Sign in to follow this  

Questions for an expert

I am currently looking at a 1994 ford idi 7.3L diesel extended cab automatic 4 wheel drive truck with 194000 miles for $3500 is this a good deal and is the motor a good motor?

Wont make big power like a newer diesel. Dont hot rod it and they will last. Is it a turbo set up? I think they came with ATS turbos kits form the factory. The trans are a crap shoot, some last forever some die soon. The F250s have a retarded front axle/suspension set up. They suck, wear out bushings, and tires like they are going out of style. The F350s have a very solid D60 front axle. If its a F350 and 100% rust free and in good shape I might go in for that much. But of course try to get it cheaper.

Edited by 87XR250R

7.3 is a great motor, we have one in our 95 tow truck and it has over 500,000 on it with few problems. It won't make the power that the new ones make but it will hold together, doesn't have all of the emmisions crap and if you have basic diesel knowledge, a lot of the stuff can be done on your own. They're much simpler then today's diesel motors.

I bought the truck for 3100 it seems to be a damn good truck but not much power will I get more power if I change the down pipe? Is it safe to turn up the injector pump?

I bought the truck for 3100 it seems to be a damn good truck but not much power will I get more power if I change the down pipe? Is it safe to turn up the injector pump?

leave the pump alone if you turn it up the egts will go thru the roof and you can melt the pistons.   the 7.3 idi is a good motor.  just make sure when you change the coolant if you ever do. to put in a special additive. (cant remeber the name)  its keeps the engine from getting pinholes in the cylinder walls.  and if you ever have to replace glow plugs ONLY BUY MOTORCRAFT.   no autolites.

edit- is it a turbo?  if its a turbo you should be able to turn the pump up a quarter turn

Edited by 563ripper

Just drive it. My 7.3 van has 249,000 reliable miles. No mods = no problems

It's not intercooled but still plenty of muscle to tow my toy hauler.

i would just leave it stock as stated above.  but one thing that you should consider doing is putting in an aftermarket tranny cooler,  and when you do that bypass the radiator.  just have the cooler hoses going from the trans to the cooler.  the trannys need to stay cool to keep working

Give some details on the truck. Changing the downpipe won't do much for power, but will give you lower EGT's. I have a 3" downpipe on my '96 and it dropped my EGT's by about ~75 degrees. Check out the forums. They are a huge resource just like Thumpertalk.

those trucks are really choked down in the exhaust.  I would tear it all off and make the exhaust the same size as the turbo outlet all the way back.  I'd put a minimal amount of muffler on it.  You'll get about thirty horsepower cleaning it up.  There are also better injectors for these that will give you some more ooomph. 

those trucks are really choked down in the exhaust.  I would tear it all off and make the exhaust the same size as the turbo outlet all the way back.  I'd put a minimal amount of muffler on it.  You'll get about thirty horsepower cleaning it up.  There are also better injectors for these that will give you some more ooomph. 

unless he upgrades the injection pump putting bigger injectors on an idi will do nothing..  that and theres only like one or 2 companys that even make bigger injectors for the idi.   i think you might be thinking of the powerstroke.  

nope.  owned a new 84,85,86, 88 and 93.  what's available now for injectors I'm not sure.  My son has an 84 sitting in the yard that we just put a new pump on that's been turned up to the max.  not alot above stock because they didn't have much adjustment.  But I'm pretty sure you can find some different injectors if you look hard enough.  But all my normally aspirated motors really improved with just the exhaust.  I did have a banks turbo/exhaust system on my 88 and that ran pretty solid.