2014 KTM 500EXC - Need more bark (aka: power)

What I find curious is how folks are so willing to part with their money on bike modifications. With no proof before hand of what said mod will do for them. In some cases before they have ever set the wheels to dirt. In the industry of modifications for cars. Dyno result are in many cases proudly displayed, but with dirt bikes rarely if ever. I understand it's not just about more power, where as it is with cars. But how the power is delivered. A dyno can show you that, but you never see fmf, pro circuit, the list is long show you what your buying. They just claim "huge power gains".  I had some email correspondance with best dual sport on this very issue. It was a short conversation. I don't think anyone is looking for 15 hp gain from these mods, but it would be nice to know what they might have found out in their R&D. Which you know they used a dyno. You think they used the seat of the past method? Please. There is an old saying " you spend 10% of your money on 90% gain in hp, and 90% of your money on the remaining 10% gains." It's like squeezing blood out of a turnip. But before I spend $900, $1200, or $1500 dollars on modifications on a already expensive toy. I need at least one out of two things; Knowledge of what said product will do for me, and a guarantee I'll like or my money back in 30 days. If you say that's too much to ask. Like'em love'em or hate'em rekluse offers both. Bikes are getting so much more performance out of the crate. It usually just takes small tweaks to make them more to your liking. As time goes by, and bikes become more and more advanced. I think the snake oil vendors will find themselves on the side lines. Just my .02

P.S. Sorry to hijack.

Bestdualsport posted their dyno chart at the bottom of their 2014 500exc page.

Most good KTM dealers know how to make these bikes run hard and will gladly help you with a new muffler and Euro map. If not, after spending 10K plus you purchased from the wrong dealer. The EXC is extremely lean and corked up from the factory to pass smog tests as everyone knows.  The new WXC i rode was night and day from the EXC, mods were only the Euro map and a slip on exhaust. I would try that first and take it from there.

If your looking for snap and a quick revving motor the 450 XCF will run away and hide from a 500 EXC and WXC, but its not street legal.

If your looking for snap and a quick revving motor the 450 XCF will run away and hide from a 500 EXC and WXC, but its not street legal.

Man I disagree, the new 450xcf I rode feet slow in comparison to my 500. Though I liked it because it revved farther, it didn't feel that much lighter and definitely gave up some torque. The 450xcf I rode had about 20hrs on the motor vs the 300hrs I have on my 500exc....

Hi All,

Just purchased a 2014 KTM 500EXC. Love everything about the bike but, I am a vet motocrosser and can't live without the motocross bike bark!

Any recommendations to open up the 500exc would be greatly appreciated. I've heard an XC-W black box and Exhaust is a good start.

Thanks in advance!

Optiwin - at the end of the day you'll need to take in the comments and the trials and errors of others in trying to squeeze more out of the 500 than the engineers already have. For the most part, the 500 is solid right out of the box and i'll buy the first round to anyone responsible for development and production of our latest rides. But, there's always room to tailor it to your needs, whether that be with a bigger hit, smoother mid range, gearing, or suspensions mods...all impacting aforementioned hit and smoothness and of course your original question of more bark. Unless you're racing on the pro circuit I think you've got a bike that can hang or surpass many of its competitors just as the bike is set up today. Enjoy and ride safe. If you find that magical set up that works for you, be sure to share it with your fellow TT inmates. Cheers!

Bestdualsport posted their dyno chart at the bottom of their 2014 500exc page.

That's nice to see except he says "What this doesn't show you is where the power really increases on these bikes".......... Uh yes it does. That's kinda what a dyno is for. Not just increase/decreases.

Some of the desert racers install the sx piston and cam. That will def wake her up, bumps up compression almost 2 points and the cam has more lift and duration. 

Some of the desert racers install the sx piston and cam. That will def wake her up, bumps up compression almost 2 points and the cam has more lift and duration.

Interesting, I didn't know they made a 500 sx, or even a 500sx piston/cam.

Interesting, I didn't know they made a 500 sx, or even a 500sx piston/cam.

Oops your right I meant the 450 sx piston and cam, same 95mm bore as the 500

I have a 2014 xcw 500 that I just purchased after just selling my 2009 530. I'm currently modifying my 500 to mirror my 530 which what incredible power and punch for the mountains if you do the following engine mods: get twin air filter kit that replaces the stock screen with billet cage, new muffler either akropovic or FMF...don't worry about the pipe, have the bike remapped but since you have a exc you may have to do some other things, change the gearing to 13:52, and last since you didn't spend 500 for a new header that will do nothing for you find a good good mechanic and have you head ported and polished, finally use vp t4 fuel. Trust me: this will give you the power you always dreamed of.

Regarding the 2014 500exc;Is the" EU Map"similar or equivalent to the "unrestricted" map that is avaiable for 2009-2012 Husaberg four-strokes? I can't find any references for an unrestricted map for the new KTM's.My Bergs Run perfectly with full Ti FMF megabomb headers,4.1 cans,twin air screen eliminators and 3 way map switch set to "wild".I'm hoping to get the new 500 to run as strong if I can.

FMF 4.1 exhaust.  Pull out the stock spark arrestor and buy the larger FMF diameter arrestor.   Huge difference in flow.  Combined with EU mapping the bike is a best!

Edited by The_Rooster

FMF 4.1 exhaust. Pull out the stock spark arrestor and buy the larger FMF diameter arrestor. Huge difference in flow. Combined with EU mapping the bike is a best!

I thought the spark arrestor needed to be cut out as it's almost welded in? (I haven't looked at the exhaust yet)

I thought the spark arrestor needed to be cut out as it's almost welded in? (I haven't looked at the exhaust yet)

The stock exhaust is welded in I believe.   The FMF can be removed.  

I really need to take that end cap off sometime, and see what's in there for sure.

One thing is for sure, you don't unscrew that screen on the 2014's...

CADman_KS

I don't know about the EXC, but the '14 XC-W spark arrestor is held in with a screw in locking ring.

I haven't done this to mine yet, but I wonder if something has changed on the 2014 models. 

As near as I can tell, cannot take the screen out of the muffler, without "destroying" something.  It's welded in there.  You can take it out, but you can't put it back in, if you wanted.  Isn't that "screen" required for spark arrestation?

CADman_KS

Not true use a punch to get screen out way better, if you install EU map and wild plug it performs like a dirt bike should.

guys there are multiple screens,  the spark screen is deep inside, that double screen on the outside is just a noise screen

the noise screens are not welded but they sit inside a welded ring, you have to bend and fold them to pop out.