Sign in to follow this  

1983 kx80 oil problems

i am wondering if anyone can give me some pointers. i recently rebuilt the top end on a older kx80 with a new sleeve,piston,gaskets . it was smoking excessively so i put new seals in the crankcase. now it wont run but for a few minutes and bog and die. i removed the muffler and oil started pouring out of it. it didnt look like tranny oil but 2stroke oil... more than i have ran through it since the rebuild. what is the right ratio of gas and oil for it? i have ran 40:1 in it and it smokes really bad. i have never seen that amout of oil pour out a muffler before. atleast 2 or 3 ounces of black smelly oil. some one help me!

Your bad crank seal sucked oil into the crankcase and expelled it into your exhaust,you need to remove the exhaust and clean it out with brakeclean or similar solvent,then blow compressed air through it to dry. Your silencer packing is now saturated with oil and needs to be repacked. As far as oil ratio,you can ask ten moto guys and you will get ten answers.   32:1   That is 4 ounces to one gallon.  Excessive smoking is usually from rich jetting,not running it hard enough,or a restrictive air filter.