2014 KTM 500EXC - Need more bark (aka: power)

guys there are multiple screens,  the spark screen is deep inside, that double screen on the outside is just a noise screen

the noise screens are not welded but they sit inside a welded ring, you have to bend and fold them to pop out.

Sorry lads... so what screen are we saying we should remove?

The noise screen? Or the spark screen which is deep inside the exhaust?

Sorry lads... so what screen are we saying we should remove?

The noise screen? Or the spark screen which is deep inside the exhaust?

really most just remove the noise screens, the ones you can see from the outside

really most just remove the noise screens, the ones you can see from the outside

But by the sound of it, they're only removing the screen which makes it louder not actually affecting the 'flow' which would primarily be restricted by the spark arrestor ?

But by the sound of it, they're only removing the screen which makes it louder not actually affecting the 'flow' which would primarily be restricted by the spark arrestor ?

It definitely effects the flow , its actually two screens together , they are very hard metal screens, the trick is to drill out most of the center, but leave the outer edge so you can hit it with a punch, and make it fold, they will pop right out  (easier to leave on the bike, while drilling and punching).  You'll have to do something with the mapping if you remove the screens. or bump the tps up to about .65    

you actually have to remove the end cap if you want to get at the spark screen  , word of warning those little aluminum screws corrode real fast and can freeze up, you might snap one off.

Ive been descreened for a long time, just did the Spark screen and really not much difference  , the noise screens make the biggest difference ,, that's assuming you spark screen isn't plugged up with carbon, my fuel diet the spark screen is and was very clean.

Edited by Spud786

This is what the screen looks like before you punch it out...

image.jpeg

This is what the screen looks like before you punch it out...

That's not what they look like on a '14 and above though.  That "outer" ring is actually welded to the end cap, and it doesn't unscrew...

That's not what they look like on a '14 and above though.  That "outer" ring is actually welded to the end cap, and it doesn't unscrew...

I know... that was just to show him what the dual layer perforated screen looks like.

I bought an EU end cap so I can remove and replace. I found it has a 11% larger opening than the "welded" US end cap.

This is the EU end cap... nice a sparkly.

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

it is not welded!

Here's a pic of the stock exhaust (on the bottom) with the screen removed.  Above is the FMF 4.1   As you can see the opening is much larger on the FMF.   

IMG_4278.jpg

Here's a pic of the FMF with the larger diameter spark arrestor.   Way more flow...  

IMG_4296.jpg

Edited by The_Rooster

Here's a pic of the FMF with the larger diameter spark arrestor. Way more flow...

Cheers rooster!

By going to an fmf is expected the best outcome would be a remap to get the most out of the more 'flow'

Cheers rooster!

By going to an fmf is expected the best outcome would be a remap to get the most out of the more 'flow'

Desmog, Eu Mapping, FMF =  BEAST!!!!    and a lot more grunt!

• Like 1

Lads… question not related to power… what do you guys recommend for security in the sense that if I ride to work etc. do you trust the oem steering lock (I've Heard there pretty crap) or do you paddock the rear sprocket? What have/do you use

Sorry for the wrong thread but I didn't know where else to put it without starting a new thread

Lads… question not related to power… what do you guys recommend for security in the sense that if I ride to work etc. do you trust the oem steering lock (I've Heard there pretty crap) or do you paddock the rear sprocket? What have/do you use

Sorry for the wrong thread but I didn't know where else to put it without starting a new thread

The Ktm is not a commuter, but

when I commuted, I used the steering lock, a disc lock and a cable lock   , plus a thin Half cover , out of sight , out of mind.

Edited by Spud786

The Ktm is not a commuter, but

when I commuted, I used the steering lock, a disc lock and a cable lock   , plus a thin Half cover , out of sight , out of mind.

Yeah I have really no intention of using it as a commuter but when I need to just wanted to know what others used