2014 KTM 500EXC - Need more bark (aka: power)

Hi All,

Just purchased a 2014 KTM 500EXC. Love everything about the bike but, I am a vet motocrosser and can't live without the motocross bike bark!  

Any recommendations to open up the 500exc would be greatly appreciated. I've heard an XC-W black box and Exhaust is a good start.

Thanks in advance!

The "black box" as you call it is the same just different maps. You want "motocross" feeling you purchased the wrong bike.

Load the EU map, mechanically advance the timing slightly, pull the stupid screen out of the back of the muffler and call it good.

My 2013 500xcw is easily an equal to my 2011 kx450f, but I've seen others post it was too soft, makes me question poster experience.

... pull the stupid screen out of the back of the muffler and call it good.

I haven't done this to mine yet, but I wonder if something has changed on the 2014 models. 

As near as I can tell, cannot take the screen out of the muffler, without "destroying" something.  It's welded in there.  You can take it out, but you can't put it back in, if you wanted.  Isn't that "screen" required for spark arrestation?

CADman_KS

My 2013 500xcw is easily an equal to my 2011 kx450f, but I've seen others post it was too soft, makes me question poster experience.

The 500s don't rev out nearly as far as a motocrossers....

I haven't done this to mine yet, but I wonder if something has changed on the 2014 models. 

As near as I can tell, cannot take the screen out of the muffler, without "destroying" something.  It's welded in there.  You can take it out, but you can't put it back in, if you wanted.  Isn't that "screen" required for spark arrestation?

CADman_KS

The spark arrestor is inside the exhaust. On the '12 and '13 it unscrewed.

The spark arrestor is inside the exhaust. On the '12 and '13 it unscrewed.

I really need to take that end cap off sometime, and see what's in there for sure.

One thing is for sure, you don't unscrew that screen on the 2014's...

CADman_KS

The 500s don't rev out nearly as far as a motocrossers....

Roughly same peak hp (52-54) but ktm does it from 8000-9000, kx from 8500-9500, neither engine can be soft with that kind of power, again I have both and I ride both, differences in power are minor. Maybe the exc is slightly softer by comparison.

Start out with a 14 tooth front sprocket. That's a nice boost and increases the torque.

Start out with a 14 tooth front sprocket. That's a nice boost and increases the torque.

I'm still running the stock sprockets, but a 14 on the front is the next change I'm making. That will definitely help with the lower end which isn't all that bad even at that, but a little more torque would be nice especially when climbing...

CADman_KS

I think my 13 with the 14 tooth front sprocket has plenty of power. If I hold it open its straight up and out of there. The maxxis tire was not that great either it didn't get the power to the ground.

The engine performance video is nothing but an ad for the "Magic mod." Laughable.

Also no exhaust has shown much of a difference over stock. There's endless dyno runs posted on the web showing this. Load the EU map and tweak the timing a bit. Eventually there will be cams and other performance parts out.

The engine performance video is nothing but an ad for the "Magic mod." Laughable.

Also no exhaust has shown much of a difference over stock. There's endless dyno runs posted on the web showing this. Load the EU map and tweak the timing a bit. Eventually there will be cams and other performance parts out.

Everything I've read indicates the FMF 4.1 exhaust with the EU map opens up the 2014 ... one member here did just that on his new 2014.

I don't want a loud raspy exhaust... so is the $850 FMF 4.1 this just a waste of money?

Thanks

How do you adjust the timing??

Everything I've read indicates the FMF 4.1 exhaust with the EU map opens up the 2014 ... one member here did just that on his new 2014.

I don't want a loud raspy exhaust... so is the $850 FMF 4.1 this just a waste of money?

Thanks

I wouldn't say a waste of money but little bang for the buck. KTM uses a Krizman style arrestor which is not particularly restrictive. Remove the screen in the end or install a PMB cap. I own the XC1 dealer tool to map my ECU in any manner I wish. Other than advancing the timing a bit over the EU map nothing else works that well. I'm guessing it has a fair bit to do with the cam grind. The old 400 RFS was the same way. Very linear power curve no matter what you did. Some guys replaced the cam to get that mid range hit that the original was missing.

I'm a bit surprised there isn't (that I know of) aftermarket cams. My understanding is the powerbomb type header helps a bit.

I wouldn't say a waste of money but little bang for the buck. KTM uses a Krizman style arrestor which is not particularly restrictive. Remove the screen in the end or install a PMB cap. I own the XC1 dealer tool to map my ECU in any manner I wish. Other than advancing the timing a bit over the EU map nothing else works that well. I'm guessing it has a fair bit to do with the cam grind. The old 400 RFS was the same way. Very linear power curve no matter what you did. Some guys replaced the cam to get that mid range hit that the original was missing.

I'm a bit surprised there isn't (that I know of) aftermarket cams. My understanding is the powerbomb type header helps a bit.

The problem is from what I've read and heard is you can't remove the screen on the 2014... its welded in.

The problem is from what I've read and heard is you can't remove the screen on the 2014... its welded in.

Huh, every '14 I've seen it just "fell" out. ;)

Here in the states, the exhaust on the 14's are different then that of the 12' and 13's. The rear end cap is literally welded in. Only way to remove the rear is to cut and destroy that part of the exhaust.

Huh, every '14 I've seen it just "fell" out. ;)

Is that the "magic moderator" mod ? ... :ride: