SLOWBRO! the worlds slowest C class rider

As I sit here icing my knee, i have to ponder why there is nothing reliable about racing in C class.

Typically at my local track the C class is loaded with sandbagged and to be honest today wasn't really an exception. The faster sandbaggers cause trickle-down-sandbagging and the guys riding in D class now are so fast that the track had to create a new place for new riders. First Time Beginner, also known as FTB-D class.

Since i was feeling good this afternoon I signed up for 125B and got my bike prepped for some supercross. Unfortunately my decision was short lived since no one else signed up for a B practice. I ended up riding with the ''C'' folk since there weren't enough guys and gals to have a good ol' B level practice. My first time out on the track went fairly well... I was annoyed by someone who thought it was necessary to bang bars with me every corner, But hey i wouldn't expect anything less. BUT THEN, on my last lap I saw him, SLOW-BRO!

Slowbro was riding a brand new KTM 250xc and from the looks of it; had never been on a race track before. He was rolling every jump and while I encourage new riders, I have no idea why he wasn't racing beginner. To be honest I don't even know how the officials let him on the track. The only piece of gear he had on was a helmet for the 80's that had the visor broken off! Slowbro was actually quite intriguing now that i think about it.... He had on carhartts with logging suspenders and a pair of work boots. To top it off, he wore a T-shirt and was riding without goggle or gloves. I was kind of worried for the guy so I found him in the pits and offered him a pair of gloves and goggles... his response was to offer me a dip of Copenhagen, but he didn't accept my gear..... I did accept the Copenhagen. 

I bring up my encounter with Slowbro because i had another meeting with him later in the day. I was coming out of a 180 degree turn just in time to see Slowbro rolling the lip of a jump. He was on the outside line of the track, so i took to the inside line and hit 3rd gear in time to triple. Mid air i see Slowbro cut into my line and he is headed right for my landing!   F@%&!!! I think to myself as i lock up the bike. I wasn't going to bail and hurt myself just because some idiot is trying to get himself hurt. I decided to ride it out, but i had both brakes locked before i made impact. By some magical feat i missed Slowbro by inches and my front tire landed next to his footpeg. As i come screeching to a halt i bottom out my forks and one side of my bars slam down on the back of slowbro's seat. Some how Slowbro rode out the whole event, that guy was so lucky. The act of crashing felt like falling out of the sky and landed with all my force onto my right knee. I ended up barrel rolling off the track because my knee was instantly locked up. knee braces aren't design to protect you from such a fall,(or atleast mine aren't). I was so furious the instant i hit the ground, I looked around ( like an athlete looking for a referee to call a foul). I felt like someone needed to T-bone Slowbro and knock his reckless a$s of the track. 

After some help from friendly riders I was able to drive the hour trip home in the dark, but right now my bike and gear are sitting in the rain because i cant unload it by myself.

This brings me back to the beginning of my quandary. Far to often it seems like there are over qualified riders in the lower classes and it only seems to be getting worse. At some point shouldn't track officials regulate the classes in which participants are riding in? Half the tracks I ride any more use transponders to keep accurate lap times. I have noticed that the top 3 riders in each class are fast enough to keep up with mid pack riders of the next class. Shouldn't someone step up and stop the sandbagging? if not for cheating do it for safety. I know i wont be riding again this season, but my accident could have been prevented. If classes were properly regulated it would make for better racing. Not only that, but guys like Slowbro wouldn't slip through the cracks. Track officials need to enforce the rules whether they help or hinder a riders ability to win. 

END RANT,  now I'm going to drink no less than 3 beers and contemplate going to the ER. 

Been there, open B practice i landed on some fat guy on a husky tc450, but I actually landed on him, took him out hard and I got to spend the rest of the day with cracked ribs. Having driven 6 hrs to make this ride day I wasnt about to go home.

Talk to whoever is in charge. Its like politics but you can go to the governing body alot easier. When I raced in bc there was a rule (i think it was a rule)  once you do so many races or seasons in C class (our D) you are not permitted to race that class anymore.  I forget what the criteria was for the mandatory move ups. I moved up as quickly as i could because i wasnt going toget faster slaying C class.

sorry to hear about your bad luck.  Bring it up at the riders safety meeting, talk to the people at sign up.  Change it because you are completely right!.

cheers

adam

They used to do it right in MN enduro racing. In five races I was booted to the A class. I raced my first race at thirty years of age. I was already a seasoned rider. I signed up C for my first race, because it was my first race. I won C overall, I got booted to B. I never did win a B Overall. In four B races I got booted to A class. This guy that eventually got booted to AA won B overall every time all before he, and I, got booted to A class (he would beat me by a minute or two every race THAT BASTARD! :) ). I did finish on a box every race though. Usually winning my class.

If a guy has the same result I did were moving through the classes now he could sandbag his way through for several years.

I think they slacked off because some guys won't race at all if they don't think they can win a trophy or whatever. Every one of those guys would be a lost entry fee.

How was there not enough b class riders? That seems odd. They should have grouped you with A class. Yes there faster but b class riders know track etiquette.

When I was 19, and running B class I hit a guy off the landing of a pretty big double. I was running a new crf450. It was a 2005. The guy I hit was running a yz250, but was rolling every jump! He managed to keep up in front with me and another guy, we came out of a turn and I hammered it to clear the double and once I'm up there I see the guy cut into my line, I started panicking And I locked up the breaks(stupid because I didn't pull the clutch and I stalled her..) I landed with my front wheel right on this guys spine. He instantly fell off and and when he did he actually made my front end fall to the track wich caused me to get cross rutted sort of . I could keep it up plus my bike wasn't running . I fell and saw my bike fly 30. Feet summersaulting threw the air. It landed and pieces just blew off. I got up as soon as I could to see if that guy was OK, wich he was and I helped him get his bike up but it had encountered a a big pointy rock to the hot stator cover.. So he walked it off in a pissy mood and left me sit there, even though it was his fault!! To end my story I will say that was the last race of that crf450. I still have the number plate with my number that's ripped directly up the center. The only salvageable parts on it was the motor,, swing arm, rear shock, both hubs, and the subframe( idk how the frame cracked in 2 spots but the sub frame was fine.. That was a terrible day. I was out of the end of the riding season that year.

I've seen the above scenarios many times.  Most of your local tracks or sanctioning bodies either don't keep records of riders finishes, or just don't have the money, time or logistics to do so.  The transponder method is great, but most tracks can't afford it.  Most have just enough money to buy 50.00 dollars of deisel to somewhat prep for a race.

Most of the tracks I ride have open practice (yikes), and many times we are double gated with other classes for races (yikes again).  One thing I do to help reduce some interaction with different skill level riders, is try not to get into a situation with them.  If I'm not absolutely sure I can clear a jump without someone mathmatically coming over in my line, I just roll it.  It sometimes kills the groove you have going, but so does an injury.  Even during a race with mixed classes, I'll stay away from an unsure rider, even if I loose a position or don't gain one.  I look at like a challenge to make up for lost time. 

But yes, this is a problem, and not sure it can be addressed.  

where were you riding supercross in idaho? theres only one place i knew of last night and your story is a bit off lol

How was there not enough b class riders? That seems odd. They should have grouped you with A class. Yes there faster but b class riders know track etiquette. 

messed up huh? sandbagging at its finest

Edited by Vernsker298

where were you riding supercross in idaho? theres only one place i knew of last night and your story is a bit off lol

WA my friend

so you saw someone who was obviously new to track riding, not smart enough even get the proper gear and you see him BEFORE you commit to a TRIPLE, yet you still go for it expecting him to hold his line? then get pissed off at him?? LOL

yes, tracks should do something about sandbagging, but youre blaming him for a rookie mistake when it all could have never even happened if you used some clues you saw to make a better decision.

in socal there is no such thing as split practice, you show up at the track and ride with pros (literally) to absolute beginners all at the same time and you make decisions based on what you see. ive rolled plenty of jumps out of my own safety because i wasnt sure the guy in front of me cleared the jump.

i treat the beginner riders like i treat the mini riders. you wouldnt jump a triple if you saw a mini rider rolling them right in front of you would you?

Edited by mynewcr250

I do think there should be someone watching practice and if you don't look capable of riding, then you should get your money back and sent on your way. Its one thing if slowbro had new gear and "fit" the part of a motocross rider. However, reading the description above makes me feel he didn't even look remotely like he belonged. Doesn't matter if they're slow, its not his fault he's slow... but not wearing proper gear is a big red flag for me and I wouldn't have let him ride if I were that series.

I run into slow people more often in practice then in racing. Its one of those difficult things you've gotta figure out how to deal with and be very careful about. I've seen more accidents due to slow people not understanding proper etiquette, then anything else. It sucks because it actually is the biggest problem with the sport. Anyone can buy a bike and go ride, no license, no instruction, nothing. I do think there should be a license necessary to race motocross. I think just someone watching you ride and how you deal with things, then putting a big fat check mark next to your name on a list saying "OK" is simple enough, hand those riders a license. Those riders who look like they don't belong, those who are suffering, they should just not be able to race until they can come back and prove themselves and get a license.

Thats just my thought... in roadracing thats how it works and I think motocross is far more dangerous.

Very well written Vernsker.  Very sorry you got hurt, but glad it wasn't more serious.  How hard would it have been for a flagger to pull SloBro over and say "Son. you can't be out here in this class"?  We have local tracks that prohibit beginner/novice from jumping certain triples during races, which makes great sense, but this is also a lesson for practice.  Thanks for sharing and hope you get better soon.