Freeride 250/350

Look at the pics in the article, they are doing some very kool things related to the air filter and even mounting the resonator further back on the side, very smart. 

I dig both bikes... though both are EXTREMELY under powered, which I thought was quite interesting. 

Look at the pics in the article, they are doing some very kool things related to the air filter and even mounting the resonator further back on the side, very smart. 

I dig both bikes... though both are EXTREMELY under powered, which I thought was quite interesting. 

For their intended purpose, they don't need an abundance of power. As long as they have okay off-idle power, traction is of the most importance.

Yea, I just think people who want a KTM, will want more then 25hp out of a 250 2 stroke, thats just horrible. 

Isn't the freeride a cross between a dirt bike and a trials bike? It's not exactly my cup of tea either, but I think it makes sense for it's intended purpose. I doubt the suspension or brakes could handle a bike much faster than that.

Isn't the freeride a cross between a dirt bike and a trials bike? It's not exactly my cup of tea either, but I think it makes sense for it's intended purpose. I doubt the suspension or brakes could handle a bike much faster than that.

Actually, its a go-everywhere bike. They designed it for people who live out in the country who need a conveyance to go into town and get supplies, maybe go do some trail riding, that sorta thing. Its the most multi-purpose dirt bike they've made. If I had a farm somewhere, it would be the perfect lil bike to get around on. Street legal, agile and not that expensive. 

But 25 ponies? I know 85's that have more power then that. 

Actually, its a go-everywhere bike. They designed it for people who live out in the country who need a conveyance to go into town and get supplies, maybe go do some trail riding, that sorta thing. Its the most multi-purpose dirt bike they've made. If I had a farm somewhere, it would be the perfect lil bike to get around on. Street legal, agile and not that expensive. 

But 25 ponies? I know 85's that have more power then that. 

I was offered to testride a Freeride 250R yesterday, I can upload the GoPro footage of people are interested, not that the riding is anything to look at, but if someone wants to see the bike being ridden, just let me know.

anyways, if you are complaining about the lack of power in a bike like this, then you are completely missing the point of this bike, this is not supposed to be a high revving 2 stroke, power is very gentle from bottom and builds slowly, no hits anywhere in the range, you can whack the throttle in any gear at any RPM and never be surprised by the power, the bike never pulls unintentional wheelies and never looses traction, this makes it SUPER EASY to ride, perfect if you wanna play around, perfect if you are riding on gnarly stuff like rocks, roots, dense forest and stuff like that.

suspension is really soft, and it's supposed to be like that, it's not a jumper at all, it's meant to be ridden at a slower pace over rougher stuff, being equipped with a trails tire with low airpressure gives you traction and control everywhere.

this is also a perfect beginners bike, easy to ride, light, forgiving, fun, being a 2-stroke without a powervalve means it's a simple construction, very stingy with fuel too.

if you are very short, this bike would be perfect too, it's not that tall to begin with, and the guy who brought the bike said that the wheels from a SX85 would bolt straight on.

I'm used to the power of my CR500 and my XR650R, and at no point did I feel the freeride was underpowered, sure it would be boring in open terrain or on the road, but in tight stuff or just playing around with it, it's perfect.

• Like 1

I totally agree that these bikes are "play bikes", if you need real power then you need to keep looking.  The small gas tank on both models bothers me.  Otherwise I would seriously consider getting a gray market model.

They are a bike you can play on but in no way are they soft. I have a 350 as I feel it suits me better but I'm still keen to ride the 250 when it's available.

If this link works it's from our last club trailride. This is the sort of terrain a Freeride excels in.

I cleaned just about every climb and probably had the easiest ride on the day.

Edited by brent j

They are a bike you can play on but in no way are they soft. I have a 350 as I feel it suits me better but I'm still keen to ride the 250 when it's available.

If this link works it's from our last club trailride. This is the sort of terrain a Freeride excels in.

I cleaned just about every climb and probably had the easiest ride on the day.

the guy who let me try the 250 is a KTM mechanic, he much preferred the 250 over the 350 as it is a much simpler bike, easier to maintain and service, quieter, a bit more peppy compared to the 350 too.

I'm surmising here as I'm yet to ride the 250 but the 350 is the bike that will TAKE YOU places you wouldn't expect

The 250 would be more capable but you would have to RIDE it more

I found the comments in the link in my first post to be very true. Keep in mind that I'm 54 years old so I'm looking for ease of riding. To this end I also have a REKLUSE auto clutch and love it

bump. got a ride on both and my choice was the 250. i had read somewhere the 250 needed to be ridden harder but it seemed to have as much low down grunt as the 350, and more importantly was less likely to stall at just above idle. but i can see why some would prefer the 350. 

bump. got a ride on both and my choice was the 250. i had read somewhere the 250 needed to be ridden harder but it seemed to have as much low down grunt as the 350, and more importantly was less likely to stall at just above idle. but i can see why some would prefer the 350. 

I must be missing the point of the Freeride bikes (250 & 350).  Through out that test they kept implying that if you wanted to go fast (or even race) through this or that type of section they would favor bike A or B.  To me, if you wanted to go fast through ANY section you would not be looking at a Freeride ~ period.  The Freerides are meant to be "play bikes" for adults ~ nothing more.  Something that you'd take on a ride around the farm or on a camping trip slow ride with the wife and kids, but never to a race.  This is why I felt that they should have a larger gas tanks and nothing else, that way you could ride all day (at a slow pace) and just take in the view.

Does that sound right or am I not understanding what the Freerides are?

depends on the sort of riding. in any standard enduro i dont think either freeride would suit all. or for riding open trails. but if you were doing extreme enduro and an experienced rider but not approaching the top level guys i think the 250 would definitely be an option. our mob are looking to slow down due to so many injuries last year so everyone is taking a hard look at the 2t freeride as a bike for tackling very snotty terrain but can still boot along nicely in the "transport" sections as well.

there's been a lot of debate since the first freeride came out and from what i can see the only way guys can see if it is their cup of tea or not is a good test ride.

I know old thread. Anymore thoughts on the Freeride 250R Thinking of getting one. Found a guy who can get me custom springs for my over 200lbs weight. Love your videos.

At 46 Im thinking slow and fun is better.