones etc,etc found the keys to his bike padlocks,found the wheels to the bikes loaded up everthing in their van and completely cleared him out.this happened in broad daylight in a normal street with neighbours surrounding him on all sides.it's very hard to stop a determined gang of thieves.this is a massive problem here in the uk and it's not safe to use open back trucks or trailers to transport a dirt bike.hardly anyone even puts mx stickers/decals on their vans anymore as it's just an advertisment for thieving scum.my mate now has to keep his and his son's crf 450's in the local big yellow storage centre for peace of mind.expensive but it's the only way for some people nowadays.         

123.jpg

• Like 1

why put it on a wheel that can be taken off the bike?,surely better off through the frame?

It loops around the back wheel, swingarm, frame, to a steel workbench bolted to the ground. I also have a dog in the house (attached to garage), which barks at EVERYTHING. Sometimes, when I can't lock the bike up, I take parts off (seat, wheels, subframe, gas tank) just to make it look like its broken, ie not work taking.

My house was broken into once (on christmas eve), luckily nothing was stolen from the garage.

Thieves are truly the scum of the earth :foul:

Those scum bags come into my garage, there getting shot in the face!!!!!! Let the sticker on my garage door be a warning... NOTHING IN THIS GARAGE IS WORTH YOUR LIFE!!!!!!