Sign in to follow this  

Quite Possibly the Coolest GoPro Mount Ever, and For Only $20!

I know this mounting angle has been done before, but I didn't only want to capture myself but the scenery around me as well. Everything cost a total of $20 (not including the GoPro hardware).

Materials: 

5.5' extending monopod ($15 at target)

1/16" x 3' aluminum strip cut into 4 equal-sized pieces ($2)

Hose clamps ($2)

Rubber rings for hose clamps ($1)

2 curved GoPro mounts with vertical clamps

Something heavy as a counterweight (I used two pieces off a set of adjustable free weights)

IMAG0236_zpsfce0b941.jpg

The aluminum strips wedge between the slots of the GoPro mount, the width is 1/8" each (I used 2 pieces 1/16" thick because thats all they had at the hardware store). I marked it up where I liked it and drilled the holes. Then I cut 2 slits for the hose clamps to slip through.

IMAG0238_zpscf7a5929.jpg

IMAG0241_zps42d673c0.jpg

Finally I slipped the monopod through the hose clamps, wedged a rubber ring between them the reduce rattling, and slipped a counterweight on the end. 

IMAG0242_zps6c20e318.jpg

The whole thing can be easily removed and I can use the top mount for a more traditional forward mount. The best part is with the snapping extenders on the monopod is that it will stay upright unlike those twisting ones. I haven't tried it on the bike yet, but tried it just walking around the house, the thing is solid! Let me know what you think.

Edited by crfcryzyzfltz

hope youre not riding any tight trails with that thing on, and you gotta clean the top of those cabinets bro.

personally i think it'd be cooler (and safer) if the bar was facing the other direction and the camera faced your back

Edited by mynewcr250

I ride open desert so no chance of getting it caught on anything.

good, i could only imagine that thing catching a branch lol

I ride open desert so no chance of getting it caught on anything.

Just don't go over the bars, You'll do an Inverted pole volt using ya head. Mind you, as long as you get it on Video, All good I suppose   :lol:

Edited by AddictedToBling

good, i could only imagine that thing catching a branch lol

clothes line

Then you don't get to see my rock hard abs  :smirk:

lol,,, come on.. do you even lift bro? hah jk

Is the helmet forward heavy now? Sweet angle and kit as long as its practical and not a pain while riding

Yeah, so I put a counterweight on the end. As light as it is, a camera 5 feet away will pull your head down like no other. You'd probably give yourself whiplash riding it without some weight behind you.

It's been shown that a GoPro on the top can help contribute to a snapped neck...I can't imagine the risk you're taking with a device like that on top of your head...

No shot is worth that shit. Sorry.

• Like 1

I've seen something like that, except it was behind the rider, and on a slight angle. It was truly an amazing angle.

Nice 'stache btw :p

Edited by Euro Enduro

Anyone who rides wooded or overgrown trails and uses a GoPro, should check out this mount. It'll save your neck...

Edited by owizeman