Oil Change Problem

I followed the manual, step by step and When I drained the oil for the first time on this new (to me) bike only 500 ml came out, maybe less. Thinking I avoided a time bomb I shook the bike around to get any extra oil out buttoned her up and filled her up, Ran her for 3 minutes waited 2 minutes checked the oil and it was almost completely up the dipstick! So I ran her again, checked it again and the same, So I oped the drain plug, dumped some out, checked oil level did this about three times, The last time I just left the bolt out and waited until no more oil came out, I buttoned it up and drove it back to my parking spot, and checked it one last time and it was a little above the full indicator.

The math,

~500 ml came out originally, burnt dark oil

added 2 liters, 10w-40 Valvoline, a clean amber oil

removed another 1.5 liters while trying to get the level to drop, a mix of the two colors.

what happened? Ive changed oil before on other bikes and cars, and it was like clock work.

I don't know why nobody ever mentions the third drain plug thats under the oil filter. Use that so you don't make a mess ? I found it myself when changing the oil the first time

Because it is not a drain plug.. Not designed to be removed often or reoccurring. It is an oil galley port for oil pressure testing.

I don't know why nobody ever mentions the third drain plug thats under the oil filter. Use that so you don't make a mess ? I found it myself when changing the oil the first time

Just undo all three nuts on the oil filter cover about 1/2 a turn, pull your drain pan under that side of your bike and then lean the bike over towards you. 

You should be crouched down by that side of your bike.

Lean the bike over to you as far as looks/feels safe to do, you only need to go just past upright.

Eyeball the drain pan to make sure it's centred directly under the oil filter cover and then finish removing the cover nuts.

The oil will then drain out clear of your engine casing.

Have a rag at the ready to catch the last few dribbles for when you lean your bike back towards the stand - there you go, filter drained with no mess.

What mess are you guys talking about!!!??? Unscrew the drain plug(s) when it gets loose enough to do by hand keep pressure on the bolt as you do it out the last few turns then when its not threaded anymore quickly move yourhand (with bolt) of of the way... and there you have it oil drained no mess... you guys sound like a bunch of girls not wanting to get your hands dirty ?

What mess are you guys talking about!!!??? Unscrew the drain plug(s) when it gets loose enough to do by hand keep pressure on the bolt as you do it out the last few turns then when its not threaded anymore quickly move yourhand (with bolt) of of the way... and there you have it oil drained no mess... you guys sound like a bunch of girls not wanting to get your hands dirty ?

Nah, I think you're missing the point. ?  *(or I am  ? )

I've read on here about how some guys get really cheesed when the oil filter housing dumps the little bit of oil held within down the engine casing. If you remove the cover with the bike lent over then the oil with drop clear of your engine - which means less clean up rag work afterwards.

The "drain plug" the OP was talking about isn't an actual drain plug but if it was used as one it only drains the filter housing.

I don't think anyone on here is worried about oil on their hands, and if they were they could just wear gloves. ?

Nah, I think you're missing the point. ?  *(or I am  ? )

I've read on here about how some guys get really cheesed when the oil filter housing dumps the little bit of oil held within down the engine casing. If you remove the cover with the bike lent over then the oil with drop clear of your engine - which means less clean up rag work afterwards.

The "drain plug" the OP was talking about isn't an actual drain plug but if it was used as one it only drains the filter housing.

I don't think anyone on here is worried about oil on their hands, and if they were they could just wear gloves. ?

I'm not the OP, and I have done all of this before haha

Good day,

My case is the opposite of the TS, I just tbought a 2003 drz 400s and I ordered the TT CHANGE OIL KIT AT ONCE

but while waiting for the kit I rode around 120 kms, the kit arrived today and I changed the oil at once

the problem is I drained 3.8 liters of dark oil, I think the PO add oil when he looked at dipstick and its down even when the bike

is not started and keep on adding...My question is,  Is there any parts to check in case the oil is overfilled and the bike is used?

Thanks and more power to TT.

Good day,

My case is the opposite of the TS, I just tbought a 2003 drz 400s and I ordered the TT CHANGE OIL KIT AT ONCE

but while waiting for the kit I rode around 120 kms, the kit arrived today and I changed the oil at once

the problem is I drained 3.8 liters of dark oil, I think the PO add oil when he looked at dipstick and its down even when the bike

is not started and keep on adding...My question is, Is there any parts to check in case the oil is overfilled and the bike is used?

3.8liters? In a drz?!?! Or you mean your pickup? Ahaha wtf

Good day,

is not started and keep on adding...My question is,  Is there any parts to check in case the oil is overfilled and the bike is used?

I'm amazed it held that much oil without overflowing from the frame oil tank when running (& pucking it out the breathers).

I guess the engine is fine, if anything was wrong I'm guessing it would have shown itself.

Good day,

No danger at all, no damage unless you fall down from the oil slick it'll leave as it pukes oil from several places. 

Can you really get 3.8 L of oil in a DRZ?  I mean fill up the oil tank and fill up the motor, do you think it would even run?  I once worked on a DRZ that had about 3 L of oil in it and it was a mess.

That why Im concerned..but I rode today the only difference I felt is the shifter now that it got 2L I can shift easily and I can find the neutral easily..

I measured it it and its realy 3.8 maybe more coz some of it dripped to the floor hope theres no permanent damage inside the engine

Thanks for all the reply.