Sign in to follow this  

Sanding plastics

I'm goin to refurbish my plastics. Any tips on how to sand motocross plastics to make them look good again. Can you use a little electric mouse sander?

Thanks in advance for tips

Sand them to get scratches out, going up to 2000 grit wet sandpaper. Then polish them, and you got brand new looking plastics. I don't see why you can't use an electric sander.

IMO, getting new plastics is easier, they're not that expensive. Plus, being in B.C. you got GnarlyParts on your doorstep.

Or get graphics to cover up the ugly plastics :D

Haven't tried it myself but I've herd of people using an Oxy on them after they have sanded them. Herd it gets the White creases out of Yamaha plastics as well.

I'd just use finer grit wet and dry sand paper, with water as you go if I were trying to polish them but I just buy new ones these days.

I bought a "Plastics Renewal Kit" back in the day. It was basically Nail Polish. You sanded the Plastics and then applied it. They did look new  (Banshee Black plastics) but you had to apply it without getting streaks in it and then it flaked off eventually. Way too much hard work IMO   :rolleyes: .

Edited by AddictedToBling

Haven't tried it myself but I've herd of people using an Oxy on them after they have sanded them. Herd it gets the White creases out of Yamaha plastics as well.

Oxy as in a torch ? 

if so

I wouldn't use anything other than propane  or even just try a heat gun   and even then one screw up and their done

well done   LOL

Oxy as in a torch ? 

if so

I wouldn't use anything other than propane  or even just try a heat gun   and even then one screw up and their done

well done   LOL

As I said. It's not something I've tried or would try, But I've herd it a lot over the years and was just sayin   :p .

As I said. It's not something I've tried or would try, But I've herd it a lot over the years and was just sayin   :p .

Hey I was just clearing it up  cause you put the idea out there without any of the caveats   but it does work  when done properly 

works super on cut plexi/plastics  ETC  for polishing the ends

Edited by Zimman

Hey I was just clearing it up  cause you put the idea out there without any of the caveats   but it does work  when done properly 

works super on cut plexi/plastics  ETC  for polishing the ends

Fair enough   :thumbsup: .

I tend to forget that common sense Isn't all that common these days :devil: .

I have tried this in the past. It's always a pain. If you have a discoloration issue (old Yamaha fenders turning white we're the worst) you can use a heat gun to bring some color back. Just keep blowing back and forth over the spot heating the plastic. Be careful not to melt it, but it will bring some of the blue back.

Sanding would work, but it's a lot of work to do it and easier to just get new plastics.

The best method I have found to make plastics look good is a really good clean. Wash everything as good as possible. Then when the bike is dry spray WD-40 on it. The lubricant will blend everything together and make it shiny. Then when you ride, it will clean easier after. Even better than WD-40 is SC1. The SC1 is a spray on polish, spray it on and the bike will look as good as new. You will still see the scratches but not as easily. You can wipe it off so you don't have the residue left behind, but I usually just spray it on and leave it. Again, it will also help when you want to clean the bike after riding. Plus the smell when you spray it on is amazing. It's like liquid smarties!

Edited by MotoAce51

The best method I have found to make plastics look good is a really good clean. Wash everything as good as possible. Then when the bike is dry spray WD-40 on it. The lubricant will blend everything together and make it shiny. Then when you ride, it will clean easier after. Even better than WD-40 is SG1. The SG1 is a spray on polish, spray it on and the bike will look as good as new. You will still see the scratches but not as easily. You can wipe it off so you don't have the residue left behind, but I usually just spray it on and leave it. Again, it will also help when you want to clean the bike after riding. Plus the smell when you spray it on is amazing. It's like liquid smarties!

WD-40 makes plastics shiny for a bit, but over time it dulls them. I use WD-40 on my metal parts though. You can also use Silicone Spray/lube. Doesn't work as well as Maxima SC1 though.

Can't give you much tips,   but I can tell you when I bought my used CRF that was sitting outside for months before I got it....the white side fenders were badly discoloured.  I bought a new set, but decided to keep the old ones on till I learned to handle the bike properly.  My friend told me this crazy idea of using a handheld sander and giving them a quick sweep. No fancy tricks or anything, and the difference was night and day.